Anyone tried these car seat covers?

Bia

True Classic
FIAT X-1/9 BERTONE 1973-1984 LEATHER-LIKE CUSTOM SEAT COVER
Found these on eBay, and just wondering if anyone has these for their X? I was looking into recovering the seats, and with all the other expenses adding up I thought this might buy me a year or two.
Thanks

Found these on eBay, and just wondering if anyone has these for their X? I was looking into recovering the seats, and with all the other expenses adding up I thought this might buy me a year or two.
Thanks
From memory, these look like the ones sold by eBay seller Iggee a few years ago. See discussion in this thread. If these are indeed the same, then they are not replacement seat skins but rather covers that go over your existing seat skins.

Curious about the 73 - 84 range, though. I thought the seats changed before 84.

Last edited:
Thanks

Hi bia,

What color is your interior? If you want black seats, I recommend the Vick's replacement upholstery. They only come in black, but the price is good.

These are actual replacements, you pull the old upholstery and install this set. I used this in my 85X and have been very happy with it.
IMG_1832.JPG

This 85X had the grey/black interior. Heck, the whole car was grey since it was in primer. The seats look good in this pic, but they were actually fairly worn and slightly mismatched in color. So I went black. I put in the Vicks upholstery and fabric dyed the door cards black. I had the exterior painted bright orange which looks great with the blacked out interior.
1st time on trailer 1.JPG 85_new_driver_seat.jpg photoshopped_85.jpg

Hi bia,

What color is your interior? If you want black seats, I recommend the Vick's replacement upholstery. They only come in black, but the price is good.

These are actual replacements, you pull the old upholstery and install this set. I used this in my 85X and have been very happy with it.
View attachment 29278

This 85X had the grey/black interior. Heck, the whole car was grey since it was in primer. The seats look good in this pic, but they were actually fairly worn and slightly mismatched in color. So I went black. I put in the Vicks upholstery and fabric dyed the door cards black. I had the exterior painted bright orange which looks great with the blacked out interior.
View attachment 29280 View attachment 29279 View attachment 29281
Thanks Jim I saw the ones at Vick’s. My interior is blue and I would like to keep it as original as possible, I actually found some carpet on EBay that fits the X and is almost the same as the original. I think that I will try the cheaper ones, and wait until I can get the original ones recovered for $1500 bucks.

I would like to keep it as original as possible

That is where I am lucky I guess. When I bought the 85 it was a project someone else was giving up on. I don't think anything too much on it was still original, so I decided to keep changing stuff. I have an 86X that is almost 100% stock and I will try to keep it that way as much as possible. The driver's seat is a bit worn with a couple small seam splits. Lucky for me, Henk had one remaining set of NOS upholstery that matched my car.

Good luck with your project. Post some pictures as you make progress. We like pictures. :)

wait until I can get the original ones recovered for $1500 bucks
That sounds really high to get the seats recovered? Is that the going price in your area? Perhaps I'm fortunate living in the southwest, where a lot of people have migrated from Mexico and bring their skills with them. My local shops charge around $300 to completely redo a pair of bucket seats. And the quality of work is amazing. It will be a little higher if you want to match certain materials that are very uncommon, but there are a lot to choose from in the quoted price. However there are some places here that want two or three times the price for the same materials and quality of work. So maybe shop around to see what other shops are asking?

EDIT: It just occurred to me that you might be referring to a high level of leather. But even that shouldn't be $1500?

I paid $234 in 1980 to get my seats reupholstered in a semi tractor grade material. The original material was so bad it started splitting after about a year. The replacements still look new.

Reactions: Bia
That sounds really high to get the seats recovered? Is that the going price in your area? Perhaps I'm fortunate living in the southwest, where a lot of people have migrated from Mexico and bring their skills with them. My local shops charge around $300 to completely redo a pair of bucket seats. And the quality of work is amazing. It will be a little higher if you want to match certain materials that are very uncommon, but there are a lot to choose from in the quoted price. However there are some places here that want two or three times the price for the same materials and quality of work. So maybe shop around to see what other shops are asking?

EDIT: It just occurred to me that you might be referring to a high level of leather. But even that shouldn't be $1500?
That seems to be going rate around here. I got 3 different quotes and give or take $50 bucks, I should add that that did include both door cards being redone as well. ( one quote without the door cards was $1300). And that was for Vinyl, I didn’t even want to know how much leather was!

I also just realized you are in Canada, I assume the prices you are quoting is Canadian dollars? But it still seems a bit high even after converting to USD. However I know there are definite differences for things in various regions. So I can see why a set of standard covers is a much better option. ;)
You could plan a vacation to bring your seats here and the difference would pay for the trip. :D

Reactions: Bia
( one quote without the door cards was $1300)

Hey Bia - I'm here in Toronto - I keep hearing great things about these guys - and they have done many local Fiats, but $1K + is about right. If you try Diamond Auto Trim in Aurora - you will fall out of your chair! - They are awesome, I have used them (for work) and they did an amazing job. Cheap? no. Some vinyl material is VERY expensive. Depends on what you need done, but consider that the original foam is probably baffed out and will need to be replaced.

My original seats need to be redone, and I will probably use these guys based on all the feedback I've heard. I've seen their work, looked good!

upload_2020-2-18_21-1-49.png

Hey Bia - I'm here in Toronto - I keep hearing great things about these guys - and they have done many local Fiats, but $1K + is about right. If you try Diamond Auto Trim in Aurora - you will fall out of your chair! - They are awesome, I have used them (for work) and they did an amazing job. Cheap? no. Some vinyl material is VERY expensive. Depends on what you need done, but consider that the original foam is probably baffed out and will need to be replaced.

My original seats need to be redone, and I will probably use these guys based on all the feedback I've heard. I've seen their work, looked good!

View attachment 29388
Thanks Myron, I will definitely give them a call.

@Bia - anytime! BTW: There are two Italian car meets here in Toronto (Woodbridge actually). Tuesday nights are the Toronto Fiat Club, first Tuesday of every month is the big meet but it continues every Tuesday (weather permitting). The Ontario Fiat Club runs their meets first Thursday of every month (weather permitting). Both are at La Paloma in Woodbridge (I'll provide more details as soon as the weather starts getting better!) - there are a few X1/9s that come out. It's a lot of fun. I sat in an X1/9 that had seats redone at Maple Crest. They looked great!

@Bia - anytime! BTW: There are two Italian car meets here in Toronto (Woodbridge actually). Tuesday nights are the Toronto Fiat Club, first Tuesday of every month is the big meet but it continues every Tuesday (weather permitting). The Ontario Fiat Club runs their meets first Thursday of every month (weather permitting). Both are at La Paloma in Woodbridge (I'll provide more details as soon as the weather starts getting better!) - there are a few X1/9s that come out. It's a lot of fun. I sat in an X1/9 that had seats redone at Maple Crest. They looked great!
That would be great! Keep me posted.

So a follow up with the seat covers. I decided to go with a company called totally covers, they had more colors to choose from and they said that their covers were semi custom and had ones for an X. Well they suck!

I got them in the fall, and was so pissed with the fit I boxed them up and put them in storage.
Fast forward to a couple of weeks ago when I went to talk to my upholstery guy to talk to him about redoing the seats, I explained to him about how S&*t the covers were and that I was going to bite the bullet and have him re-upholster the seats. He told me to bring in the seats and covers and said he would see if he could fix them.

To my surprise he was able to add some new foam and straps and now the seats look pretty darn good! Not perfect, but I should be able to get a couple of years out of them, and all for the cost of a case of beer.

Attachments

• PXL_20210812_191541167.jpg
    PXL_20210812_191541167.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 90
Back