Are mid-80’s Alfa Spiders much more expensive to keep going than late 70’s FIAT 124 Spiders?

What Eric said at the top of the thread although for me I'd have the Alfa but not a mid '80s one, Series 1 'boat tail' is the prettiest thing you could every want to see but you will pay big $$$$$$ for it. The Kamm tail series 2 would be my other choice and not as expensive...

Go buy the Alfa Owners Bible book by Pat Braden and read up on it. He's very open and candid about the problems an Alfa can present. For example the Alfa's have a slight tendency to blow head gaskets and spit out crank journal plugs. I've seen the crank plug problem at my buddies shop and it requires a major overhaul. He also goes into detail on the various FI systems. I'd be hesitant to buy any 80's Bosch FI cars as the ECU's, AFM/AMM, Idle Air control devices are not available. Be aware of what you are getting into. That stuff works brilliantly until it doesnt and then your scrambling at a fix and scouring the parts yards. Most mechanics these days are plug and play and if they cant replace a part they dont know what to do.

Consider the ergonomics too. The Alfa is very short on visibility and legroom if your tall. I'm 6'2" and if I sit up right in an Alfa I can see the top of the windscreen. The '87 is probably fitted with AC so they jammed the vents right where your knee's go.

Back