Alternative Engine Swaps...

Nice, athletic stance. Some freakin' deep dish wheels with adjacent steel flares, roll cage, the whole thing is evocative of a Smokey and the Bandit Firebird and a Lamborghini Silhouette/Jalpa. I like your use of materials and powertrain as well. Good design choices and execution. The wing is too much aesthetically for me but it is probably an active element in this build. Well that's the vibe I get.:cool::D

I had actually set it up with a Porsche style whale tail off of a 914 but it didn't jive.
There are a couple different styles of 914 whale tails. I could see one of them possibly working, but not the others.
This is the style that I think might work on the X. It takes after the later 911 "SC" whale tails:
DSC010931062385984.jpg

These styles I do not think would be good for the X (nor for the 914 for that matter):
post-71-1151127457.jpg post-346-1151117537.jpg

Another Porsche tail spoiler that is iconic is the "duck tail" on very early 911's. It is really just a large spoiler that was proportioned well for the car's shape:
Porsche-whale-tail-1.jpg

That isn't too far from the X1/9 rear spoiler on the Prototipo or FAZA:
IMG_0054.jpg

Also similar to the Stratos spoiler:
e1e1f0aa9c4b7fed3ff1fa22475590a2.jpg

Initially I did not care too much for the recent trend in track/street car rear spoilers. Basically a flat plane similar to the pic below. But I've grown to like it after seeing some really well done examples at SEMA last Nov.
88032.jpg

On the topic of 914 body work, this is an example of how to make the car really light weight:
b4a3cb4c3c8cc9f918f75ccafd2ca947.jpg

I used VW type 2 c/v boots as they are a bit more robust in my opinion and have the same bolt pattern as the Fiat and only require one clamp/band on the small end of the boot.
That is the first time I recall hearing about VW boots fitting the X's CV joints. Makes sense that the bolt pattern is the same - it is common for several CVJ's. The "type 2" is the old van/bus. Those transaxles were popular for off road use due to being much stronger than the type 1 (bug) units. So the CV boots are still readily available (inexpensively), including some aftermarket HD ones. Here is what they look like. You can see how the metal flange bolts to the joint and one clamp secures the other end to the axle:

51Ssd0sYQhL.jpg

I'll have to keep this in mind for future reference should I need replacement boots. Thanks.

Hi guys!
these is my contribution to the engine swap discussion, it is just another car but interesting.
Ford Falcon Wagon with a motorcycle 125cc engine. Necessity is the mother of invention?
I m sorry it is all in spanish

Where’s the drama? There was supposed to be drama! All the YouTube’s of cars have flames and parts flying when mods are pushed to their limits. :)

Congrats on a building a very smooth swap. Remarkably quiet car...remarkably quick. Much envy.

Yeah, standard stock GM ECU.... L61. Tuned with HP Tuners.

Thought I might have needed a 2bar map. @ only 8psi of boost, I'm good. Car pulls very well. No bad habits except a slight torque pull under hard acceleration. I am probably going to swap out my two remaining factory rubber engine mounts and the torque mount for polyurethane. Engine and trans may be shifting a bit under heavy load. This should correct the ever so slight pull under full boost. Kinda reminds me of my old Chevelle. Car is a blast to drive and handles highway speeds like it's sittin still.

View attachment 23865

The Brinks truck will be dropping off the bags at 2pm and the flatbed will be dropping off my car at 3pm, gimme a holler when it's done :)

But I seem to recall several points during the build when you were ready to burn it to the ground. Just reminding you why we do this to our personal cars as a hobby and not to other people's cars for money (speaking for myself anyway). :D

View attachment 26679

Big show... Tough competition... Fiat held it's ground and then some... First place in class... Was up against cars from 70' to 79'... I haven't forgotten about the spoiler.

Congrats and I am happy it was a well run show, often it isn’t possible for something that is unusual to actually win against all that is mainstream.

Well deserved for a job remarkably done!

Just wanted to express my personal disappointment with this thread (not the project), specifically the OP's decision to delete much of the content. I was hoping that the OP would have a change of heart, restoring the pics and info that he has previously posted and providing additional detail, since as far as we know this is the only Ecotec-swapped X out there, compared to say, K-swap exxies, which are as common around here as Camrys in a Costco parking lot :p;)

Just wanted to express my personal disappointment with this thread (not the project), specifically the OP's decision to delete much of the content. I was hoping that the OP would have a change of heart, restoring the pics and info that he has previously posted and providing additional detail, since as far as we know this is the only Ecotec-swapped X out there, compared to say, K-swap exxies, which are as common around here as Camrys in a Costco parking lot :p;)

Another in the works, sorry for some missing pictures.

https://xwebforums.com/forum/.php?threads/xxx1-9-build-update-6-17.35205/

Back