Alternative Engine Swaps...

Yup really coming together nice. But no way you're going to trick guys into racing you for money. "Hmm, flares, vents, wing, roll cage, and sounds like a tuned engine? Nah you go ahead."

I have been having that sort of time of it of late as well.

Plenty of snow here this week and two driveways to shovel.

Monday morning we had a minor fire in our kitchen that has destroyed our cooktop, covered everything in soot and as a topper, my wife fell on her back while we were fire fighting and broke a rib.

In any case, your car is looking good, can’t wait to see it in color. Lava Orange sounds good!

Yep... A nice looking CLEAN car is a great motivator.

I've been away for awhile... did you every select an engine to power this? Here is an idea that I almost forgot...

Insane Caddy  X19.jpg

It is a tight fit, but we all tend to like them that way :)

Looks great in there. Very nice indeed. That is such a tidy piece of aluminum machinery.

Umm, wow. Quite the failure. Glad I wasn’t present for the experience, likely quite a butt clenching moment at that speed.

Indeed that does look HOT

Looking forward to the assembly images. Just that small bit of work to go...:)

Before you begin assembly, could you post copious pix of the chassis mods you did to accommodate the Ecotec +F23? Also very curious about how you have addressed, or are going to address, shifting. Thx!!!!

Ps--Also curious about the reasoning behind the single stage paint vs the ubiquitous base-clear system. (When I see very well-done older cars finished in single stage, non-metallic paint, it just seems to add an air of authenticity to the car.)

Tidy now, once all the plumbing is in place it will look a bit less lovely :) Seems a bit tight for the TB hose below the window, is there a different intake you will be using here? I recall you showing one but can’t seem to find it.

Very nice install, great attachment of the bracketry needed to hold the engine to the car. We will be appreciative being able to see the mods to the engine bay to contrast to the K series mods.

What does the engine/transmission mount look like at the crossmember under the engine? Is this a standard GM mount for a Cavalier? Or?

So your other engine’s aluminum looked very pristine, is it possible to bring this back to that level of finish? Is there a process/product you use?

Thanks, it is always nice to see the quality of your work, truly something to aspire to.

I'm very curious about your wooden chassis support table. Could you provide a bit of info and pics of it? Can it be moved and how did you set car on it, any levelling, etc..

Last edited:
Those Ecotech timing chains are crazy. Did you do the balance shaft delete----I can't remember if the balance shaft sprocket is on the backside of the engine or not.

And judging by the dished forged Wiseco pistons you are turboing this one.

Last edited:
[QUOTE="stingray250, post: 308136, member: 3233"9]
Busy day today... GM sure loves torque to yield... 70* main caps, 155* head bolts... A few more steps closer though... May bolt up the trans and install assembly tomorrow... Gettin close to puttin her down on those 400lb rear springs! Ought to be interesting...[/QUOTE]
We don't need no stinking timing belts!

Does look pretty.

What's the history of the ecotech motor - was it swiped from one of the EU or OZ GM divisions or one of their acquistions? Hard to imagine it as a US product :D

Back