Austin Grand Prix F1

Love me some F1 but went 2 years ago and it was a huge disorganized mess. Didn't help that it rained for 2 days before the race, which screwed all parking (mostly big dirt fields, not paved lots). Paid $100 for a premium parking spot close to the track which I was then denied from using, no refund. Then there was a huge amount of misinformation on the radio about parking at the downtown convention center and a shuttle will take you right to the track. Shuttles were running, yes, but hours long lines so "right to the track" was not happening. And yes you have to pay for parking at the convention center, never mind that you already paid for parking. Said to heck with that and parked at a grocery store on the east edge of town and called a taxi. Then after the event, no one knew where you were supposed to go for the Elton John concert, even the people that were working the event. Finally time to leave, guess what, no taxis allowed on COTA grounds (except for dropoffs), so had to walk several miles to a gas station to call a taxi. Glad I went, but probably won't be doing it again. Did I mention it was expensive as hell? Anyhow, you get more info from watching on TV.

Pete

Yeah! I ran into Walter and a couple of others! Totally random that I walked by him and saw everyone eating lunch...

Love me some F1 but went 2 years ago and it was a huge disorganized mess.

Pete - that's disappointing to hear, as I plan to go sometime in the next couple of years. With the size of the price tag, you would think they would have an army of top notch event organizers and provide instant access to information.

Paul

I have been every year and two years ago was horrible. They had no idea what to do with the hurricane storms and no place for people stay dry. They offered a refund policy last year if it rained. This year I don’t know what the policy is but the weather is getting better. So not too worried.

Ed

proud to be a dutchman :). I went to the spa-franchorchamps grand prix sevarl times. same issues. trafic hell and very expensive for what you get. This year i made a comproms. I bought gold tickets cheap for the Friday practise to get the feeling i was there and watched the race on sunday in front of the televsion.

I get 4 free tickets each year for the race and concert and unfortunately went during the wet race 2 years ago. It was a mess, and I feel sorry for anyone that took the shuttles from downtown - the line was depressing! I just parked in the mud nearby and walked. It is a very nice venue, though, and a great place to see vintage racing.

Back