Banned from a car show?

carl

True Classic
This coming Saturday is the Rockville, Maryland car show. It's a long running classic car show with everything from Model Ts, steam cars and Ferraris. I forget the cut off date but Fiats qualify and our club usually has a nice turn out. Weather and family commitments willing, I plan to bring the Fatrat.

IMG_1090[2].JPG

But, and this is a big but, the cars are supposed to be stock. My feeling is Todd will show up in a very nice Bertone and another buddy of ours will show up in his perfect 74 so we need something to spice up our display. It will be fun to see if they relegate me to the spectator parking lot but I have shown up in other questionable Fiats (Granju owns two of them) without any problem. Stay tunes.

We had one with those same "silly" rules. It took about 4 years of another club showing up in the parking lot with customized cars to have more cars to show in the parking lot than the real show. they changed their rules. To try to get more stock cars in the show, if yours was stock (or real close) it was cheaper to register.

Odie

Looks like an extremely rare "Grand Prix" edition, of which less than a dozen were made, and only one is rumored to still exist somewhere in the eastern United States (and spoken about in hushed & reverent tones)........Virginia, I think. They should be happy to have such a rare example in their show. Beautiful car and tasteful job!
Good luck & enjoy the weekend, and the drive!

and this is a big but
He-he, he said "big but".

So let me get this straight. You are talking about taking the RAT to a nice car show and you think they might not allow it to be shown because it isn't stock? Really, you think THAT is the reason they won't want your car in the show? :D

I like "7982X" suggestion. Register it as a stock "Abarth edition" or such.

You guys are funny because I actually thought of telling them it is the rare Stradale version of the X...and bring the FAZA bible to show some obscure pictures of it. This would actually work better if I had the snorkel project done but that won't happen in time.

When I saw the title "banned from a car show", I was sure it was about Carl. Don't ask me why, but it had to be Carl. For no explainable reason, but the name "Carl" was written all over it... That's sad because the Fatrat has become an interesting car to see.

Like they will recognize a Fiat X1/9
Good point Todd. Carl, just tell them it is a Toyota MR2 or Triumph TR7 or Mazda RX7 or Pontiac Fiero or any of the other mistaken identities the X gets. They are more likely to believe that than a 'Stradale' or any other name they've never heard of.

Maybe I should just call it "Carl's car" and they will fully understand. I already sent an email to the organizers telling them to be on the look out for Todd's X as it's wildly illegal with those 15" wheels.

I would never bother to be part of a car show that would have a car like any of mine

And, Carl, shouldn't I have all the trophies that were won to go with the cars?

Last edited:
Yes, he does have all the trophies my cars have won, that's a fact. This is not really a judging car show, although apparently there is some manner of car judging. This is more like cars and coffee meets snooty car gathering....you know, like most brit car shows.

I like to go look at the Corvairs, BMW 2002s and XKEs.....I have already seen all the Fiats and Lancias that show up...amazing that most folks seem to keep their Fiats and Lancias for years and years, I can't relate.

With my luck an old WWII 6x6 will get lose and roll down the hill into Fatat.

This is not really a judging car show, although apparently there is some manner of car judging.
I think that may be called "judgemental" rather than judging. I know what you mean and I can't stand the attitude. I like the cars, but not necessarily their owners.

With my luck an old WWII 6x6 will get lose and roll down the hill into Fatat.
So I'm guessing there are no light poles at this location? Or is it more that your daughter isn't allowed to attend? :D

All joking aside, I love car shows and really miss living in an area that offers lots of them to choose from - pretty much anything you could desire, year round. Looking back, the sad thing is growing up there I pretty much took them for granted and did not attend nearly as often as I could have. Sometimes you don't know what you have until it's gone. :(

Is saw the title and immediately thought that maybe an organiser had been to your Facebook page and found a post critical of some folk hero like Che or Stalin and got the hump with you.

I don't do facebook and never had but maybe Russians or Chinese are running a fake facebook page about me.

Just a few tasks to do assuming family commitments allow me to go Saturday. I have to touch up some paint spots on the passenger door where my red redo over the yellow redo (when the doors were on the race car) got nicked and the yellow is showing...masking tape, news paper and a spritz of Rustoleum will solve that. Why do a fantasize about putting white "meatballs on the door for racing numbers?

Doc, there are a lot of car shows in the DC area...it helps to take our minds off "things" going on in the halls of government.
There is a weekly Saturday event called Katies cars and coffee that is way over attended by cars you can only dream about. I assume the first C8 Corvette will probably show up as soon as the cars are on the road. It's from 6:00 to 9:00 in the morning and I rarely get up early enough to go there.

I think that may be called "judgemental" rather than judging. I know what you mean and I can't stand the attitude. I like the cars, but not necessarily their owners.
I may not even dislike those owners, but in that context the worst is brought out. That scene was always the worst aspect of enjoying any German car I've owned (well, not the air cooled VWs were different, but in reality my "car enthusiast" VW friends then were probably just a combination of the usual hippie or anarchist people who also had them) and I recoil when I see/hear/read tinges of that coming into the Fiat world. I was once largely chastised for driving into a FFO show field dead bugs on the front of my car. As happened, and I did not have the energy or time to explain, about 20 hours earlier, I had been with a friend picking up his new-to-him Scorpion which proceeded to break down in grand manners repeatedly from Richmond VA to Asheville NC, so we had been driving all night, stopping to swap batteries between the Scorpion & my 124 Coupe & at various truck stops to buy parts...so we had been driving through the night and, yeah, sorry didn't stop to detail my car. I was told I would ruin the photo. I still have & enjoy displaying that panoramic photo from 2003. Shame about the bugs! ;)

There are times when a car displayed shows off some impressive work by the owner, but museum piece display-vs-driven cars, over-restored cars and cars where all the guy who's showing it off did was write a check occupy my interest for very few seconds. I kind of feel like in those latter cases, the artisans who did the work should have a hand in the display, I guess like some home repair people put up yard signs while they do work. I mean, if the car is really cool/pretty/etc, let's give the person who made it that way some business! (not that they are likely short on business if they are good...)

Having a car 'too nice to drive' is like marrying a virgin and not having sex with her because you're saving her for the next guy.

These badges seem to cause a few folks to suffer heart palpitations at local shows. People see what they want to see. Some get it, some melt down. Good times either way. :p:cool:
20190504_143527.jpg

We have an Italian Car Meet here - and it's exclusively Italian cars. When other cars show up, the owners get really pissed off that they're not allowed to park in the assigned spots for Italian cars! (it's a weekly meet). They are asked to move, and most get really defiant.

Luckily, we allow any Italian car - no matter how modified!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/myronsamila/albums/72157632566530859

That's quite a variety of cars there!!

"we allow any Italian car"......do the cars have to have an Italian nameplate or carrozzeria badge? How about a Jeep Renegade, Jeep nameplate but made in Melfi, Italy?

Last edited:
Back