Anodizing stuff

Alex(Tenerife)

True Classic
Searching around the internet should be banned, it give me silly ideas.

I was wondering if anyone has ever used these guys?
https://www.alumiplate.com/coating/anodize/

I was thinking of anodizing the headlight pods, same colour as body colour but a nice hard wearing coloured coating.

Then I got wondering about engine parts. plenum, cam cover, maybe even the head. Just the exterior to make it all shiny and pretty colours. They claim they can do max size ~20” X 30” X 23”. Thinking about it maybe a way to colour/protect wheels.

Taking a guess but bet its expensive, but wouldn't it look nice? Also I bet shipping would be prohibitive, but haven't yet found anyone in Europe who does the same.

Anyone ever tried this?

Why not just paint body color and PPF the pods. Or if you want just a hard wearing coating Cerekote.

Why not just paint body color and PPF the pods. Or if you want just a hard wearing coating Cerekote.
Like I said too much time searching.

It all started with DIY anodizing, found that this doesn't work so well on cast Aluminium. Then I found you can apply Aluminium plating and anodize that. Not so much a DIY project.

I expect I will just repaint, but how much fun would it be to have anodized headlight pods.

One problem with anodizing is matching the color. It is impossible to get a exact match to your surrounding painted surfaces. Same with other coating processes as well, including powder coat or ceramic coat. But aside from that, anodizing isn't necessarily the best option for exposed components (such as the pods). It will fade and diminish over time with UV exposure. That happens rather quickly here in our desert environment - I see anodized wheels that look like sh!t all the time. And yes, it is rather expensive compared to paint.

But I get your desire to find a better finish for the pods. The alloy they are made of seems to not accept regular finishes very well. I'm not sure what should be laid down on them before any paint products. I don't think regular "sealers" will do. Does anyone know?

But I get your desire to find a better finish for the pods. The alloy they are made of seems to not accept regular finishes very well. I'm not sure what should be laid down on them before any paint products. I don't think regular "sealers" will do. Does anyone know?
Maybe an epoxy primer?

There are polyester powder coatings that are translucent and emulate the look of anodizing when applied to bare aluminum. We use them at work on electrical enclosures where the specifier wants aluminum and extra corrosion protection.

I know we at least have a clear option and an architectural bronze, but there are probably others. I can find out info for you if interested, your local powder coater may have something similar.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback, to be honest I think I will just get the whole car resprayed and the pods with it.

They are actually in pretty good condition so i think they will look ok with a good coat of paint on them

One problem with anodizing is matching the color. It is impossible to get a exact match to your surrounding painted surfaces. Same with other coating processes as well, including powder coat or ceramic coat. But aside from that, anodizing isn't necessarily the best option for exposed components (such as the pods). It will fade and diminish over time with UV exposure. That happens rather quickly here in our desert environment - I see anodized wheels that look like sh!t all the time. And yes, it is rather expensive compared to paint.

Go too aircraft spruce at https://www.aircraftspruce.ca/ and check out bonderite. The paint prep product is here:
https://www.aircraftspruce.ca/catalog/pnpages/09-01619.php I have had good results with it. It is toxic and expensive.

Aircraft Spruce also has a us site.

Back