Alternative gearbox for X1/9 from VW, Audi (WAG group)

One other thing, from paddles of pressure plate to clutch disc there is 14mm of space how paddles can be pressed in till they hit clutch disc, could 9mm of travel of throw out bearing be enough?

Yesterday before sleep tried to figure out a simple mechanism to make seqeuntial shifter mechamism for non seqeuntial gearbox, figured out at the time I was already asleep. It worked excellent and shifting was so smooth with it 😂

I'm not sure how much movement is needed to activate the clutch fingers fully. Can you make up some sort of mechanical lever to temporarily replace the slave cylinder and measure that movement?

I wish my plans worked out in my sleep. :p

Regarding converting the shift pattern to a sequential movement. It has been attempted before on similar transmissions, but the results haven't been great. But take a look at how older motorcycle transmission shifters work internally for an idea how it can be designed.

It was just some not very serious idea to keep brain working.
If seqeuntial gearbox is prefered - 02M or 02Q I think can be fitted.

From this thread I assume that is normal in some setups that throw out bearing runs constantly on pressure plate.

A lot of modern ones function this way as it's how the hydraulic clutch circuit self adjusts (the cylinder needs to be constrained to the position of the pressure plate at all times, in order to adjust as the clutch disc wears and the resting position of the fingers changes).

Of course, you find people refuse to accept this and form some elaborate theory about how the manufacturer wants it to fail early. Sometimes they make an effort to make it how they think it should be, and then wonder why their clutch feels like crap 30,000mi later. :) It's rather entertaining, really. 🍿

There's also self adjusting pressure plates (with another set of advantages), but those are a whole different ordeal.

Last edited:
Bottom ball end bolt has to be lengthened by 12mm and 12mm spacer is needed.
D5972ED5-70D9-4A07-B147-2B443C535C8F.jpeg

I shaved ~1mm from the fork - side that is faced to engine
DE52AE2E-612B-45AC-A2D6-CEA0935F9E49.jpeg

Hole for timing made
BB672ABD-873B-40F6-819A-D5B99CB39E86.jpeg

There is ~23mm of amount that slave cylinder shaft can move, it looks that is enough, but if it is not then shaft must be cut in half and threaded to be adjustable, but not yet and hope that never will bee needed :D
Photo shows more, but it is 23mm now after adjustments I made after this photo was taken.
C9EAEA98-7B49-4F6F-AA0E-101994C95DB5.jpeg

And here is “not the best video “ that shows that everything works. This video was taken before I added teo extra shims on bottom ball bolt to get “spacer” that is total 12mm in length, so after this video distance between pressure plate and fork on top and bottom is more equal.

Video won’t show You anything more than I have already written, so choose vicely how to waste 3 minutes of Your time :D

Cable shifter posts will follow next.

So now about shifter, coincidence plays out well.

This particular shifter is from Mazda 6 2.0 5speed diesel
FB4108D6-C62B-4C57-9D7C-F9362EC62FA6.jpeg
8494DA49-4672-4891-9BAC-108D68DBAEA6.jpeg

But that doesn’t matter - here is part number :
GJ6FB

Now it is in X1/9
06F7B2D5-5E5C-4124-9FBC-26AEF0E135CA.jpeg

Forward Backward motion with Mazda shifter and 02J box is correct
62AA3F9F-4CCF-47F8-9D37-796648451188.jpeg

But as You see on Mazda shifter box there is space for third cable.
Let’s switch mind that Mazda box is now in X1/9.
There are two options:
1. Wait till I find part number of Right side lever.
2. Modify (it is not hard) existing left lever to be used on the right side.

Mazda box is not small, but it can be made narrower- to be 105mm wide or less for unknown reasons yet.
94E766C7-4B90-4670-8690-7FE0C81FBF7C.jpeg

I think this is it.

Attachments

• 30512E8A-DB56-458B-8A4C-D3BA6D60CA04.jpeg
    30512E8A-DB56-458B-8A4C-D3BA6D60CA04.jpeg
    194.6 KB · Views: 70
If you can hide the Mazda 626 shifter under the stock console and make it work with the VAG transmission it would be great. If you manage there's a good chance this shifter would work with the C510 box as well.
Keep up the good work Janis.

If you can hide the Mazda 626 shifter under the stock console and make it work with the VAG transmission it would be great. If you manage there's a good chance this shifter would work with the C510 box as well.
Keep up the good work Janis.
*Not Mazda 626 but just Mazda 6 ~2002 year of production
**not sure about Xedos 6 - what shifter box it has

Nice find. ;)

Are those cables VW, and they connect directly to Mazda shifter?
Will the shifter face forward so the cables need to loop around to the rear? If so, are they long enough?

GJ6AC Mazda shifter box is what You need in combination with 02J box.

Bjorn, I don’t know actually in which directions cables moves on C510 box - You have to check to be sure.

Jeff, GJ6AC would work with cables that doesn’t loop around but as it was meant to be in midengined car, otherwise if You would want to loop the cables, could just use 02J shifter box.
Cables in picture are from Mazda 6, will they work, don’t know yet.
2C798741-D797-4224-B236-2930C166B59F.png

Last edited:
So now about shifter, coincidence plays out well.

This particular shifter is from Mazda 6 2.0 5speed diesel
View attachment 60587View attachment 60588

But that doesn’t matter - here is part number :
GJ6FB

Now it is in X1/9
View attachment 60586
Forward Backward motion with Mazda shifter and 02J box is correct
View attachment 60589

But as You see on Mazda shifter box there is space for third cable.
Let’s switch mind that Mazda box is now in X1/9.
There are two options:
1. Wait till I find part number of Right side lever.
2. Modify (it is not hard) existing left lever to be used on the right side.

Mazda box is not small, but it can be made narrower- to be 105mm wide or less for unknown reasons yet.
View attachment 60591

I think this is it.
I ended up using a porche spyder shifter. Was about 100 bucks on ebay. Cables going the right direction and custom cables (about 75 each)

Odie

Last edited:
I ended up using a porche spyder shifter. Was about 100 bucks on ebay. Cables going the right direction and custom cables (about 75 each)

Odie
That is for some specific Honda gearbox if not mistaken, it doesn’t mean it will work with 02J (altough it could, have no idea).

Porsche parts are not cheap. For that Mazda shifter I wouldn’t pay more than 10€, nobody needs them :D, will check later, are they available new.

But if somebody wants to get Mazda shifter through me, they are rare and expensive 😂

That is for some specific Honda gearbox if not mistaken, it doesn’t mean it will work with 02J (altough it could, have no idea).

Porsche parts are not cheap. For that Mazda shifter I wouldn’t pay more than 10€, nobody needs them :D, will check later, are they available new.

But if somebody wants to get Mazda shifter through me, they are rare and expensive 😂
I just needed a cable shifter. It is going to a rod based b series that I adapted. I was shocked on the cost as honda cable shifters were over 200 used and I would have had to adapt them for sending the cables to the back. Mr2 shifters were also in that 200 range. This one already sent it to the rear and was the cheapest. At that time there were 3-4 on evil bay for about the same cost. Not anything against your choice as what ever works works.

Odie

GJ6AC Mazda shifter box is what You need in combination with 02J box.

Bjorn, I don’t know actually in which directions cables moves on C510 box - You have to check to be sure.

Jeff, GJ6AC would work with cables that doesn’t loop around but as it was meant to be in midengined car, otherwise if You would want to loop the cables, could just use 02J shifter box.
Cables in picture are from Mazda 6, will they work, don’t know yet.
View attachment 60598
Sorry, I was confused about the Mazda parts (I'm not familiar with Mazdas overall). But now I understand.

I agree, a shifter designed for a mid or rear engine car would be a definite benefit. Opposed to using the FWD VW unit and looping the cables around.

Prices for parts - new or used - will vary widely and can make a definite impact on my choice when doing something like this.

I think all petrol Mazdas 6 (particular is 2002 year) have correct ones.
Will test it after holidays.
8337498D-3E41-4DF5-B523-9CB36DCDD19F.jpeg

Back