Battery lawn mower? No Car Content

carl

True Classic
Thinking of ditching my 20" gas mower (which needs repairs anyway) and getting a battery powered push mower but have no experience with them. So I figured I'd see if any of you have experience with them.

Let's not make a thread on this, just private message me with actual experiences.

No joke, this is what we had when I was a kid:
download.jpg

Jeff, just shows how old you really are, I was introduced to our same mower when I was a kid.
Thanks, Jon for the useful input.

I didn't even realize we had an NFC section here.

My brother and my Dad both have the Ryobi 20" and love it. I on the other hand have a 56" AWD Diesel lawn mower and it still takes to long... Maybe I have to much grass.

Pretty sure he was referring to just you....I have been called worse, by my own daughters.

Another thread gone to hell....oddly enough, caused by the same trouble makers that usually do that.

I grew up using a corded electric mower. It always started and with a little presence of mind one didn’t run over the cord. My yard is a bit too large to use one now otherwise I would have one now.

I find batteries frustrating as they lose capacity over time and cost a surprising amount to replace, like just buy another mower cost.

My current mower is a relatively cheap MTD and is going on a decade of use, it replaced a similar unit that lasted 15 years. Neither needed any maintenance beyond an air filter, eventually a new blade and a blade holder (on the new one).

I care for the environment as well and now also have a Fiskars push mower which does a great job, is only a little more work to push than the gas mower. As long as I don’t let a couple of weird weeds get too tall, it does a great job and is nearly silent. I now use the gas mower mainly in the fall to gather and chop up leaves prior to mulching them in the woods.

AC9BA73B-1DA5-4977-915C-BE42A4FA84E5.jpeg

I grew up using a corded electric mower.

If your mowing situation does not exceed the length of a suitable extension cord, then I think they are a vastly underrated option.

In fact now that I think about it, the guy across the street still uses an ancient orange Black and Decker corded electric mower to cut his grass. If I had to guess I would say he might have 700-750 sq. feet of lawn.

Last edited:
Back