Badge and emblem removal

DSpieg

True Classic
About to get my 850 Spider painted (YAY!!!) and need to prep the car. I can't find any information about how to remove the Fiat and Bertone emblems/badges from the panels. I'm pretty sure they have metal pins on the backside going into holes, but I don't know if they're fastened inside the panel with nuts (undoubtedly rusted by now), or clips, or if they're bonded on or welded in. Am trying to avoid breaking them or bending the panels. Anyone know how to do this right?

Hi Dave - on my car, the round FIAT badges on the nose and engine compartment lid have screws (I think that they are welded and made of brass like the badge) and are held in place by small nuts. The Bertone and Torino badges on the sides of the front fenders have pins (those I think are cast) and are held on with clips. When I disassembled mine I gave them a shot of rust blaster, let them soak for a day, and they came apart somewhat easily. ljf

Thanks for the info, Loren. I was hoping someone else might chime in but it looks like you're the guru at this point! Am planning to work on the car over the weekend, hopefully it will go well, otherwise I'll be up here on the Board asking more ignorant questions.

Early badges had threaded studs on the back which had washers and nuts. Later they went to studs which had plastic snaps that engaged an offset on the stud.

Hey guys, thanks for the tips, got 'em all off last night with no damage to anything (woot!). On my '71, which had been repainted many years ago by a previous owner (so presumably the items had been removed at least once in the past), the front and rear round Fiat badges had small nuts on threaded studs, all easily accessible, and the Torino and Bertone emblems on the sides had non-threaded studs with no retainers on the inner sides, but were lightly glued to the body with something resembling RTV or maybe hot-melt glue.

Just make sure to put something fun back on!
46B3D843-C0C6-4369-B0E1-4183C9AC5C6D.png

Photos post-MAACO repaint, with its younger brother the X1/9 (also recently repainted by the same shop). DOG is my copilot.

Attachments

• Fiats_post-MAACO_Nov2020 #1.jpg
    Fiats_post-MAACO_Nov2020 #1.jpg
    253.6 KB · Views: 102
  • Fiats_post-MAACO_Nov2020 #4.jpg
    Fiats_post-MAACO_Nov2020 #4.jpg
    264.7 KB · Views: 104
  • Fiats_post-MAACO_Nov2020 #5.jpg
    Fiats_post-MAACO_Nov2020 #5.jpg
    223.5 KB · Views: 103
  • Fiats_post-MAACO_Nov2020 #6.jpg
    Fiats_post-MAACO_Nov2020 #6.jpg
    308.2 KB · Views: 107
  • Fiats_post-MAACO_Nov2020 #7.jpg
    Fiats_post-MAACO_Nov2020 #7.jpg
    324.5 KB · Views: 100
  • Fiats_post-MAACO_Nov2020 #8.jpg
    Fiats_post-MAACO_Nov2020 #8.jpg
    291 KB · Views: 103
  • Fiats_post-MAACO_Nov2020 #11.jpg
    Fiats_post-MAACO_Nov2020 #11.jpg
    384 KB · Views: 104
  • Fiats_post-MAACO_Nov2020 #3.jpg
    Fiats_post-MAACO_Nov2020 #3.jpg
    295 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:
Tough question, they are totally different cars in so many ways. I guess I'll avoid giving you a good answer by just saying it depends on the day and the type of drive. I've driven both cars extensively on our DCFiats club runs over the years, and I usually wait to the last minute to decide which car to take. The X1/9 is a better daily driver (in fact my 18-year-old daughter is the primary driver of the X nowadays, and I've never let her drive the 850), but for myself I feel a bit more 'special' in the 850 because of its vintage looks and feel. The X has the go-cart handling of course, but the 850 handles surprisingly well too though I'm sure it would be slower in a slalom, and it makes up for that with a more comfortable ride and roomier interior.

I'd hate to give up either one.

You nailed it for old cars in general. They each have their own character . I love driving my 77 F150 as much as love driving the 850 or my 79 Alfetta (which I just noticed you have too) and I would hate to give up any of them

Back