Any Tips For Brightening Cast Aluminum (SU carb bodies)?

I have noticed that a dremel tool with a stainless wire brush leaves aluminum shiny. I'm not really sure why but it looks like some of the stainless embeds itself in the alumimum pores. Maybe someone can explain it, i'm not a chemist. Personally, I like the freshly cast look of aluminum when it comes out of the ultrasound or carb cleaner.

The aluminum on SU domes is a bit porous, so it doesn't clean or polish easilly. You also don't want to put alot of heat into them with agressive buffing. A company called ZTherapy has a process that compresses and polishes the domes, I think they offer exchange sets. Pistons are matched to the domes, so don't mix them up o_O. Once you get them done, there is a product called ZoopSeal that keeps them nice.

wet blasting is usually about 80% media and approx 20% water,

vapour basting is under 10% media and very high pressure water.

Thats what I understand the difference as.

CO2 (dry ice) blasting is different again.

SteveC

wet blasting is usually about 80% media and approx 20% water,

vapour basting is under 10% media and very high pressure water.

Thats what I understand the difference as.

CO2 (dry ice) blasting is different again.

SteveC
That would make sense. I think many of the companies will use whatever terminology they think will sell the equipment or service, regardless of what they actually have. At least here in the US where neither has been around for too long (in the bigger picture) and few people know very much about them.

Well, I do everything manually. I use fine steel wool and clean it by hand. Works well enough and does not become too shiny.

28:30_DHTA.jpg

Back