Banned from a car show?

CG, I'll be making up some enamel badges for you to put on the spider and 128 wagon to give full credit to me.

Some day the Fiat club will get new, progressive management and I can see folks being sent home from Freakout because their Fiat was trailered to the event.

Joe D will be the only member allowed to have a trailered Fiat on the grounds.

I've been pitching Friedman Works to anyone who will listen.

Until I make some significant changes to either of those, I always give full credit to the builder. So, yeah, I guess I'm part of the problem there because when people compliment them I just say, "hey, all I did was write a check" ;)

Well, actually I did a lot of extra electrical stuff on the 128, but ultimately I don't think it's enough to take any real credit.

I usually ban myself from car shows by simply having too much other stuff to do & not being able to attend. However, this weekend, I believe we will have a family presence at a C&C event with my wife driving her '85 Pininfarina. I will likely bring another car for which I did nothing more than write a check for. Dang, I'm more & more of the problem the more I think about it.

Some day the Fiat club will get new, progressive management .

I agree, DCFiats need new, progressive management! Time to throw out the current regime and start new. I vote for Carl to lead the club forward to new heights.

CG, I'll be making up some enamel badges for you to put on the spider and 128 wagon to give full credit to me.

Some day the Fiat club will get new, progressive management and I can see folks being sent home from Freakout because their Fiat was trailered to the event.

Isn't that applicable to trailered Fiat autocrossers now?

This discussion about car show attitude is primarily why I do not display my cars in shows. I'll drive them there and park in the regular parking area, but I don't register or show them in the show. And often I find as many people standing around my car in the parking lot as I see around any of the cars in the show. My interests are primarily about making cars for me; building customs that fit my taste and passion, and not about what other people think of them.

"we allow any Italian car"......do the cars have to have an Italian nameplate or carrozzeria badge? How about a Jeep Renegade, Jeep nameplate but made in Melfi, Italy?

Thanks - yes, we do get a nice variety. It was funny when a guy in a Ferrari F50 showed up and parked beside an old 500 :)

Ha, good point - not sure that would go over well, but if it's a 500X - or even a Mexican made 500 - that is just fine! :) We've noticed more X1/9s coming out of these events, from long term owners. So nice to see :)

Well not all shows are bad. I posted this picture last spring in which we took the 79 to the annual Albuquerque Art Museum Car SHow and won the Museum Choice award.
IMG_0917.JPG

Todd is President For Life of DCfiats and is just trying to get out of that job. I was a federal civil servant for 42 years and have no desire to become head of any organization, even those that are Fiat based. The cars I like to view at car shows are cars that interest me, that is cars I might possibly have built, not just cars that cost six figures or more.

In an alternative universe the street legal cars have to be driven from it's address of origin but competition cars may show up on trailers but you have to prove it's a competition car, not some stupid sheep in wolf clothing like my X. This of course totally gets in the way of a "car show" where you just bring your car, however you got it there, so we can look at it.

Possibly I was looking at a one time deal at a Freakout, but they had an autocross that was only for "sreet legal/insured cars driven to the autocross site". This has been a while, maybe not the norm. Do they still have autocrosses at Freakouts?

I have been on the other side too. When Vintage Races were being run in Virginia Beach, my wife and I drove my rather tatty 250 GTE from Richmond with my son and his girlfriend in another car "just in case". When I pulled up to pay and go to spectator parking I was told that if I wanted to put the car in the display area we could get in for free. In addition my son and his girlfriend parked their car, junped into the back of the GTE and all four of of us got in for free.

Rats, I wish I had seen this earlier... @carl, I had this issue with my Alfa Spider and told them it was "period correct" and they let me in... Your idea of bring the Faza book would have worked to prove it was period correct...

Success!

IMG_1199[1].JPG

It helps that the guy at the gate who let me in was in fact a DCfiats member in good standing. He would have let me in if I showed up in the Lunar Lander. And yes I would have tried the "period correct" mods approach if need be....I did turn off my LED daytime running lights. He did say a 32 Ford highboy roadster was turned away, a shame for sure. Maybe we need a show where stock cars are not allowed.

By the way a good friend of mine showed up in his real Stradale, apparently one of only three in the US.

IMG_1200[1].JPG

Weather was perfect and the icing on the cake was, because I had to leave early, I had to snake through the crowd and made all the Ferrari folks move their folding chairs out of the way to let me pass.

when the Ferrari guys noticed Carl's scam appearance, they threw him off the show field.
I thought you were going to say, "when the Ferrari guys saw Carl's car coming, they ran with their folding chairs to avoid getting them dirty." :p

Maybe we need a show where stock cars are not allowed.
Now that's my kind of show. And they do exist, usually called a "custom car show". However it's not that stock cars aren't allowed, but that owners of stock cars think these show's are too beneath them to bring their pristine baby. Funny thing is, it's the other way around! :rolleyes:

The Ferrari people were very polite and made no issue about moving their chairs and wine cooler boxes. Their kids seemed more intrigued with my car then their parents cars.

With an 850, Dave only needs a friend to help him pick up his car and carry it off the show field if need be.

Back