Aluminum 128 Radiators on eBay

Joe S.

Daily Driver
Anyone have any experience with the Chinese radiators available on eBay?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/high-flow-a...ash=item1a1f2c42cd:g:MZ4AAOxy-j9SNrwp&vxp=mtr

s-l1600.jpg

Hey Joe, I considered that option for my Strada, the radiators are very similar, however I was able to get a new one (plastic and aluminum) from Italy on Ebay italia. $150 total price shipped. And it is a genuine Fiat part. I think these aluminum ones made in China are probably ok, a Lancia owner that bought a similar one on ebay said the mounting tabs were a bit off and required a small amount of fabrication, but considering the cost and limitations of rebuilding an old one in poor shape these are reasonable alternatives.

I bought one of these for my Yugo. Had to have it modified to work. The welder said it was some of the worst aluminum he had ever worked with and he still couldn't get it right. right now its just a big dust collector. Just have one made.. its less $ and less of a headache.

I know this thread is a bit older but I think my experience may be of use...

I have one of these radiators in my '75 wagon. The dimensions used by the manufacturer appear to be from an 1100 powered 128, not a 1300 version. They definitely did not have the dimensions correct for the 1300 powered wagon. In my case, the thicker radiator did not fit correctly, so I wound up having to trim both upper corners and TIG weld in patches. The fit is still tight but the aluminum rad dedinitely does a good job keeping the engine cool. In retrospect, I should have requestes the dimensions before I purchased. I did contact the seller and let them know their dimensions were off. They mentioned they will do custom work, so I may dig up the dims for the stock rad and have them work up a better fitting replacement later on. They also provided info on what aluminum to use to patch which took out aome of the guess work on my part.

I have done quite a bit of business with Chinese manufacturers in recent years. Generally speaking they've had a rather bad reputation in the US. While there may have been some truth to it in the past, I've found it is no different than products made in the US (or anywhere); some really great, some average, and some extremely bad. Like anything made anywhere, it depends on the factory's standards. Most manufacturers (worldwide) make products to specific standards, depending on the target market and price point. And most offer various levels of product quality from the same plant to suit those different markets/prices. However in general Chinese manufacturers have a MUCH lower overhead than most countries and can produce some great products at exceptional prices. In fast most of the products labeled as "made in (fill in the blank)" are actually made in China. So there can be some real bargains to be had, but it depends (the same as anywhere else).

Back