Amplified radio antenna

NigelProdrive

True Classic
Hate all the 70s installed antenna, especially the A pillar mounted contraption. Current solution is an amplified unit hidden under the hood grilles. With the amplification reception is better than stock.
1488CA9D-BF1B-44FC-913B-7B88ED3EED99.jpeg

I’ve sort of gone a different way as I love the retro electric arial in the X1/9 and gone a little OCD with the functioning😂
Not only have I added an amplifier in-line which also allows DAB operation through the antenna I’ve used the OE switch as an “arial” status indicator.
Aerial is raised on either radio/head unit energised or dash switch circuit is closed. Red led illumination indicates “raised” position, green otherwise for night light illumination. If boot is opened, aerial is automatically lowered regardless so rear boot spoiler doesn’t fowl aerial when lifted.
As I said earlier a little OCD but….🤷‍♂️☺️

I've got the A-pillar mounted assembly, plus a period Blaupunkt Seattle stereo and some other upgrades, but frankly what's the point with twin DCNFs? I can't hear myself talk in the car as it is (maybe as it should be?). Bigger, heavier, noise-insulated Ferraris are for that : )

I'll have to look into the current offerings for a "hidden antenna" for my current builds. Many years ago I tried one without an amplifier and it really did not work well. I also tried a amplifier on a 'regular' antenna and it just added a bunch of noise. However technology has progressed a LOT since then so I need to find something that works (the antenna holes have already been filled on all my projects). Nigel, what specific unit do you have?

Hate all the 70s installed antenna, especially the A pillar mounted contraption. Current solution is an amplified unit hidden under the hood grilles. With the amplification reception is better than stock.

I'm surprised that you get any reception with the antenna mounted under the hood. Even under the vent, when I had my antenna mounted under the hood I got mostly static. Mine is mounted inside and under the glass along the the dash. I have also connected a bluetooth transmitter to the output of my radio and listen through paired bluetooth noise canceling ear buds. Listening to music over the engine noise is a lost cause without the ear buds.

Attachments

• 20230108_123926.jpg
    20230108_123926.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 57
Back