Automatic transmission conversion on fiat 128

Sharaka

Hi all,
I am in the process to purchase fiat 128 sedan to do a project and one of the things iam planing to do is to swap the transmission to Auto.
I am planing for lancia dedra 1.6 engine because it have auto transmission.

Any ideas about this conversion

Another question is the new engines (fire engines) available in grand punto, fiat palio, fiat 500 and alfa romeo Mito can fit easily in fiat 128 sedan or need a lot of work?

Sorry for all those questions but last time i drove those cars i was 16th and it was 128 zestava hatchback
Regards

The Fire engine series are going to be a more difficult fit in a 128. The Dedra 1581cc engine would be a reasonable install. The transmission is another matter.

You will likely need to make custom drive shafts as an automatic won’t share the tripod inners of a 128 series transmission.

It would be interesting to see and hear how this turns out.

Karl, could he use later X axles and uprights, working with CV joints instead? Or is the track narrower on a 128?

The Fire engine series are going to be a more difficult fit in a 128. The Dedra 1581cc engine would be a reasonable install. The transmission is another matter.

You will likely need to make custom drive shafts as an automatic won’t share the tripod inners of a 128 series transmission.

It would be interesting to see and hear how this turns out.

Thanks for the reply
i was thinking to get the driveshaft of the dedra it self to fit it in but i still didn't know the Measurements and the difference between the two driveshafts

I don’t know the answer to these detail questions, it will bear some careful measuring.

The Ritmo/Strada came with a 1500 and was available with an automatic transmission, perhaps the parts from one would be appropriate. I don’t recall if the Yugo came with an automatic, if it did it would be an ideal transmission and driveline parts candidate. The 1581 Dedra engine would bolt right up to this pairing.

Courtney Waters (128kid) would be a good member to ask about this subject as he has dealt with this Fiat platform more than most folks.

Back