Autocross launching- how to?

Hasbro

True Classic
I was wondering how to launch a lightened X with 225/45/13s Toyo R888Rs (20.7 diameter) and a turbo with 115whp. The 5 speed has not been touched yet.

I would imagine wheel spin launch would trash the trans but Steve H is obviously the answer man on this.

The "safe way" to launch your car is to load the gears. Hold the E brake to keep the car from rolling, while holding the throttle at the desired RPM let the clutch out just enough that it starts dragging and creates a slight load on the gear set but not enough to move the car. From there dump the clutch and go.

This is still not a nice way to treat the transmission and it will eventually break but it will help reduce a bit of the shock to the gears when you dump the clutch. It will also cause premature wear on the clutch.

Yeah, tranny longevity is my concern. It helps to be able to rebuild them in your sleep!...

This would be just for fun and suspension tuning so I will be gentler at the start ( I just bought a turboed D16 CRX for autocross so I won't be beating on the X). I was also wondering if the smaller diameter tire and extra torque from the turbo would allow a 2nd gear start.

Last edited:
Back