Alternative Engine Swaps...

Won't hijack further...

You can count on me to create a thread when all done after a tune and some shake-downs.

:nod:

Looking all around good.

Any chance of some more images of what you have done on the transmission end of the engine bay? I know you cut out the longitudinal structure, could we see what was done and how close the transmission is to the remaining engine bay sidewall?

Many thanks

As Karl said... your fotos are excellent but we need...

some shots pulled back so we can get a reference to what the close-ups are showing us.

This looks like a very interesting project... and DESERVES its OWN STRING.

4age

Your progress looks good.

I just came across this thread (looking for something completely unrelated):

http://www.mr2oc.com/43-all-cars-not-mr2s/435423-4age-fiat-x19.html

To your original question of "So why has this not been attempted??? Am I missing something so obvious It's not obvious??? "

I'd have a look at the link I posted. It really made me laugh. Most Toyota owners just poked fun at the X1/9 as being unreliable (without citing any credible evidence). I be willing to bet that most of them couldn't tell a spanner from a toothpick and for most the best modification they made to their car would be the addition of an extra cup holder....

Dom.

Looking very nice, this is one of the engines I was looking at for a swap before life changed and all car projects went on hold. Maybe in another year or so I'll be back to playing with cars so more info would be very nice.

What car was the engine from?

that's a stubby transmission!

Dang! That Getrag F23 sure is a short/stubby transmission! Read about it as I followed your thread, but didn't really grok it until your last post.

I'm not absolutely sure these photos are of the same unit you're using, but all of 'em I've seens show a very narrow setup. Nice...
f23.jpg

P1010109_1.JPG

Certainly an interesting swap you're doing.

I'm very interested in this swap too. Keep the details and pics coming. The more the better. I am handy with a wrench but not knowledgeable enough to even know where to start.

Tire sizing..

Hey Stingray. Your engine swap is very interesting. Thanks for sharing.

But.....FYI your tire sizing dimensions are quite a bit off. A 205/50-15 has an OD of about 23.1", NOT your stated 21.7"...

That is quite a bit different. and you will have considerable difficulty getting that tire to clear everything in the front. Not only the fender lips, but the inner fenders and the struts.

Suitable 13" tires ARE still available. Choose wisely......

Doug

Sadness

Methodically deleting every post....
I was really hoping to be able to do this swap this winter and I needed the info on the this page to make it happen :( I am reasonably capable with a wrench but not knowledgeable enough to figure it out by myself. Stingray I hope you were planning on putting this information into another thread but something tells me that this isn't the case.

Please tell me it isn't so!

What happened here?

Bummer, why the deletion of the posts, this is one of my favorite threads of late.

Please, please repost we are all really interested.

:thumbsup:

Yeah, I popped in to read it again

Without any explanation, it looks like the OP had an epic flounce. The weird thing is nobody was flaming him or his project. Hopefully everything's ok.

I have seen a lot of forums going to a no edit policy to prevent the removal of information.

Yea I have never understood why people do that. But I do know it is common.

Rod

A few questions.....

Hi everyone,

I wanted to wait a bit to see where this went, with the OP obviously wanting to remove all previous history about this engine swap, but seeing how it is going a bit stale I figured I would speak up. I would like to get more umph than the stock 63 HP in my X and this looked to me like the swap with the most promise with cost effectiveness in mind. I am interested to know how people would rank this exchange with other ones that have been attempted. If it has promise I am willing to pursue it with the information that the OP had previously provided. Google is good at caching text and the information in this thread is still available on their websites. I can be a bit OCD on things so I downloaded all the images in this thread about a month ago so they still exist. I don't mean any disrespect to the OP but as Rod hinted at there are other groups that limit the editing of posts after a specific period of time for these very reasons. Perhaps a moderator can chime in and tell me what they think about this. If I continue to pursue this avenue then I am going to need a bit of help figuring all this stuff out.... my knowledge of the X is small and my understanding of engines even smaller.

clark

What was the projected swap? Just curious - very frustrating when ppl delete documentation and/or hashing out details from threads.

I honestly don't understand why it was necessary. The sharing of thoughts / ideas / processes is what makes this site so great

What was the projected swap? Just curious - very frustrating when ppl delete documentation and/or hashing out details from threads.

I honestly don't understand why it was necessary. The sharing of thoughts / ideas / processes is what makes this site so great

I have seen it on other forums too. I won't speculate why this one was done, but I agree; it is a head scratcher and frustrating. I post as much as I can on my projects like yourself Hussein (and I appreciate all you post!).

-Tim

Back