Alternative gearbox for X1/9 from VW, Audi (WAG group)

*Coolant pump inlet pipe might not fit well and hit the bellhouse, it depends I guess what pipe You have, might also be ok.

02J speedo gear and sensor in pictures, original cable might be adapted, won’t try that as my cable is damaged and am not willing to buy a new one.

Will try to install electric speedo, digital odometer will be out of the place, but I must have a working odometer to pass MOT.
Speedo cluster and other bits from Golf 3 1.6d with mechanical pump, so speedometer signal is not wired through ECU.
Not sure will I need that fuse box, but it was in between the wiring.
560BF25B-37FD-4E90-99E8-489BEAE88AC6.jpeg

Will the inspection allow a GPS style speedo/odo? There are very affordable aftermarket ones available and they work completely independent of the transmission.

Will the inspection allow a GPS style speedo/odo? There are very affordable aftermarket ones available and they work completely independent of the transmission.
They test speedo on same machine where brakes are tested, car is not in motion at that moment, so GPS speedo won’t work out I guess

I still want to try to keep this at low cost swap as I can and try to get Golf 3 speed work, so far no luck, maybe because sensor is old and not working and my understandings about electronics are low.

For those who didn’t see my post in “RED X1/9” thread:

Adapter works.
There was issue with starter motor, it was too close to the center of flywheel, but that might be only because I use Punto starter motor combined with X’s 1.5 flywheel.
I put M6 bolts instead of M8, so starter is now about 1mm further away from flywheel and it works.

There will be ~ a month till I finish other things on my car to pass MOT and check how it is on higher gears.
1st and reverse works perfect, less noise than previously with original gearbox and clutch pedal also is more user friendly for city driving..

If somebody can put these cad files on wiki, will send files. So they will be available for everyone if ever needed.

Few grinds into adapter might be needed. Haven't sorted out in the model that spot ore two spots and now don't remember where it was. But nothing serious.

Has anyone tried to fit alternative gearbox?

From 1.6 16v? Some vw?

Mine just exploded :D
A bit late to the game, but I *think* I still have a 5 spd transmission out of a Mk1 Golf GTI (8v). Ratios are close, but the final drive is low. In the old VW 65mph was 4k rpm.

A bit late to the game, but I *think* I still have a 5 spd transmission out of a Mk1 Golf GTI (8v). Ratios are close, but the final drive is low. In the old VW 65mph was 4k rpm.
I have a couple of Mk1 VW transaxles (and engines) and considered a complete swap. Although the Mk1 VW gearbox is much more robust than the X's, it can be a little be vulnerable to high power hard driving. The later VW boxes are much better.

I have a couple of Mk1 VW transaxles (and engines) and considered a complete swap. Although the Mk1 VW gearbox is much more robust than the X's, it can be a little be vulnerable to high power hard driving. The later VW boxes are much better.

Add to that the fact that you have to sort out hydraulic actuation of the clutch unless you want a 12' long clutch cable and make the 020's rod linkage setup work with a cable shifter unless you want the Rube Goldberg of rod shift linkages, and that the 020 is now much superannuated compared to even the 02A (which is cable shifted with hydraulic clutch,) and it's a non-starter.

VW kept improving after the 020, and the modern boxes such as the 02M and 02Q are about as good as they get. But I dearly wish they had learned to do better and stopped using rivets to retain the differential ring gear. But they didn't. All transverse transaxles to this day have riveted ring gears. Is it good enough for the life of most of the cars? Yes. Is it good enough? No. The longitudinal transaxles always had bolted ring gears.

JUST WOW!! Love this forum! This is brilliant and will save me from the deep rabbit hole I was going down to make the VW trans and shifter work in my 07K swap. Brilliant work. I had begun to model the mechanism to flop the push and pull without looping.

1677346349088.png

JUST WOW!! Love this forum! This is brilliant and will save me from the deep rabbit hole I was going down to make the VW trans and shifter work in my 07K swap. Brilliant work. I had begun to model the mechanism to flop the push and pull without looping.

View attachment 70962
Bob, regarding your installation of a VW box I'm curious what your plans were and are now?

I
Bob, regarding your installation of a VW box I'm curious what your plans were and are now?

I have always planned on using the 5 speed that came with the 07K 2.5. It is a later variation of the one Janis used here. It is a stout version of a 02x trans as it was used in some diesel vans. The 2.5 actually develops decent torque throughout it range. I have a billet shifter from a boxster/996 that I would like to use but using the Mazda shifter and cables is a perfect solution. The vw cables and shifter would need a lot of work and levers to get it pulling a pushing.

I had even started modeling how the shifter would work with levers like some of the K swaps on here. But now I just need to find the metal selector arms from an older 02j etc and do what Janis has done.

1677374932593.png

This is setup that works correctly.
(On first try I did wrong a forward/backward movement of shifter.)
Also used Mazda shifter might cost more then it should an have play, maybe consider to copy it from better materials.

Now that I look again I think I will be able to use the Billet Boxter/996 911 short shifter. The push pull is correct would just have to figure out the lever to work the left to right. Looks like the mazda 6 shifter would need that lever replace with metal so might as well just make a new box and lever for the porsche short shifter. I sill will use the mazda cables though. Seem to be a lot available for cheap.

I was moving one of our track cars and forgot how nice the shifter is . Like a cocking a gun. It is a ACR SRT4 with a OEM short shifter. Dug through some spare parts and found some Neon shifters that are basically the same. The shifters are very compact. All metal and have a large aftermarket for short shifters and upgrades. Even Hurst makes one. Making a mount would be dead easy. Looks like running the cables out the back would make it perfect for the VW trans without much alteration at the trans end other than cable mount and position.

neon.jpg

neon2.jpg

Back