Anybody know this car?

TonyK

True Classic
Just purchased at auction South Carolina.
IMG_4142.JPG
Hit at Right Rear Corner. Looking for the owner and the 2nd Key.

TonyK.

Grimsby Ontario Canada

Hi Tony, no info on the owner, but you might have info in the car about the dealer who in turn may help with contacting the owner. What are your plans? restore? I am also curious what one in this condition would cost at auction with fees and taxes? In the earlier thread I mentioned one near me being sold with rough repairs for $3,500.

Hi Tony, no info on the owner, but you might have info in the car about the dealer who in turn may help with contacting the owner. What are your plans? restore? I am also curious what one in this condition would cost at auction with fees and taxes? In the earlier thread I mentioned one near me being sold with rough repairs for $3,500.

It appears to have come from New York.

Cost at Auction $2,800 plus $900 in Auction Fees.

Plans? Swap #2.

TonyK.

Should I just ship my X up to your shop Tony? I would hate to make you come here to put the engine in my car. :D :p :cool:

(Or is this one destined for a certain black Dallara?)

Thanks Tony for the info. I guess that makes the one near me at the lien sale yard a better deal than I thought. They are asking $3,500 but would probably take $3,000. It could be road worthy with a seatbelt and inspection. But the repairs that have been done are awful.

Should I just ship my X up to your shop Tony? I would hate to make you come here to put the engine in my car. :D :p :cool:

(Or is this one destined for a certain black Dallara?)

Yes.

TonyK.

Grimsby Ontario Canada

Hah. Nice M5 Stuart over there on the radial arm saw. As well as all the other nice toys visible...

Mr. Decker the answer to your question is YES.

TonyK.

Grimsby Ontario Canada.

Awesome tony. That car is already wicked looking. I think that wing is going to be working harder in the future. Are you doing this project at Bob's place?

A stupid follow up question: Is there or has anyone heard of a stand alone engine management system for the this family of engines?

There are some racers out there (there may even be one near me about 15 miles away), they can't be running all of this stuff can they?

Best of luck on a new foray into the barely known, at least the right man is on the job!

A stupid follow up question: Is there or has anyone heard of a stand alone engine management system for the this family of engines?

There are some racers out there (there may even be one near me about 15 miles away), they can't be running all of this stuff can they?

Best of luck on a new foray into the barely known, at least the right man is on the job!

There are no aftermarket engine systems for this car. For some reason Fiat put their head in the sand on this one. All we need is an unlocked un-coded ECU from FCA and this could open the door for a lot of interest and parts sales for Fiat.

They are not listening.

So yes you need a lot of stuff from the base car for it to run on the track.

TonyK.

Grimsby Ontario Canada.

Awesome tony. That car is already wicked looking. I think that wing is going to be working harder in the future. Are you doing this project at Bob's place?

Although Bob has a lot of room or had it ( his wife has a lot of craft tables)in his barn/garage, he does not have the machines needed to do this kind of fabrication. He also wants to use the Fiat Air to Air intercoolers instead of the water to air intercooler set up I am running. This will complicate matters in the tight quarts of the engine bay. So for now the Car is at Bob's I have to clear it through Canadian Customs ( Import) and that will not happen until the end of October. When I get to Bob's we have some messing around to do with a complete road car that was never done on the first build. This is needed to grasp a better understanding of the project and the Abarth entity. Will be posting more on this at that time.

TonyK.

Grimsby Ontario Canada.

Hats off to you Tony for your pioneering of this engine swap. Perhaps one day I will send a Strada north for the conversion. I seem to remember reading somewhere that Fiat did use a non Multi Air management system on some early European Nouva 500s. and a version of this was used by Fiat Corsa in the racing versions of the 500. If this is correct it would be interesting to know if this system is available and has some adaptability to NA cars. As it stands now the Abarth engines are plentiful and fairly cheap but almost worthless to retrofitting due to the complex single car dedicated management system. I noticed that some salvage companies have started including the key module, harness, and ecu with their used engines, I assume this is because reprogramming is impossible.

Hats off to you Tony for your pioneering of this engine swap. Perhaps one day I will send a Strada north for the conversion. I seem to remember reading somewhere that Fiat did use a non Multi Air management system on some early European Nouva 500s. and a version of this was used by Fiat Corsa in the racing versions of the 500. If this is correct it would be interesting to know if this system is available and has some adaptability to NA cars. As it stands now the Abarth engines are plentiful and fairly cheap but almost worthless to retrofitting due to the complex single car dedicated management system. I noticed that some salvage companies have started including the key module, harness, and ecu with their used engines, I assume this is because reprogramming is impossible.

I have talked to several salvage yards and they are idiots. An Abarth comes in and they strip it and throw keys away and put all of the other parts on shelf's mixed up never to be mated again. What you now have is a bunch of useless parts. This car's electronic's must be considered as an entity. And you required the PCM ( ECU) the Body Control Module with Key and SKIM antenna and should include, but do not need the dash cluster to be included. I cringe at all of the parts that have been wasted by major dismantlers like LKQ because they are so far behind the times in understanding the evolution of cars and their control systems. Yes you can purchase all of this for $1,000USD, prices have been falling for spare parts and I do not know the reason for this. I would purchase a complete set just to have as spares for my car, I have been looking, but so far no luck on that one. The smaller yards are better because they leave the car intact and only harvest parts when they are sold. Still looking on that one.

TonyK.

Grimsby Ontario Canada.

I have a few theories on why the salvage parts prices are falling and I expect them to fall even further; As the used value drops, for 500 Abarths, now as low as $7k wholesale. Owners are not inclined to pay $3k parts and labor to replace a motor. That with the frequent decision by insurance companies to "salvage" relatively minor damaged cars, means increased supply and decreased demand. The base Fiat 500 is already considered by most people to be a "disposable" car due to its low resale value. The technically complex system does not help parts value either because it means taking your major issues to dealers who are never inexpensive.

Back