Alternative Engine Swaps...

Looking great! Nice work. Looking forward to the next thrilling installment!

I like your snorkel. Would moving it over to the left be to your advantage? If it was inline with the headrest you would have a better view out and there is a bit more room over to that side for all that may be drawing fresh air: intake, intercooler, oil cooler etc

Looking good. We all look forward to the next installment, particularly of the finalized engine install.

Good luck with the other irons in the fire, hopefully they go a bit easier than this project has at times.

All the best.

Nice work all around! Fun to watch the construction / development of all the pieces of the puzzle. Looking forward to the turbo & IC / snorkel layout. Also what engine management will you use with it?

I'd say there was a fair bit more than one or two viewers in the audience. Take care of of your other unimportant bidness and get back to this ASAP.

NIce vents in the hood. Did you fabricate them or were they a found item?

Thanks for posting up your latest progress, it is always welcome to see.

This car is such a great statement with its over the top flares and wing. I really appreciate how you have made it totally yours from reconstructing the structure to the mechanical systems and now the complete exterior. Great work all along the way.

Yeah, neat progress - I think... Watching this thread is like being in that movie, Momento. Here we are. Oh.. this is neat now, what the **** happened last time? No clue! Um, is there a tattoo or some clue to the latest development? Who knows?!

A bit more epoxy thrown down...

As for the Hurricane, we were very fortunate to be spared from any and all effects of Harvey here in Spring, TX... Not even a power blip even though we received over 37" of rain... That being said, a lot of my neighbors and relatives were completely devastated by flooding and high water and are still in distress. It's going to be a long while before Houston and the surrounding counties recover... If you're a praying person... Send them our way.

View attachment 4701 View attachment 4702 View attachment 4703

Could you highlight your pix to show where you did "surgery" on the chassis to fit your Ecotec engine? The pix are abit fuzzy but other than the rectangular enlargement of the distributor access panel area, I can't tell if you had to do any other fabrication on the "frame" rails in the front arc of the engine compartment. If not, then that's a big plus over the typical K20 installation.

Noting what looks like a modified arc in what was the pulley area, and I see the added structure on the left and right sides, presumably for the engine mounts, and I see the clever piano hinged "hatch" installed for the access from the runk to the engine compartment.

Very nice indeed. The engine look is really pretty nice for a modern engine, nice valve cover with a lot of hard edged secondary technical features with patterns to add to the structure of the large faces.

A nice technical looking object but still aesthetically pleasing.

And it all looks so sanitary. Thanks for posting the images and giving us some more explanation.

Ian thanks for the pictures. Nice work. Take your time and please don't spare the details. Love watching the progress.

Thanks.

TonyK.

Grimsby Ontario Canada.

Mind you, the turbo is not factory... I made the manifold for the turbo application... Turbo is a TD04 15-G Mitsu Turbo... This requires a high flow pump and at the minimum 440cc injectors... They use the hell out of these turbos on Saab and Volvo's... 2.5L mostly...

Anyway... More to follow...

Really nice work on the chassis.

Was the motor originally turbocharged (oil squirters for the pistons, etc) or was it NA? Volvo (99- x60/70 series) used a hotside with a nice angle flange (2 A/R sizes depending on which TD04HL was installed) that would make your DP much easier to construct....

XC19TDP0007.jpg

I agree with the rest very nice clean work. Just please don't erase these off the site. Also put back some of the old ones for reference if you would.

Ian, what material did you use for the front hood vents? I will be needing to do this for Bob Martin's Dallara that has already been painted. The flange over the cut would be the solution. A detail or two please?

Thanks.

TonyK.
Grimsby Ontario Canada.

Very Nice!!!! Those vents are very nicely put together. Did you vent the inner sheet metal, or does that just vent the trunk?

Hey Tony,

It was trial and lots of error!!!!!

I started with metal... Welds were too bulky and the vents were way heavy... I then tried aluminum, it looked bad... Welds were too bulky also...

So..... I actually made these vents using 1/8" ABS plastic sheeting... I cut all the slats equal width then glued them at an angle into a formed ABS hoop of the same size as the hood opening I cut in the hood... I then added/glued on the "flange"...

You'll also notice, I notched the slats and glued a 1/4" deep vertical slat dead center of the horizontal slats to stabilize any flex/flutter of the blades I may have had at hwy speeds as my vents are "active" for my rad cooling air flow thru.

Not sure exactly how I will mount them, may use two sided 3M tape or rivet... The tape would be less intrusive and reduce rust issues... meh.....

A 4x8 sheet ran me about 65 bucks... I bought mine local, but below is what I used...

http://www.eplastics.com/Plastic/abs-plastic-textured-general-purpose-sheet/ABSBLK0-187HC48X48

I still have enough for my interior dash plates along with door panels.

So.... The fun part... Putting it all together... I tried multiple types of glue... From cyanoacrylate to epoxy to gorilla glue to heat welding... Best out of all??? Small scraps of the ABS mixed with acetone to a consistency of Elmer's glue... Mostly the "sawdust" from cutting the ABS slats mixed with acetone...

The acetone/ABS mixture softens up the ABS for bonding and fills gaps nicely...... Once the acetone evaps, the ABS solidifies... strong as crap! Pretty quick setup too.

I have dropped these from an upper shelf 8ft high in my garage... They held together no problem... I left them out in the Texas heat all day, no warpage no delamination...

Pretty cool huh... Almost forgot, AFTER I was satisfied with the vent design and assembly, I scuffed them down and shot a light coat of Duplicolor bed liner in a spray can... This stuff is amazing... Have in on my bug now for almost 5 years, still looks brand new...

Hope this helps...

Very nice Ian, thanks. I think this will be the solution for Bob Martins car as it will do little damage to the paint on his car for the intercooler install.

Keep up the good work.

TonyK.

Grimsby Ontario Canada.

The thinking behind it is the driver, he’s the loose nut behind the wheel.... :D

Back