Automotive based television shows

Dr.Jeff

True Classic
Lately we've had several discussions about some of the TV programming that focuses on shops building cars. The other day I watched an episode of one building a custom car for a customer and they are doing some amazing metal work. The show is "Bitchin' Rides", from Dave Kindig's "Kindig It Designs" shop. Although I'm not interested in "muscle cars", and that's primarily what they build, his guys are very talented craftsmen. And this episode of a '65 Mustang build (part 1 of 2) showed them making custom front and rear aprons; the front incorporates a nice air dam and the rear a diffuser, all in metal and really clean work. They also made great custom headers and exhaust, various other body mods (including the use of 3D printing to help achieve a complex body part), and a closely fitted roll cage that will be concealed when the interior is done. Speaking of interiors, that's another area where they have fantastic craftsmen. Despite the usual "made for TV" things that distract from the work being done, they did show a lot of the processes involved in the fabrication of the custom work. The rest of the build should be in the next episode.

It's rare but I've seen this level of custom fabrication on more interesting cars, like rather 'exotic' supercars, etc. Unfortunately the extreme cost of such work makes it unrealistic for something like the X, but that would be a very cool ride.

That is a good show. They build cars over multiple episodes so you get to see more of what is going on. They also don't focus so much on the schedule as some shows do with their "up against the deadline" mentality in the plot which really is either horse crap or an indication that nobody is good at scheduling.

One of my favorites was the copper Cadillac. That had some amazing work done to it.

That is a good show. They build cars over multiple episodes so you get to see more of what is going on. They also don't focus so much on the schedule as some shows do with their "up against the deadline" mentality in the plot which really is either horse crap or an indication that nobody is good at scheduling.
One of my favorites was the copper Cadillac. That had some amazing work done to it.
Although there's still more chatting and "entertainment" than I'd prefer, it has a lot less of it than most shows. And as you say, it does show a good deal of the actual building process. I noticed some of their builds take well over a year to do, which is very realistic.

Most of their builds are on vehicle models that aren't my personal preference, but I like to see the fabrication processes involved regardless of what it's on. Especially because they specialize in modifying and customizing, which is what I'm all about. From what I can tell they seem to do things to a very high standard. Some of the work they've done is simply amazing.

I enjoy watching watching these shows as well. Its truly amazing watching these shops work.
"Rust Valley Restorers" is my favorite. Its a comedy really. :)

I enjoy watching watching these shows as well. Its truly amazing watching these shops work.
"Rust Valley Restorers" is my favorite. Its a comedy really. :)
I haven't heard of "Rust Valley Restorers". Is that a internet program or what channel is it aired on?

I haven't heard of "Rust Valley Restorers". Is that a internet program or what channel is it aired on?
Its on History Channel, Canadian version. In its third season filmed in BC is also on Netflix.
You heard of Goblin Works Garage? Another Canadian show from Nova Scotia, This guy is very unique. Its on Discovery Velocity here in Canada.

Last edited:
Its on History Channel, Canadian version. In its third season filmed in BC is also on Netflix.
You heard of Goblin Works Garage? Another Canadian show from Nova Scotia, This guy is very unique. Its on Discovery Velocity here in Canada.
Goblin Works is kinda fun. In Canada, tune into Discovery Velocity on Mon March 1, 10pm EST for the final U.S. season of 'Wheeler Dealers', being led off with the superlative FIAT X 1/9 of course, episode title 'Some Like It FIAT'

Last edited:
Goblin Works is British, the Nova Scotia show is Bad Chad Customs. Bad Chad is definitely unique, but also quite sketchy, I don't think I would trust most of his creations.

"Iron Resurrection" out of Texas is a good combination of entertainment, tech, and personalies related to building good quality hot rod types of cars. These are not your 200K builds but then you don't have to listen to Dave and "Kevdog's" annoying banter. Most cars seem to be in the 50K range.
They do a variety of cars including a completely reworked Karman Ghia to go with Novas, trucks, and other mostly American Sedans.
Worth watching.

Goblin Works is British, the Nova Scotia show is Bad Chad Customs. Bad Chad is definitely unique, but also quite sketchy, I don't think I would trust most of his creations.
This what happens when I go from memory lol, yes not really daily drivers. Nice chattin with you again🙃

Thanks. I don't think "Rust Valley..." is on the History Channel here. But honestly I don't watch that much TV so I may have missed it. I'll have to take a closer look. ;)

The "Goblin Works" show does come here and I've enjoyed many of the vehicles they built. The girl is easy on the eyes also. :)

However the cars "Bad Chad" builds are simply junk in my opinion. Why would anyone watch how he builds them and then want to buy one? Not to mention how ugly they are. And honestly I cannot for the life of me understand what a attractive girl with a college degree in business sees in that ignorant hillbilly (please, no offense to anyone, only a figure of speech). Baffles the mind, but maybe offers hope for the rest of us losers. :p

I'll have to take a look for the 'bitchin' rides" show - I like to see fabrication. I haven't made it a point to look for car build shows at all - really not interested in the banter-between-owner/workers/family that several of the shows I have clicked on in passing seem to focus on - not at all interested in watching them as 'personalities' in the slightest.

not interested in the banter
Sadly there is enough of that "personality" stuff on "Bitchin Rides" to interfere with the full enjoyment. But not nearly as much as most shows, and it's more joking around than stressed anger. However my comments were more about the technical work they show, mainly custom fabrication skills (although I still wish they'd show a lot more of it). A recent episode took a early American pickup truck and modified the original top of the cab to be a full retractable hardtop convertible, like a modern Mercedes. The engineering to create it, the fabrication to make it work, and their craftsmanship on it was all amazing. Then add to that a custom handmade sculpted body side molding going all the way around the truck. And everything is done in metal. With Dave's shop being in nearby Salt Lake City he brings a lot of his creations to Vegas for the bigger shows. So I've been able to see the workmanship up close; looks as good in person as on TV.

With the understanding that most of these types of shows have to inject some non-build related crap into their content, (either to differentiate themselves from others or to appeal to a broader base that might not include hardcore gear heads)... the only ones I can tolerate these days are Bitchin Rides, Iron Resurrection and lately I've really been diggin Car S.O.S. on Disney Plus. The quality of the work done on these shows, along with the glimpses you get into the different processes they go through, make it worth sitting through the other shite that might not be missed.

If the producers of car related shows relied on building content for the type of people who frequent this forum, they'd go broke. They need to get the much larger non-technical crowd to watch which mostly requires drama, banter and other more approachable content. Oh, you also need cool hair, beard or something else for these shows it seems...

Happily there are other sources of video content aimed at more technical, hands-on people I see on this forum. Mostly YouTube (obviously) but it is fantastic that it is there.

If the producers of car related shows relied on building content for the type of people who frequent this forum, they'd go broke. They need to get the much larger non-technical crowd to watch which mostly requires drama, banter and other more approachable content. Oh, you also need cool hair, beard or something else for these shows it seems...

Happily there are other sources of video content aimed at more technical, hands-on people I see on this forum. Mostly YouTube (obviously) but it is fantastic that it is there.
Youtube is definitely the right place if what you’re looking for are video versions of service manuals.

Back