Anyone know where the fuse to the overhead courtesy light is?

I was changing the festoon bulb in my overhead courtesy light and managed to pull out part of the fixture stuck to the bulb which shorted out and blew the fuse. The manuals I have say it is fuse 28/3 but none say where it is located. It supposedly fuses that light and the carb fan (sitting in a box in my basement for many decades).

Anybody know where I should look?

Thanks,

Don

Never mind, I found it. It is a removable in-line red fuse holder clipped to the sheet metal above and behind the fuse panel to the left of the steering wheel.

Don, this is an example of one of my pet peeves for the X (shocking I know, I have issues with the X's design). There are a number of such inline fuses throughout the cars. Worse yet it varies widely from year to year and build to build. And the documentation really sucks to know about them. It would not be such an issue to use such fuses if they told anyone where to locate them. Aside from this I love the X. Ok, I have other issues with it, but I still love it. ;)

Don, this is an example of one of my pet peeves for the X (shocking I know, I have issues with the X's design). There are a number of such inline fuses throughout the cars. Worse yet it varies widely from year to year and build to build. And the documentation really sucks to know about them. It would not be such an issue to use such fuses if they told anyone where to locate them. Aside from this I love the X. Ok, I have other issues with it, but I still love it. ;)
If the fuse holder was not bright red, I may still be looking for it! I suppose I should be happy for that.

If the fuse holder was not bright red, I may still be looking for it! I suppose I should be happy for that.
thread revival: any idea who sells these twist shut, fuse holders that are stuck to the frame? My red one which holds the fuse for the carb fan/courtesy light disintegrated. Does anyone still make them for these old style euro fuses?

thread revival: any idea who sells these twist shut, fuse holders that are stuck to the frame? My red one which holds the fuse for the carb fan/courtesy light disintegrated. Does anyone still make them for these old style euro fuses?
They are available from Midwest Bayless. I suspect Fiat Plus will have them as will many of our other vendors.

They are available from Midwest Bayless. I suspect Fiat Plus will have them as will many of our other vendors.
Thanks. I saw those too, but since the design was different, wasn't sure they fit the original fuses.
For testing purposes, could you use alligator clips to simulate the holder?
My courtesy light stopped working. Also can’t remember the last time I heard the carb fan running. This fuse controls them both. I tested the bulb and the holder, both work. Tested the fuse with a multimeter and it appears to be good, so my assumption was the disintegrating fuse holder was the problem…
And, the worry is always trying to find torpedo, 3a replacement fuses

Last edited:
Thanks. I saw those too, but since the design was different, wasn't sure they fit the original fuses.
For testing purposes, could you use alligator clips to simulate the holder?
My courtesy light stopped working. Also can’t remember the last time I heard the carb fan running. This fuse controls them both. I tested the bulb and the holder, both work. Tested the fuse with a multimeter and it appears to be good, so my assumption was the disintegrating fuse holder was the problem…
And, the worry is always trying to find torpedo, 3a replacement fuses
Personally, no one will judge you for using a modern fuse holder and fuse unless you are taking it to Pebble Beach. Have you registered for that event recently? I see you are doing paintwork… :)

Last edited:
Peronally, no one will judge you for using a modern fuse holder and fuse unless you are taking it to Pebble Beach. Have you registered for that event recently? I see you are doing paintwork… :)
that's all I need to know. Damn, now I have to hope they'll refund my entrance fee. 3 amps is 3 amps, correct?

It's funny how things reveal themselves. Courtesy light stopped working, and didn't hear the carb fan lately.

Checked the bulb. Good. Found this thread and located what I think is the fuse, in a separate holder, anchored to the inside panel.

While removing the fuse to check, the holder disintegrated. Old age I guess.

'Installed' 16 amp fuse checks out as 'good'

But...research reveals fuse should be 8 amps? I read in places that fuses of higher ratings are a bad idea? Anyone like to chime in....

20230311_164214_resized.jpg
20230311_162937_resized.jpg

20230312_102922.jpg
20230312_102552.jpg

20230312_110300_resized[80191].jpg

It's funny how things reveal themselves. Courtesy light stopped working, and didn't hear the carb fan lately.

Checked the bulb. Good. Found this thread and located what I think is the fuse, in a separate holder, anchored to the inside panel.

While removing the fuse to check, the holder disintegrated. Old age I guess.

'Installed' 16 amp fuse checks out as 'good'

But...research reveals fuse should be 8 amps? I read in places that fuses of higher ratings are a bad idea? Anyone like to chime in....
Yes, putting in a fuse with a higher rating is a problem. The fuse is there to protect the wiring. If you have wiring designed for 8 Amp and a fuse that won't blow until you reach 24 Amp (A 16 Amp torpedo fuse will handle 16 A indefinitely, but will endure 24 Amp for at least an hour) things might heat up.

If it were my car, I'd replace the broken in-line fuse holder with one that takes ATO, ATC (modern blade fuses) or ATM (smaller than ATO / ATC) fuses. Search for "blade fuse holder", and you'll find a variety of them. I find this style convenient, others might cringe when they see them.

image_2023-03-12_143359666.png

Yes, putting in a fuse with a higher rating is a problem. The fuse is there to protect the wiring. If you have wiring designed for 8 Amp and a fuse that won't blow until you reach 24 Amp (A 16 Amp torpedo fuse will handle 16 A indefinitely, but will endure 24 Amp for at least an hour) things might heat up.

If it were my car, I'd replace the broken in-line fuse holder with one that takes ATO, ATC (modern blade fuses) or ATM (smaller than ATO / ATC) fuses. Search for "blade fuse holder", and you'll find a variety of them. I find this style convenient, others might cringe when they see them.

View attachment 71300
Thanks for the fire clarification. That's what I was hoping you'd say. Someone (previous master mechanics?) also stuck 5 amp fuses in 28/2, where 3 amp fuses are supposed to be controlling the headlight motors. Those 3a guys are harder to find, at least in the original, torpedo design. But since those are only active to open/close the headlights, it's not as big a concern? And only a 2a increase?
Chime in on those if you like :)
Thanks for the tips

Someone (previous master mechanics?) also stuck 5 amp fuses in 28/2, where 3 amp fuses are supposed to be controlling the headlight motors. Those 3a guys are harder to find, at least in the original, torpedo design. But since those are only active to open/close the headlights, it's not as big a concern? And only a 2a increase?
Chime in on those if you like :)
Thanks for the tips
When you run out of options... I would not lose sleep over a 5A fuse where a 3A fuse is called for. If you were so inclined, you could get a pair of these:

s-l500.jpg

for the headlight control fuses. I have never had my hands on an early style fuse box, but I believe you can just unplug the wires for the two 3A fuse locations from the back of the panel and plug them into the substitute fuse holders. Found on eBay.

When you run out of options... I would not lose sleep over a 5A fuse where a 3A fuse is called for. If you were so inclined, you could get a pair of these:

View attachment 71310

for the headlight control fuses. I have never had my hands on an early style fuse box, but I believe you can just unplug the wires for the two 3A fuse locations from the back of the panel and plug them into the substitute fuse holders. Found on eBay.
Just be sure to put some shrink tubing over the bare connectors going to the back of the new fuse assembly.

Yes this is a good way forward.

Last edited:

View attachment 71310

That’s ‘hot’. Good tip, thanks. I’ll get that 28/3, 8amp fuse taken care of first.

Last edited:
Back