Alternators: Non-AC vs. AC - what's the difference?

tvmaster

True Classic
Just chatted with someone at MWB who couldn't tell me what the significance was between the Non-AC and AC designated X 1/9 alternators.
I imagine the available space in the engine bay is a factor, but what's the main difference between units - do they both bolt in the same, are wired the same, talk to the X1/9's electronics the same?
Mainly, what is the reason you can or cannot use a AC alternator in a NON-AC equipped X 1/9?
And add to that - using later year alternators (Bosch & Marelli or anything else which was installed by FIAT or Bertone) on an early year car like our '74 - that's not an issue, correct?

Different mount for AC cars, require different casting for the housing. While they were higher output (5 or 10 more amps) than non AC cars, I believe all the wiring is the same between both.

Different mount for AC cars, require different casting for the housing. While they were higher output (5 or 10 more amps) than non AC cars, I believe all the wiring is the same between both.
Ah, okay, brilliant. So mounting in a non-AC car would need modifications, which I'm trying to avoid. Non-AC it is then :)

Back