Alternator

m4ff3w

matthew
My Alternator tested bad. It is Bosch part number 0120489942, 65a, car is 81 non A/C

Autozone only shows a 55A for non A/C, same as Vick Autosports.

Is 55a the correct Alt for my car? I don't run a massive stereo or ralley lights or anything.

Rather than buy a rebuild from a parts store, see if your area has an automotive electrical specialty shop. If they have access to a source for genuine Bosch replacement parts (brushes, diodes, bearings, etc), chances are their rebuild work will be of better quality.

To late, I ordered the one from Autozone last night. I called a rebuild place here, and they said cost would range from just over $100 to $160-ish depending on what needs replacing.

Are you interested in keeping the car all original???

If not... I just wrote up an upgrade in the 1.0 version in the BEST OF section where I replaced my stocker with a GM alternator... for about 90 bucks total. Subsequent alternators will no longer be an issue as they have a lifetime guarantee and put out 63 amps on the low side. Let me know if you need further info.

question

Is it theoretically possible providing you can make an alternator fit and wire it up that it will work. I have a spare alternator off a nissan motor and just measured it up and i think i can make it work. But will it do the job as i intend it to.

The theoretical short answer is YES!

... and almost any other alternator provides MORE current capacity than a stock 45- 65 amp Marelli or Bosch. The advantage to using the GM product is that the 350 application is so widely available that replacements would be easily obtained almost anywhere... and easily replaced once the mods were mae initially.

Using a Nissan would work and save you a few bucks initially I'm sure... but may kick ya in the butt later.

(Or maybe the Nissans are more readily available than I know of nowadays... HA!)

cool

Yeah they are pretty widely available probably more so than a gm product in aus unless holden and ford used the gm alternator in aus but i am not sure.

Back