Article: Let’s Take A Moment To Remember Those Bonkers Fiat X1/9 Ladder Bumpers

MissTempura

Low Mileage
The Autopian web site was started from writers who were initially as Jalopnik. I noticed that they recently posted an ode to the ladder-style bumpers of the earlier Fiat X 1/9s.

One of the gems: "I think these tend to get maligned in the X1/9 community, but I think I like these strange, functional battering rams. They have a sort of unashamed industrial-looking design that fits well with the sharp lines of the car."

What do you all think?

unashamed industrial-looking design that fits well with the sharp lines of the car
Garbage. A very poor stop-gap design with zero redeeming features. In no way consistent with the "sharp lines" FFS. And no, I an't gonna follow the deliberate controversy click bait.

You guys miss the point. They are great because they come all apart with simple tools and you can make your own single rail, half decent looking bumper out of the parts.

The 79 and later bumpers are no styling prize either.

You guys miss the point. They are great because they come all apart with simple tools and you can make your own single rail, half decent looking bumper out of the parts.

Agreed!
81DF9704-A04E-411F-81AC-A7F6D064331C.jpeg

And you can remove the rubber ends and fabricate an aluminum end cap.

Attachments

• DSCN2052.JPG
    DSCN2052.JPG
    160.4 KB · Views: 48
Could be wrong, but I seem to remember weighing everything when removing them from my '78 (and associated hardware). It came to something like 47lbs total. Bathroom scale so... Still, pretty significant.

See? Another positive.

I have always felt that the X 1/9 sheet metal is somewhat unfinished appearing beneath the nose and that some sort of style termination is required. the one twincam69 showed is among the btter better bumper mods. But in all honesty, I never really liked the X 1/9 until the 79s came out. Big or no, at least it tapers the wedge style and lengthens an otherwise stubby front and rear termination. Just my opinion.

Back