Alternative Engine Swaps...

Many thanks to Stingray250 for this thread.

I know we would all like more info. I'd like to see more because I do my share of vicarious daydreaming reading and re-reading posts like this. However, I believe that IF I had the requisite nerve and skill to tackle such a project, this thread would be an adequate roadmap to guide my path. I think the photos of the car on the rotisserie in primer ready for paint would give me enough info on the brackets needed to integrate the Ecotec engine into the X chassis and everything else I could find somewhere, or figure out because I had nerve and skill. I think a lot of effort in a project like this is solving the problems as they come up and only so much info can help with that. From an Intellectual Property perspective, solving those problems amounts to trade secrets and I don't blame the OP one bit for holding some back. Had he done a video series of the build and put it on U-tube, he would be earning advertising revenue while a ton of people watched this build. If he opened a shop doing these for $25K or $30K a piece, he'd have a waiting list.

I think this is an important project because it is a guide to putting a cheap, big power, reliable engine in the X. The GM Performance Parts Stage 2 kit for the Solstice GXP Ecotec gave 290hp/340ft lb with a factory warranty, and GMPP execs said the bottom end on these engines is good to the 600hp level. With some crafting and tuning, a nerve and skill person could get their X in the ballpark with the blue, Manuel Dondi driven, hill climb X. That thought provides a lot of daydreaming.

If they had had the inclination to at least at a bare minimum turbocharge this car back in the day, It would have been up there with the best of the best.
Although I think the overall best solution today is a complete modern drivetrain transplant like you did, I am building a turbo system for the original Fiat SOHC engine in one of my X's. My intent is exactly as you describe, a factory approach to giving the engine some more drivability.

These ecotecs really are great engines, pretty easy to come by and can handle a lot of extra power.

tiger1.jpg
tiger2.jpg

Different. Not sure how I feel about disruptive surfacing. Need to see it outdoors I think.

Are you happy with it? That's what matters :D

Thread was deleted due to some of the build components possibly being mass-produced.

Here's the way I see it.....

Anybody can do normal... Matter of fact, everybody DOES do normal. Be as original as you can be.

Very few people in life ever do themselves, whatcha waitin for? Last time I checked and 10 out of 10 people gonna die, no one gets out alive.

To my knowledge, this is the ONLY Porsche Lava Orange, Turbocharged GM powered , tiger-striped Fiat X1/9 on the planet, the Universe, Solar System or the Galaxy.

I'd say I'm good with it..........

It's Grrrrrrrrrrreat! OK I couldn't resist. I really dig it and think it would be a blast to rip around in, very nice execution all around.

"this is the ONLY Porsche Lava Orange, Turbocharged GM powered , tiger-striped Fiat X1/9 on the planet, the Universe, Solar System or the Galaxy" .............I would have to agree.

some of the build components possibly being mass-produced
Let's see: body shell, motor, etc, etc; scads of parts, many cleverly modified. Most of the build parts mass produced.
Too bad an excellent build thread just HAS to evaporate for some personal reason.
Why bother to post if you're going to remove it later?

Looks great. Still, again and hopefully into the future.

I am sorry you feel the need to delete information. There are not many people here who have the ability or inclination to do what you can do and what you have done. Particularly to this car which started from such an unfortunate state when you bought it.

It is great that you are looking to productionize some of the great work you did and are no doubt doing.

The reality is I don’t see anyone here being willing nor able to out develop you given how much knowledge you gained/created in the process of building this out. I don’t think you are in any danger of losing out to someone here taking your ideas or solutions for this swap.

You have clearly proven that this can be done and done well with some great, well chosen parts and pieces. I wish you much success in marketing the solutions you intend to.

I am just sorry you have seen fit to remove the great images, descriptions and evidence of your craft.

It will and has been missed in the past. It does leave a hole which will be regrettable as there isn’t another like it.

Good luck.

Very cool.

I presume the tubing is all stainless given the polish and the tendency of mild steel to rust excessively when wrapped. I apologize, my recollection is you now have it turbocharged so having the single muffler is enough to reduce the volume to something livable.

Looks cool, interesting divergence from the twin outlet it replaced.

Thanks for sharing this with us.

Yeah I put the wedge in the tip to diffuse the exhaust note and to hide the 2.50" dump! Took the idea from Flowmaster... I did end up shooting some high heat flat black in the tip to conceal the wedge. Can't even notice it now. Pipe was all stainless... Wrapped to reduce the heat.

flowmaster_muffler_cutaway-300x300.jpg

Really does sound sweet... No drone like a ricer but mellow and crisp.

Back