Back with some question (engine)

receive my parts from Matt this morning

little more cleaning and ready to reinstall
here some photo
old ring end gap at top was .045
new one at bottom .012 at top .016 on spec for all 4

The head picture is interesting!
The first time you showed a picture of this the head was still quite dirty, and going by the cast in number I picked the head as being the same as the 1500 australian spec (with air reed valve port to the exhaust) ... but looking at it now, nice and clean, it has a full circular decompression recess. Same casting number but with an additional factory machining step....

looks like your going to end up with 8 - 8.5: static compression.

You might want to check that the M12 head fasteners will fit thru the head holes... that head might need the holes enlarged.

I wonder what North American model this was fitted to?

SteveC

Steve
i'm a little bit confuse about this head
hole for the ten head bolt are the good size for M12
I'm not sure but many of my spare parts are coming from somewhere but not from north america
I know the OP import parts from Italia

Last edited:
Wait a minute, if the ring gap is different depending upon where it is in the bore, does that not mean that your cylinder is not a true cylinder, but somewhat tapered?

your reflextion is right Dan
the mesurement I put is noy very accurated i take it fast just to see the difference between the old ring and the new one

Dont worry i check the bore with dial bore for rond and tappered and everything is in spec

today i plastigauge the crank and conecting rod on spec with new bearing

Definitely from North America with the full circular decompression recess... if it's 1500, and carb, and suits M12 sized fasteners, then it's an early 1980 carb US spec X19 head...they used an odd bolt which was M12 just under the head, but narrowed down to an M10 thread.

Interesting that they made this head version in both flat (euro) and decompression (USA spec) ... seen it before on other versions, but not with this particular casting number. The one that was fitted to my 1982 complianced 1500 is date stamped 1980

Hole that needs to be plugged on spark plug side is to the right of and slightly up from the temp sender in this pic.

Note how the Italians spell Spyder....

SteveC

Thank you Steve
I appreciated all your comments

next time put some photo of the engine but for now I have to work on my son car (Mini Cooper supercharged) :mallet:

Back