Alternative Brake Master Cylinders -Using Stock Location

What I meant was you can get a self contained pedal assembly and not try to shoehorn brake mcs into the limited space of the steering column assembly. You might have to modify the footwell, not sure if there is enough room for that.

What I meant was you can get a self contained pedal assembly
I was just giving you a hard time. :) I saw those complete floor mounted pedal assemblies and had the same thought. They are all set up and easy to integrate as one unit. If the car was being converted to track-only use then I would certainly go that direction. However I can see the desire to keep the changes a little simpler overall (less total work involved) by just swapping the MC at the stock location. That being said, it would be much easier to do that with one 'tandem' style MC as was noted. ;)

EDIT: Adding a sample picture of these floor assemblies (this one is in a Miata):
C8BA2150-9552-417D-ADA3-FDD2D5072C0C_zpsefexscyd.jpg

Still back & forth on this . I was now thinking of the Tandem with bias valve setup - in part because the bias valve has the two outlets that will feed the split front circuits, currently handled by the stock 3 port outlet design of our master. The dual master setup linked in the first response has no evidence of how the split front circuit is handled. Also can't find any sources for balance bar parts that are not really generic, certainly not like the parts he/she used.

You should simply message Stefan Högberg on Facebook messenger (stefan.hogberg.3) and ask him what he did. He is very responsive (I wanted to buy the Uno Turbo he took out before the swap).

Cheers,
Dom.

I was just giving you a hard time. :) I saw those complete floor mounted pedal assemblies and had the same thought. They are all set up and easy to integrate as one unit. If the car was being converted to track-only use then I would certainly go that direction. However I can see the desire to keep the changes a little simpler overall (less total work involved) by just swapping the MC at the stock location. That being said, it would be much easier to do that with one 'tandem' style MC as was noted. ;)

EDIT: Adding a sample picture of these floor assemblies (this one is in a Miata):
View attachment 28893

I recall my old Citroen having one of more pedal that pivoted off the floor - I didn't care for the 'feel'. I'd rather deal with hanging setup.

Unlike that Miata, we don't have the depth to 'recess' the assembly to avoid raising the entire pedal arrangement.

You should simply message Stefan Högberg on Facebook messenger (stefan.hogberg.3) and ask him what he did. He is very responsive (I wanted to buy the Uno Turbo he took out before the swap).

Cheers,
Dom.

Thanks Dom! I had no idea who the pics belonged to, the album doesn't indicate. I will message him.

Started cutting up the spare pedal box, using those pics as reference

screenshot-photos.google.com-2020.01.28-07_41_34.png

IMG-20200127-151919.jpg

I welded the removed plate to one I cut from a Volvo PS mount bracket - I gauging the offset to be 1.5 - 2", based on those pics. I won't make the offset pieces until the MC's are here. The other piece of this is that the bushing and pivot rod have to be lengthened by the same amount. I have a spare bushing, the rod will probably have to be machined.

IMG-20200127-173312.jpg

IMG-20200127-173333.jpg

reshaped the brake pedal arm to get the offset back close to stock spacing of almost 4" - leaving it like this until I get the box offset done, if it's only 1.5", then the brake pedal will move to the appropriate offset without further adjustment.

IMG-20200127-173306.jpg

Last edited:

Cheers,
Dom.

hmmm. can't figure out which one, don't see any Fiat stuff out in the open :)

Screen Shot 2020-01-27 at 7.40.20 PM.png

Since I have to drop the pedal bracket again to either mod my clutch pedal lever or install the Volvo clutch master, I'm considering replacing the stock brake master with something of a newer design/construction.

Can't find any specific examples of this, I know we have had the discussion in various threads though.

Any suggestions?

Just thought of another option that hasn't been discussed (although a bit more extreme): you could use a floor mounted configuration like in a 105 series Alfa. I remember replacing the master cylinder in my 1750 in less than 30 mins as I just needed to crawl under the car!

Edit: it looks like it has been done already:

70775302_10218914381025770_1857391244611682304_o.jpg

Cheers,
Dom.

Hi Hussein,

he posts on the "X19 Enthusiasts Club" group. The specific post was this one. And this is his profile page. I think from there you can message him.

Cheers,
Dom.
Just thought of another option that hasn't been discussed (although a bit more extreme): you could use a floor mounted configuration like in a 105 series Alfa. I remember replacing the master cylinder in my 1750 in less than 30 mins as I just needed to crawl under the car!

Edit: it looks like it has been done already:

70775302_10218914381025770_1857391244611682304_o.jpg

Cheers,
Dom.

Thank you Dom.

Lanciahf brought up floor mount setups on the last page :D. Personally I don't want to mess with the whole driver/pedal/seating/steering arrangement. I like the orientation of everything as it exists, and raising the floor & pedal pivot setup alters the whole arrangement beyond where I would want to go. Probably have to raise the seat to regain the lost depth of the floor, and god knows where it goes from there. I'll stick with what seems to me the simplest approach :D

Thinking about shaft and bushing:

The bushing will be two parts, so the question is where to cut it, and how to make sure inner end of clutch leverage load on it it supported. I'm thinking to add a deep sleeve in what was the original outer location, so that both halves of the bush are properly supported. The brake pedal simply rotates on the bush, the clutch end side-loads the bushing, based on what I see in terms of bushing wear.

IMG_20200128_092634.jpg

Ya, that stock bushing design is a bit oddball in my opinion. As you say, one pedal acts on it one way, and the other is different. And the whole thing is held from rotating by a tiny, thin tab that tends to wear into the soft bushing - allowing it to rotate when the pedal pivots get dry. That tears the bushing up and you have to locate a new one. I'm not fond of the whole design and considered doing it differently. But in the end I got lazy and just refurbished what was already there with several mods to hopefully make it work more reliably.

Perhaps take another look at what Bernice did to replace the bushing and see if it triggers any thoughts for your modified design:
https://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/that-plastic-pedal-box-bearing.25400/#navigation

Ya, that stock bushing design is a bit oddball in my opinion. As you say, one pedal acts on it one way, and the other is different. And the whole thing is held from rotating by a tiny, thin tab that tends to wear into the soft bushing - allowing it to rotate when the pedal pivots get dry. That tears the bushing up and you have to locate a new one. I'm not fond of the whole design and considered doing it differently. But in the end I got lazy and just refurbished what was already there with several mods to hopefully make it work more reliably.

Perhaps take another look at what Bernice did to replace the bushing and see if it triggers any thoughts for your modified design:
https://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/that-plastic-pedal-box-bearing.25400/#navigation

Thanks for the link, Jeff - it's timely as I have been communicating with her on this via the FB xWeb page :)

Edit: I actually posted in that thread, and promptly forgot all about it :D

Last edited:
Interesting to see the solutions you create. I am surprised that the pedal box is so different than the Lancia Scorpion/Montecarlo. The steering column crash folds are concave rather than convex because the brake master is inside the box on the Lancia., but really very similar. I am going to mount a Tilton/Wilwood asssembly on the floor of my restomod. I think I have the room, and I'd like to make it (kinda) adjustable.

I enjoy your illustrations as well.

Enjoyed also your mask skills. I've also been making masks with latex. So fun to create.

We're probably weirdos.

:D

Thinking about how to address the bias bar. I really don't want to make the 'bias box" from scratch, i'd have to figure out pivot angles, blah blah, and I have no sources for lever parts. I found complete boxes online in the UK (nothing in the US???), once I figured out the search term. Not cheap & no idea if I can even make it work. I made a mockup based on the overall dimensions, so I'll see how that fits the space when I get home.

compbrake1.png
compbrake2.png

Stefan's version broken down:

IMG_20200129_102201 (3).jpg

What I leaning towards is modding the brake pedal & fitting the Bias bar sleeve where the existing pivot/push rod is now. That would make life simpler for sure, if I can make it work that way. Rough sketches:

IMG_20200129_102209.jpg

IMG_20200129_102218.jpg

Last edited:
Thinking about how to address the bias bar. I really don't want to make the 'bias box" from scratch, i'd have to figure out pivot angles, blah blah, and I have no sources for lever parts. I found complete boxes online in the UK (nothing in the US???), once I figured out the search term. Not cheap & no idea if I can even make it work. I made a mockup based on the overall dimensions, so I'll see how that fits the space when I get home.

View attachment 28939 View attachment 28940

View attachment 28945

What I leaning towards is modding the brake pedal & fitting the Bias bar sleeve where the existing pivot/push rod is now. That would make life simpler for sure, if I can make it work that way. Rough sketches:

View attachment 28941

View attachment 28942

What about something like this that comes with an integrated (adjustable) balance bar?

https://kaedings.com/part.php?part=1435&page=category&var=cat&id=28

Dom.

View attachment 28939 View attachment 28940

View attachment 28945

View attachment 28941

View attachment 28942

BTW: Look what I just found :)

http://160592857366.free.fr/joe/ebooks/Automative engineering books/Brake Handbook.pdf

Lots of interesting stuff in there!

Cheers,
Dom.

Back