Alternative location for Bosch electronic control module

Thanks for the reassurance Jeff that it unplugs from distributors side. That gives me a way to route wire in relocation of ignition module.

You could also do the GM mod using the Bosch box.

I think you could lengthen the wires to the Bosch box with the possible exception of the one that goes to the distributor. That one has a low level signal on it so making it too long could create problems. I'm guessing it is already long enough to get from the carb fan to the distributor.

If you go with the GM mod in the orginal Bosch box I recommend to add an heat sink on the cover, The GM module generate alot of heat.
I have that setup for more than 3 years and no issue.

Here is the link when I did the mod with GM module:
https://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/bosch-icm-modification-with-gm-hei.31702/

IMG_2773.JPG

Yves

Attachments

• IMG_2773.JPG
    IMG_2773.JPG
    296.3 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
If you go with the GM mod in the orginal Bosch box I recommend to add an heat sink on the cover, The GM module generate alot of heat.
I have that setup for more than 3 years and no issue.

Here is the link when I did the mod with GM module:
https://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/bosch-icm-modification-with-gm-hei.31702/

View attachment 39052

Yves
I agree about having a heatsink with the module upgrade. I'd even take it a step further and say do not use the stock Bosch box to house it. Mount the module directly onto a heatsink (either the ones made specifically for this or something like the 124 coil mount). And leave off the 'heat-containing' box. Yes it is aluminum, and therefore acts as something of a heatsink. But with no air circulation it gets very hot inside that box. Plus by not using the box you can greatly simplify the wire harness and the installation procedure. Without the box it's also a lot smaller and easier to mount the module discreetly.

The ignition module is on the left side of the trunk, has a yellow label.

View attachment 39057
Nice ;)
GM module, with heatsink, and located away from high heat, in a protected spot, etc.
This might not be as practical of location for the original poster with a stock engine compartment. But it is a good example overall for the set up.

Your car looks a lot like one of mine did (before I started customizing it), with the same color paint and even the pinstripes. Guessing that's a'79 like mine also?

Dr Jeff at this stage ill stay with Bosch unit that you supplied me. Today I played around with locations and brackets. Below carb fan motor housing in vent air stream is doable at original length to distributor of wire to module. Other wires to resistor/ coil, tacho and power may have to be lengthened.

Also looked at locating ignition module beside spare wheel well. In right hand drive car like mine the side air vent opens to a hole covered only by upholstery trim and insulation. Thought that the location may have invited too much water in to unit on wet day's drives. Despite brilliant location with wires poked through firewall grommet.

Last edited:
ill stay with Bosch unit
That will work great and be very reliable. The earlier discussion about 'heat sinks' was mainly directed at the option of using a GM type module instead of the stock Bosch box. Hope it did not mislead your plans any, we easily get sidetracked like that. :rolleyes:

Jeff I've gathered the popularity of the GM conversion. Im happy to stay with Bosch unit and make it work. No not sidetracked at the moment. Who knows in future. For now just content to have ignition, fuel and compression and hear it run again after a three year lay-up.

Nice ;)
GM module, with heatsink, and located away from high heat, in a protected spot, etc.
This might not be as practical of location for the original poster with a stock engine compartment. But it is a good example overall for the set up.

Your car looks a lot like one of mine did (before I started customizing it), with the same color paint and even the pinstripes. Guessing that's a'79 like mine also?
Yes it is a 1979, slightly modified. Has AC and now twin carbs, mild cam and header. The pin strips are now gone, and some of it is now pearl blue, soon all of it will be pearl blue, paint from summit.

The nice thing about the GM type, you can get a spare or replacement part anywhere. I have spares since it is the same part on the Maserati Bi-turbo, same part for 2 cars. There is even a high performance version, although I don't know if there is much difference, I think Accel makes it.

So it was socket and 🔌 plug on distributor side.Wire unplugged. Easier to play 'route the wire' in relocating Bosch unit near air-flow and still in unit-distributor original cable length reach. May even relocate coil and resistor closer to Bosch. Ignition module to retain origunal wire lengths. Then only power and tachometer wires to be lengthened.

Also looked at locating ignition module beside spare wheel well. In right hand drive car like mine the side air vent opens to a hole covered only by upholstery trim and insulation. Thought that the location may have invited too much water in to unit on wet day's drives. Despite brilliant location with wires poked through firewall grommet.

The cable to the distributor does unplug at the distributor housing (square black plastic). The screw (on the distributor) does not need to be removed and will not allow any greater access, the other side of that connector is attached to things inside the distributor.

Recently there was a different discussion about locating other electrical components (not the ignition module). It was noted if something that generates a lot of heat is mounted in the spare-tire well then there isn't sufficient air circulation in there to keep it properly cooled. So that might not be the best location afterall? Unless a vent of some sort existed to that area. Although the factory ECU for injected X's is located there so I would imagine the item would have to give off a lot of heat for this to be an issue. I'm not sure, but something to consider.
In my 1982 X 1/9 the very left-top of the wheel well opens to a large cavity that is well ventilated by side duct below.
The module could fit there with ventilation. A short grometted path for wires. The only separation between spare wheel well below is trim/insulation. May take a pic next time I'm in the car. Not sure if the same cavernoushole exists in US models above passengers right side.

In my 1982 X 1/9 the very left-top of the wheel well opens to a large cavity that is well ventilated by side duct below.
The module could fit there with ventilation. A short grometted path for wires. The only separation between spare wheel well below is trim/insulation. May take a pic next time I'm in the car. Not sure if the same cavernoushole exists in US models above passengers right side.

Yes, on one side the spare tire well is only covered by a cardboard piece, no metal. I think that is what you are referring to.

New location for Bosch electronic module found. Bracketed, 18 mm. hole through firewall to space where original unit lives. Very short, direct route for all original wire lengths to their respective locations on terminals/connectors. Bosch control module in new cool location.jpgSpare wheel space:vent location of Bosch unit.jpgTidy hole for wires from Bosch unit to coil.jpgTidied up hole with rust coatings and rust-oleum final coat. Could not find a 'drain hole' Will endeavour to keep it clean and dry

New location for Bosch electronic module found. Bracketed, 18 mm. hole through firewall to space where original unit lives. Very short, direct route for all original wire lengths to their respective locations on terminals/connectors. View attachment 40596View attachment 40597View attachment 40598Tidied up hole with rust coatings and rust-oleum final coat. Could not find a 'drain hole' Will endeavour to keep it clean and dry

Nice. The drain hole should be bottom left in your last picture. There is a nipple in the engine bay where the drain comes out. Perhaps someone filled it which would be odd.

Back