Another Day At Papa Tony's

mbusman

Big Bird
I'm eagerly anticipating tomorrow. For several months, I've been wanting to replace my knarly, rotten coolant piping with copper. Tony has told me he's pretty good at sweating copper, so I bought 1.25" copper pipe, 45 deg. elbows, flux, solder, MAPP gas for the torch, and other items. I've just been waiting for a convenient day for both of us.

Shortly before the Xmas holidays, Bob Brown sent me a PM saying Tony wanted to replace his gas tank, but needed some physical help. I responded to Bob that if this meant someone with a strong back and weak mind, I had a bad back and weak mind and asked if I still qualified because it would be an honor to give Tony some help for a change. Bob said "sold" and shipped me the tank, which arrived Wednesday. I cleaned up the tank an hit it with a couple coats of Duplicolor gloss black. Since Tony is a major stockholder in Duplicolor, I knew he would accept nothing less. He recommends Duplicolor for constipation, sore joints, sinus infections, and just about any other condition that may come up.

So, I've got the tank and all the copper pipe and other stuff loaded up in Big Bird. I also have my usual 1.75 liter bottle of Canadian Club for Tony to show my appreciation and to toast a job well done at the end of the day.

Tony, suspecting we needed additional help, asked Tommy Mastracchio who is also part of the SoCal "Family" and drives an old 124 to lend a hand. At first, Tommy was on the fence. Then Tony offered homemade peanut butter sandwiches for lunch. Being a good Italian "Goomba" from Brooklyn who considers everything to be about food, at the mention of peanut butter sandwiches Tommy's eyes lit up, his jaw dropped drooling, and immediately said "I'm in".

So, that describes the 3 Stooges who will attempt the 2 jobs described above tomorrow. Since nothing is real without pix, I will try to post pix tomorrow night or Sunday.

In spite of the 25 degree overnight low forecast for Santa Clarita tonight, I expect tomorrow to be an excellent day with 3 stooges and 3 good friends hanging out and getting some good work done on our X's. Damn, it doesn't get much better than this!!!!!!

Mike

Why didn't you say

peanut butter in the first place... I would have come too,
Anyhow, have fun and show us lots of pics.

OK, here's the pix and discussion.

First, I had this post finished, then Photobucket did something and I lost the post, so I'm trying to remember what I said.
Anyway, yesterday was a great day, long day, and lot's of sore muscles today. I arrived at Tony's about 9:10 a.m., grabbed some coffee, unloaded everything and we had Blacktooth up on the lift around 9:30.
P1060460_zpsa5df6348.jpg

Here's the leaking area along the bottom seam of the tank.
P1060461_zps736a4a27.jpg

New tank from Bob, cleaned up and painted. Bob, I need to warn you that Tony will probably blast you for sending him a FI tank when you know Blacktooth is a carb'd X. The bottom of the tank has 2 different diameter nipples and Tony didn't have a fuel hose the right size to loop the two together. We had to go to a parts store to get a larger hose and brass fittings which cost Tony about $20 bucks, so he says that's another $20 you owe him.
P1060463_zps810d0677.jpg

Here's that tank with the fuel tubing and fittings.
P1060467_zps83ad450b.jpg

Tank in place.
P1060468_zpsd3168c04.jpg

Other than the minor hitch of the FI tank, the rest went smoothly.

Then it was on to Big Bird. Due to previous information we found, it appeared that a 1.25" copper pipe would go through the rotten original steel coolant piping, however, once up on the lift, we saw that we'd need 1" to go through the box in the center section to avoid dealing with the approx. 92 spot welds there. So we picked up a stick of 1" and some reducing fittings. Since the steel piping was pretty corroded and choked down and I have no cooling issues on 110 deg. F day, I think I'll be ok with part of the new piping being 1". I'll need to give it a good acid test soon when the weather gets warmer.

Rotten coolant line end after removing radiator hose.
P1060471_zps0a4ccac5.jpg

Other rotten coolant line.
P1060472_zps92602933.jpg

Tommy cutting pipe.
P1060473_zpsc5b1cc37.jpg

Tony soldering pipe and fittings.
P1060475_zpsfa5d2d87.jpg

Completed assembly radiator side and pipe through sleeve in box.

P1060476_zps297351d7.jpg

New lines in place connected to radiator before undercoating spray.
P1060477_zps0648ba92.jpg

It went a bit longer than anticiapated, but when we pressurized the system afterward, none of the soldered joints were leaking. Plus, Tony showed Tommy and me how to clean, flux, and solder the joints and we did quite a few and found it pretty cool how the solder gets sucked into the fittings at the joints. So, we also learned something new from the maestro.

Overall, it was 3 stooges, 3 good friends, who had a great day together working on the cars. The night before was one of the coldest of the year and the day was cold. We gave each other a lot of good-natured verbal abuse, but that's was friends are for. I couldn't have done it without Tony and Tommy and I'm grateful for the help.

Oh, I almost forgot to mention. Tony took us out to lunch, so Tommy and I didn't get the peanut butter sandwiches, so we felt short-changed :)

Mike

Last edited:
Nice work...

As a builder, I wonder if some sort of insulation is needed between the steel of the body and other supports and the copper piping. To prevent galvanic corrosion, the bane of many a tank water heater owner. Usually brass piping is used as an intermediary in a household plumbing application.

A large diameter electrical shrink tubing would probably work well for the parts in the original tubes and other points. Maybe with the anti-corrosion ingredients of the coolant it isn't an issue, but that's only on the inside.

Good job Mike

Nice work on the black spray too. :)
I had 2 FI tanks when I thought I had one of each.

Regarding Tony, I was trying to convince him to put something MODERN in Blacktooth.
Everything in that car is so OLD, including the driver. :shock:

But just in case he's forgotten my smiling face, here's a shot of 2 great looking guys ...

bobandtony.jpg

Greg/JJ/Bob,

Greg,

I'm not sure about inside the sleeve area (maybe there's enough "insuating rust" inside the steel pipe, but I was already planning to insulate on the pipe hangars to prevent electrolysis, even though they were already undercoated. Just not enough time yesterday.

JJ,

Yes, he did.

Bob,

Based on the name badges, I'm guessing that was taken that 115 deg. day in Sept. 2010 when you came to town for "Mr. Wizard Comes To L.A. Yeah, two good looking guys. Do you remember the marinated shrimp I brought along that day?? They didn't last too long
Mike

Yes, I remember the marinated shrimp

And I believe I have the recipe you gave me.:eat::drink:
That was a great visit.

OK, OK... Here are some of my thoughts...

I'm starting to take offense at the "stooges" title but I know you have an affinity towards them...

We did all need each other yesterday as some of us are old and weak and sick and ugly... then there is you and Tommy!

It appears that I have a double "rotator-cuff" injuries to both shoulders and I don't know how that happened! The bottom line is I am extremely weak and can't reach over my head... Tommy and Mike were lifesavers at getting my car back together and BOB BROWN so generously sent the part!

Here are some of my photos...

Mike as he arrived and began working removing the fuel lines and electrical connections...

Then removing straps and wiggling the tank down... but it just would come! Something was hanging it up on the driver's side...

Along comes Tommy, (late as usual) who guides us through removing the FILL PIPE and HOSE which was "apparently" what the tank was hung up on. HA! Maybe this is where Mike comes up with his Three Stooges comparison! We deserved it here!

Mike and the tank he "caught" as it dropped easily to the floor...

Just a great shot of Tommy...

With Black Tooth all buttoned up and a test drive driven... Tommy was ecstatic over the handling of an X over his 124. Said it was like driving a Go Kart. HA! Mine is just lowered a bit with cut and formed springs, Plaia Pivots and big and little Sumitumos. Rather mild compared to some but impressive to this 124 owner. (BTW, Tommy drove his 70 Stingray Roadster with the top down and a healthy 502 under the bonnet. Could here him coming two miles away!)

All done and off Mike goes...

What a bummer... We installed a Harbor Freight pressure tester and pump up the system to 16 pounds after waiting about 25 minutes for the car to open its stat and circulate the coolant to the radiator. (BELIEVE IT OR NOT... it was 26 degrees out here in SoCal last night at around 10pm.)

We were ELATED to find our copper retrofit was holding and solid with NO LEAKS or seepage anywhere. It was about 10 minutes later as Tommy was leaving when Mike said... "What's that leaking behind you, Tony?"

I thought this could be one of BOB BROWN's kinda sarcastic-humor-jokes but turned around to look. There is was... drip-drip-drip around the upper radiator hose... and we did mess around in that area. But it is not the hose that I can see... and the more we tried to look and wiggled the hose, the more the stream gathered steam!

I'm almost positive its the upper radiator hose bib and its separating from the radiator's side tank. We were just too damn tired to drop it and it was kinda doubtful that I could fix it. With the next day being Sunday and Mike needing to get home... we decided to call our AAA Limo service and they took care of both.

Mike will drop the tank and probably take it to a shop sometime next week.

We started at 0900 and quit at 2200 with two meal breaks and a run for parts. 13 hours less about 3 unproductive... still a ten hour work day with a few good friends! Lucky today was Sunday for all of us as I could barely move this morning when I got up at 1157. I don't wanna do this kinda thing again... at least NOT until next weekend!

HA!

p.s. Mike bought dinner, Pizza, Salad, Cheese Bread and "Coke" or two!

Yes I did... but...

It's a natural SS look... That I may paint Satin Black!

I love the BLING but this car is just not tuned to that look as it sits right now!

Thanks for the offer though... I'm also having too much fun driving it to incapacitate it just to shine up something I can barely see.

Thanks again Bob...

I'm indebted... and will be watching for an appropriate time or item to pay you back!

HA!

Saved the photo, I don't remember seeing it before. Wish I had my hair again also! What a difference a day makes... or a couple of years also!

Was the rusted end of the coolant pipe the only evidence of an issue or was there something else? Could the end have been lopped off leaving enough for reattaching hose or is that the kind of "band aide" fix that leaves me fixing things again and again?

Jeff,

No, it just wasn't the ends that were really nasty. One of the lines had developed a small leak close to the box in the center. Just a small amount of dripping, but up so tight to the underside that you couldn't get a piece of rubber and a few clamps on it. I figured that if it had corroded through in that location, there had to be others on the way. Plus, once we cut off the ends and looked down through the pipe, it was pretty nasty. That's why I wanted to go copper all the way.

Ricardo had a similar problem a few years ago with several coolant leaks. He has a post here somewhere showing how he re-did everything in copper.

Mike

We were ELATED to find our copper retrofit was holding and solid with NO LEAKS or seepage anywhere. It was about 10 minutes later as Tommy was leaving when Mike said... "What's that leaking behind you, Tony?"

I thought this could be one of BOB BROWN's kinda sarcastic-humor-jokes but turned around to look. There is was... drip-drip-drip around the upper radiator hose...

Well, at least I was there in spirit! Ha!
Glad you got the tank installed and I wish I was there to help.
I too have the dreaded rotator cuff issues, both arms.
I'm able to (now) lift both arms, albeit slowly and still work as if there was no issue,
but throwing a baseball or doing something quick would take me out in pain. I believe mine came from years of hockey abuse.
It takes several months for rotator cuff pain to resolve, but I hope you're feeling better day-by-day Tony.

Back