Another X 1/9 Gets a Steve Hoelscher Transmission

LarryC

Curator of #10105275
This arrived Friday and as the wife put it “it’s a work of art.” This will be going in over the next few weeks. This is transmission number 3 for my X. The last one lasted for only about 12 years. The first one lasted 29 years. Hopefully this one will last more like the first one. Besides it will only get MTL on the inside and holy water rinses on the outside.

5-speed_SH_05202020.jpg

I have one just like it waiting for the day when I get my '79 back together. :) I sent Steve my one and only original for him to rebuild after my attempt came up short. They are purty when he gets done with them.

:)

It makes me very happy to know people appreciate my work. Nothing spoils an otherwise fun drive in a nice car more than a transmission that shifts like crap. I like to think that my transmissions increase the enjoyment of the car.

Last edited:

I think my "art" friends would fall over laughing at this.

They are serious "art" people. Gerome owns a very high end gallery in Manhattan. If you remember the "art cars" from the 70s and 80s (these were the Andy Warhol painted Porsches), I engineered Gerome's "Art Car" Porsche, which ran in IMSA in 2009. The car's roof and doors were adorned with prints of works that were in his gallery. (That's me at the right rear corner in the gray hat):
2009 Rolex24.jpg

:) It makes me very happy to know people appreciate my work...

Steve, Your footprint is bigger than just the pieces you have physically worked on. The information you have freely provided in "5-Speed 101" has benefitted a lot of people. I know that my car is better for it. I'm not saying it's as good as if you had rebuilt it, but you helped me to get it to be as good as it is. And I appreciate that.

Brian

I think my "art" friends would fall over laughing at this.

They are serious "art" people. Gerome owns a very high end gallery in Manhattan. If you remember the "art cars" from the 70s and 80s (these were the Andy Warhol painted Porsches), I engineered Gerome's "Art Car" Porsche, which ran in IMSA in 2009. The car's roof and doors were adorned with prints of works that were in his gallery. (That's me at the right rear corner in the gray hat):
View attachment 32167

Not just Porsches either. My favourite was the M1:

1589807578760.png

What a great car the M1 BMW is. I always wanted one but they keep getting more expensive :( I'll probably have to content myself with a 635 CSi.

Hey @lookforjoe : how about that for a new front spoiler treatment?

Not just Porsches either. My favourite was the M1:

What a great car the M1 BMW is. I always wanted one but they keep getting more expensive :( I'll probably have to content myself with a 635 CSi.

Hey @lookforjoe : how about that for a new front spoiler treatment?

Interesting - much more open - simplifies dealing with that mid section :D

Back