Any advice on removing parking brake plunger from piston?

The status as of now is that the operating arm/wedge and the belleville washers have been removed on both calipers, the piston has been removed on one caliper. So you have the plunger rod sticking out of the inboard end of both calipers, and they are frozen to the aluminum body of the caliper where the plunger passes thru and the small o-rings makes a seal.

You do need heat and press force, but if the tools you are using are the aforementioned heat gun and c-clamp, I think you are guilty of bringing a knife to a gun fight. The mass of the caliper is too much for a typical heat gun to heat up to any effective level, and the c-clamp can't generate enough force to matter.

You need more heat and more pressure to push it out. As in oxy-acetylene torch and a shop press.

The other consideration is, what kind of damage has already been done to the bore by this level of corrision? Not to mention the damage from forcing the plunger out? Will it be able to seal again upon re-assembly?
The clamp had enough force to start deflecting the plunger and the heat gun was applied long enough to get the body to glow. I assume the calipers are toast but new ones will be here Thursday.

The other consideration is, what kind of damage has already been done to the bore by this level of corrision? Not to mention the damage from forcing the plunger out? Will it be able to seal again upon re-assembly?
That is my contention. I doubt they will be salvageable at this point. Frankly I would prefer to find new ones with the peace of mind it will bring.

That is my contention. I doubt they will be salvageable at this point. Frankly I would prefer to find new ones with the peace of mind it will bring.
Normally, they are cheap enough that they are not worth too much time screwing around with. However, they (particularly the right) are out of stock almost everywhere so that has been what's driven me to get it unstuck. Once I found out they are the same part as the 124, I was able to find them at AR. The ones they sell are new, not reconditioned and no core charge. They were in the same price range that most online retails sell the reconditioned ones for.

Back