Barn find 850 spider in SE MI

khnitz

True Classic
This is in the town where I live, so I can look it over if someone is interested.
Screenshot_20221124-173321_Facebook.jpg

I'll be going to look it over tomorrow. Sounds like the guy really just wants it out of his way.

In particular, I'll be looking for how extensive any rust on the bottom may be. My wife will not be thrilled if he gives me a price I can't ignore :rolleyes:

Anyone wanna go halvsies? :D

I have a cousin who would absolutely LOVE this, but it really wouldn't work out. She's not in a position to fix it up.
Her first car was a blue 850 Spider, in the 70's. She just knew that she was the coolest girl in Oklahoma when she was driving it. Still misses it.

I'll be going to look it over tomorrow. Sounds like the guy really just wants it out of his way.

In particular, I'll be looking for how extensive any rust on the bottom may be. My wife will not be thrilled if he gives me a price I can't ignore :rolleyes:

They never are, wifes usually just can't appreciate old Italian steel.

Half of that car and half of mine…Hmmmm….
Seriously though, if you do get it and it is not worth fixing, I would love to buy that luggage rack.

I went to look at it and it is definitely a parts car. Everything looks to be there, but so are the leftovers from mice, etc. The battery tray has been replaced with a pop-riveted-in-place solution. The car was definitely repainted at some point (hey, Earl Scheib was all the rage in the late 70's! ;) ) - the original color may have been yellow. The engine cover and hood look to be solid, but the engine was partially disassembled for some sort of repair (the timing chain was visible) - it has been sitting since the early 80's. Oh, and the bitchin' graphics are decals. I wasn't able to get a detailed look at the undercarriage, but based on how it was sitting I don't think this one will be back on the road (unless you're @Daniel Gibson :) ).

So we got to talking price and we settled on something I can live with. I'm arranging to have it flatbed towed to my place (thankfully, it's only about 6 miles away) - EDIT: forget the tow! It will run about double what it would cost to rent a U-haul car hauler, so I'll just get it with my truck and the uhaul trailer.

So...if anyone needs some parts, I will have more inventory soon :D. I know I'll be keeping the top (I only need the canvas), the passenger door main window glass, the door cards, and the engine air filter housing. I do prefer the earlier-style bumpers, too...but I hate to break from the originality of my '73.

Last edited:
I picked it up for $500 today. I'll take some more pictures tomorrow, especially of the - I'll call it a "T-brace" - that was rigged to provide some semblance of connection between the front and rear of the car after the bottom rotted out. There is no "X-brace" on this Spider whatsoever - it's long gone. We put the wheels from my Spider on it to move it easier, since they could at least hold air - it rolled easily enough on those. I used a Harbor Freight 120V electric winch to pull it onto the trailer, though we could have pushed it on there in a cinch, too. Using the winch allowed us to be more precise with the steering and positioning of the Spider onto the trailer, as the wheel track is just wide enough to fit to the ramps and the platforms on each side.
20221203_165448.jpg
20221203_165454.jpg

I like the look of the wood interior trim and steering wheel better than the brushed aluminum look on my 73. The steering wheel, at a minimum, will get cleaned up and moved over to mine. The center console is interesting, too, though I don't think I'll use it on mine. If I transfer the passenger side wood panel and instrument cluster panel, then I'll probably come up with some sort of hideaway headunit to use in mine for some basic tunes, instead. The black door cards in this one are in good shape, too, so those will likely make the move over to mine.
20221203_165501.jpg

Here's a picture of my 850 on the lift so I could get the wheels off :)
20221203_200040.jpg

I noticed that my muffler has a hole in it...and there are signs of a mouse nest having been built in there, too. Well, one more thing to tackle before putting it back on the road! Thankfully, I have a few spares - though one of those sport exhausts I see on here from time-to-time might be nice!

Got it unloaded this morning - the electric winch came in handy for that...
20221204_111307.jpg

Here are those images of the "T-bracing" that was created for this Spider. Very sketch...
20221204_113500.jpg

20221204_114727.jpg

I have it up on jackstands and under a cover now. I'll go to it for parts as I get my 73 going...
20221204_120112.jpg

BTW, upon closer examination, the decals are of a Spider, I think. Pretty cool, but it's no Pontiac Fire Chicken :)
20221204_120705.jpg

I did notice the shocks in the front...they actually are a metallic red - any ideas on the make or where I should look on them to try and identify them?
20221204_120626.jpg

I did clean all the rodent nest stuff out of the frunk. The hood actually looks to be in good shape, as does the engine cover, cowl, cover over the gas tank, top lid and rear panel. I will take a closer look at the doors later, to make sure there aren't any bondo repairs at the bottoms, but at first glance they look OK. The front fenders and rear quarter panels are rough, though, and there is no floor.

Last edited:
That floor structure is one for the record books. That is one way to tie the suspension together.

Why didn’t I think of that kind of frame? If and when parts come off, I could use an uncracked crash pad and that luggage rack!

@Daniel Gibson - help me out...crashpad? Do you mean the dashboard/instrument panel top? If so, this one is cracked, too. The luggage rack seems to be a popular item - I'm not planning on using it on mine (I don't want to drill holes in my engine lid to fit it), but I could always paint this lid the green to match mine and fit it that way, too. Hmmm...

The first thing, though, is to get my 73 running 😊

The T-Frame would be available right away, though 🤣

I made a quick additional check of some items this evening...the VIN plate is missing in the engine bay (the two screws to hold it are there, though), and the lower engine/cooling shrouds are missing. Any idea on other locations to find a VIN? I'm thinking this is a 71 or 70, based on the bumpers? Did only the 72 and 73 have the weird interconnect bar between the bumper halves?

I could use the bumper protectors if this is a 70, mine are trashed. Also the hood and top frame… have to be better than mine… are the rear lenses the same?

I’m kinda late to the game, about 4 months…

Attachments

• 1CA7244D-1686-4779-AB3D-1D44B05B92C2.jpeg
    1CA7244D-1686-4779-AB3D-1D44B05B92C2.jpeg
    387.1 KB · Views: 57
  • 4292AF85-8034-4982-A315-76A40B8D15D5.jpeg
    4292AF85-8034-4982-A315-76A40B8D15D5.jpeg
    351.7 KB · Views: 57
  • 07222098-73EA-44B4-82AF-5A32BF035FA4.jpeg
    07222098-73EA-44B4-82AF-5A32BF035FA4.jpeg
    508.8 KB · Views: 51
  • 546C6935-8467-411B-B0BF-98F53F3AF96B.jpeg
    546C6935-8467-411B-B0BF-98F53F3AF96B.jpeg
    366.9 KB · Views: 58
  • 767BFEE9-AAEF-4B28-8A56-A8C4C346C571.jpeg
    767BFEE9-AAEF-4B28-8A56-A8C4C346C571.jpeg
    351 KB · Views: 54
  • EFF46535-CBC0-4CC9-9485-1765F8C4A403.jpeg
    EFF46535-CBC0-4CC9-9485-1765F8C4A403.jpeg
    417.7 KB · Views: 55
We've been messaging via FB already, so we can follow up there. I haven't removed anything from the parts car, yet, as I need to get my '73 going. I know I won't need the hood, though.

Back