Audi Quattro vs Lancia 037 - Grand Tour - Must See!

It was entertaining, but I'm not certain of some of the tall tales they told. The part about 200 cars parked, go to lunch, go to the other car park to count the other 200, pretty sure that's all made up. As far as I know, the 200 (204 actually, I think) Stradales that were build satisfied the FIA homologation requirement, so no such chicanery was needed.

Pete

Hmm I thought it was 200 also but Clarkson said it was 400 back then? Other than that quasi cheating has always been rampant in auto racing and I can see Lancia going to the extremes that they did to compete.

Carol Shelby repainted the same Cobra over and over to make it look like they had built many of them when in fact they had only built one!

Carol Shelby repainted the same Cobra over and over to make it look like they had built many of them when in fact they had only built one!

True, but that was to potential wholesalers of the car, not a sanctioning body. I would have to believe the FIA would be smart enough to record the serial numbers of the cars, in order to circumvent exactly this possibility.

Pete

Ah, the good old days when rally cars looked sort of like real cars. Today they all look like jelly beans....hmmm....real cars look like jelly beans too...OK, forget what I said. The spectators were insane, more like the running of the bulls.

A shame such an awesome segment was “ruined” by the error in homologation requirements. Group B required 200 road going examples sold. These cars were Group B.

Previous to Group A and B, there was Group 2 and Group 4. The Lancia Stratos was a Group 4 car and as such, 400 road going examples must be made. The homologation story that Clarkson tells was about the Stratos and the required 400 units (and lunch in between), not the 037.

Shame such an error “ruins” such an awesome video.

Last edited:
Back