Any 850 Owner-Drivers ever noticed this ?

lezesig1

expatriot
AXLE ASSEMBLY OPERATING TEMPERATURE.

Perceived heat difference between the left side and right side after driving.

Hand on parts after driving told me that there was a difference. I measured it. Please see the attached rough sketch.

My right side runs hotter.
Anybody else noticed this difference ?

Note: Brake drum left side and right side are cool to barely warm to the touch. Easy braking on each run.
Apron and axle spline are well lubricated and sealed. Spline mesh is good on each side.

Ideas ????

Thanks upfront for any insight
lezesig
'72spi
axle_bearing_temps.jpg

Could that be due to the air flow from the radiator exiting on that side? There is a small "window" in the sheet metal near the flex coupler which would be blowing the warmed air on the drive train on that side (pic below is from a car for sale on e-bay a few years back)...

1661783065677.png

Loren,
That very well could be the culprit. I doubted that much heated air blew out each of those windows in the tin UNTIL I just witnessed it !
We have a continuous 190F FORCED AIR blowing onto the region that is suspect. Very close proximity with little dissipation.

You might have cracked that one! Here I thought it was friction caused by a misaligned spline, or a spline working harder than its opposite, or a worn spline interface.

We have a soft blowtorch (without the flame) constantly throwing heat onto that axle assembly end. That's fact.

lezesig
'72spi

The right rear tire notoriously wore out first on 500s and 600s. It does not seem as bad with 850s, but to me your temperature readings confirm that the cars favor the right rear for the transfer of power to the road.

How many 850's are actually driven enough to heat up the axle on a regular basis? I'd be thrilled if I ever got mine up to temperature.

How many 850's are actually driven enough to heat up the axle on a regular basis? I'd be thrilled if I ever got mine up to temperature.
I have driven mine for 850 miles straight with stops for gas, I would bet it would get to radiator ambient pretty quickly in warm weather.

Loren,
That very well could be the culprit. I doubted that much heated air blew out each of those windows in the tin UNTIL I just witnessed it !
We have a continuous 190F FORCED AIR blowing onto the region that is suspect. Very close proximity with little dissipation.

You might have cracked that one! Here I thought it was friction caused by a misaligned spline, or a spline working harder than its opposite, or a worn spline interface.

We have a soft blowtorch (without the flame) constantly throwing heat onto that axle assembly end. That's fact.

lezesig
'72spi
should be easy to test with some duct tape :)

Thanks for the historical input Chris.

Attached is a pic of what I found on taking this project in.
After several thousand miles the right axle end hammered the stub shaft.
So much so that I had to use a cutoff wheel/slit saw to remove that stub axle and also rendering it unusable.

The left sign was fine with no signs of hammering. The right side stub axle was mushroomed so bad that I suspect that no amount
of end spring would have prevented it. In fact, it ate the spring too.

The right side works harder.....with a flame thrower from the radiator aiding it.
Hammered.jpg

Last edited:
In the 1970's I used to regularly drive mine 1300 miles on leave. I would sleep for a couple of hours though! One trip I even carried a sailing dinghy back on the roof. View attachment 65579
What percentage time did you remain dry ? That looks a fast dinghy! Hard chine, shallow draw.
Reminds me of my yak that flips by itself in the water.
Great shot.

What percentage time did you remain dry ? That looks a fast dinghy! Hard chine, shallow draw.
Reminds me of my yak that flips by itself in the water.
Great shot.
Very fast and always wet. This is my youngest son many years ago.
Gavin Eagle M.jpg

Back