Alternative location for Bosch electronic control module

Jeff, thanks for pics, See what you mean about side vents not being too well connected to provide ventilation to engine bay without some way of connecting vent outlet to duct to engine bay. When redoing cables/levers and finding suitable site for Bosch ignition module that I explored side duct spaces and their possibilities. Enlightning how much I'm learning about these cars after many years of having owned and driven them without looking into their nooks and crannies.
Today after chatting with Matt at Midwest Bayless am on another issue; fuel lines. May put that on another separate forum.

I think if you have your module up high in the cavity it will be fine. Gravity is your friend, water may get in there but if you are above the vent it will be less water than it sees in the side cavity.

Sad to say mine has sat in plenty of water at different times due to the reality of living under oak trees during the spring and living in a rainy area. The module is well made, probably better made than they intended given that many of them are forty years old and have suffered plenty of weather and not failed.

Karl, thanks for the reassurance. Prior to Covid-Home induced restoration bug on X 1/9 had never paid close attention to the two side holes. Canberra like Michigan up northern US gets plenty of rain and Canberra is well vegetated. X 1/9 sometimes lives under a tree. Despite car cover, leaves and water do wind up being compost in the bottom of those covered holes..... Not any more I guess. Yes the Bosch module in a typical German fashion looks solid when compared to other Italian ( or Russian Lada) made components. I got mine from Jeff, but it looks solid and capable of more years of service. Will ensure its well located out of water, but some air-flow. The only thing I can recall that has survived 40 years of rugged service is my marriage to a great wife.

Karl, thanks for the reassurance. Prior to Covid-Home induced restoration bug on X 1/9 had never paid close attention to the two side holes. Canberra like Michigan up northern US gets plenty of rain and Canberra is well vegetated. X 1/9 sometimes lives under a tree. Despite car cover, leaves and water do wind up being compost in the bottom of those covered holes..... Not any more I guess. Yes the Bosch module in a typical German fashion looks solid when compared to other Italian ( or Russian Lada) made components. I got mine from Jeff, but it looks solid and capable of more years of service. Will ensure its well located out of water, but some air-flow. The only thing I can recall that has survived 40 years of rugged service is my marriage to a great wife.

I am not far behind you, another year and it will be 40. Where did the time go?

After Viet Nam,(Philippines) time went in good times travelling in great cars (topless) with a great woman, listening to good music, eating yummy food and the occasionally a good drink. Lets see if we can go another 40.......Route 66 in an X 1/9..... Please...... Post Covid anything will be easy as a challenge.

My '87 had a piece of the board they use for door cards, etc., with the insulation glued to it in that location - I can't find the pic of it, this is the shape - I used the original (deteriorated) as a template for an aluminum panel on mine

IMG-20191026-124945.jpg

IMG-20191026-133414.jpg
Wow ! neat trick....... will try similar with mine from the present primitive set-up.

Now that Bosch Electronic Ignition Module has a new home. Wires are all connected to respective terminals comes the task of getting the Bosch electronic distributor to fire the correct spark plugs. Can any one with experience with these distributors enlighten me how to determine distributor position before securing with its bolt and clamp.

Hey All!
This may be slightly side topic, but does anyone have a wiring diagram for the ignition module? I'm trying to troubleshoot my lack of spark, and need to verify that things are wired correctly.. The plug to the distributor is obvious, and can only be installed one way, but the others?
IMG_20201114_214016956~2.jpg

It needs to be firmly screwed down, preferably with thermal compound, to dissipate heat correctly; use both holes.
This one may be toast.
Check Volvo 740 Turbos at the junk yard, they use the same modules (mine was an '89).

Thanks! That's an old pic... It's been relocated and mounted correctly. It worked fine before the rebuild, Although I have a new one as well. I'm just trying to verify the wiring hook up, to the coil, ground etc.....

Back