Ansa fitting?

tigeravg

True Classic
So, posted some pics of the cool exhaust I picked up a couple years ago. Another member has tried to make it clear to me that it should bolt up. I believe him Admitting right up front, i'm not the sharpest pencil... I can't noodle it out and I don't want to keep bothering this individual with PM's.
Mock up fitting this afternoon. Don't get it. Can't see how a simple bracket to the tranny is going to work. Nothing seemingly lines up. I am using a '74 exhaust manifold, downpipes line up nicely. The car is a '78.
Any help (or photos) of a similar if not same set up appreciated.
Baffled (excuse the pun).
IMG_6645.jpg
IMG_6651.JPG
IMG_6649.JPG

as others alluded to in your previous post, you MAY need to use the euro type 4/2 exhaust manfold, the USA 1974 manifold has a different offset to the flange, so things wont want to line up....

euro system bolts up like the pictue below, you need the "horse shoe" shaped bracket (66540) from the top of the transmission as shown.

fiatexhaust.jpg

then you need one of Doug's (rx100) lower exhaust mount brackets to attach the lower arm on the muffler to the lower engine mount

SteveC

Yes...Steve is correct. IF....you use all the correct bits.....it should bolt up....

But....there are a couple of variables here.....

Yes...for sure that is a an ANSA exhaust for an X1/9. but there are likely several ANSA mufflers - for different markets/engines/years - that look like that.....but have subtle differences..

The best guess ... well being as you are in the USA.....is that this muffler was intended for a '74 only USA-spec X1/9. ...and if so.....will require a '74 only USA only exhaust manifold. Which - as Steve said - is indeed somewhat different than a very similar looking but actually different euro spec manifold.

So first off.....tell us the casting # on the exhaust manifold you have. And we will go from there.

For interest....here is my thread on the different manifolds out there:

And do tell us...it makes a difference.....you are putting this in a '78 chassis ? AND using the original 1300 engine ??

doug

It's a little difficult to see in the pics that you've posted, but if the lower engine/trans mount you have doesn't look like this one,
1626705525290.png
you need one.
Here is a link from MWB.

The long part of the lower mount extends rearward to mount the muffler on the two holes pointed out below.
mount.jpgInkedfiatexhaust_LI.jpg

Then, the C shaped bracket bolts to the rear of the trans here... (It's obvious where the C shaped bracket attaches to the muffler.)
Inkedfiatexhaust_L2.jpg
To mount the C shaped bracket to the trans you need the special studs/bolts that replace the existing bolts that clamp the trans case together. I don't have any pics of these special bolts with a stud projecting out of it (good description?) but without them you can't mount the C bracket.
I suppose it would be possible to make the special bolts/studs out of a long M8 X 1.25 all thread rod with a nut in the middle?
You can not simply mount the C bracket with a long bolt, because the C bracket is designed to mount on the "head" of the special bolt/stud.

Sorry if my descriptions are less than clear. But, I would not suggest mounting the muffler without the proper support. The Ansa muffler is not very robust and it will destroy itself in short order if it's left to hang on it's own. (IMO it will destroy itself soon enough - even of it's well supported.)

Thanks again gents. And Mike, your descriptions are spot on. I think i'm gonna order that tranny bracket from MWB and be done with it. I have mod capabilities, just didn't want to end up fabbing the whole thing.
BTW, the refresh on this '78 is coming along nicely. I'll post a couple pics this evening.

Got everything in the mail (from Doug) today. Will update progress in "What did you do today..." this week.

BTW, Thanks Doug!

So, posted some pics of the cool exhaust I picked up a couple years ago. Another member has tried to make it clear to me that it should bolt up. I believe him Admitting right up front, i'm not the sharpest pencil... I can't noodle it out and I don't want to keep bothering this individual with PM's.
Mock up fitting this afternoon. Don't get it. Can't see how a simple bracket to the tranny is going to work. Nothing seemingly lines up. I am using a '74 exhaust manifold, downpipes line up nicely. The car is a '78.
Any help (or photos) of a similar if not same set up appreciated.
Baffled (excuse the pun).
View attachment 49776View attachment 49777View attachment 49778
The paint on your X1/9 looks perfect

Back