Battery lawn mower? No Car Content

Discussion in 'NFC Forum' started by carl, Mar 13, 2019.

1. carl

carl True Classic

Thinking of ditching my 20" gas mower (which needs repairs anyway) and getting a battery powered push mower but have no experience with them. So I figured I'd see if any of you have experience with them.

Let's not make a thread on this, just private message me with actual experiences.

2. Dr.Jeff

Dr.Jeff True Classic

No joke, this is what we had when I was a kid:
    download.jpg

Jefco likes this.
  3. kd7gab

kd7gab Daily Driver

I have the 80v Kobalt mower and have been very happy with it...

4. carl

carl True Classic

Jeff, just shows how old you really are, I was introduced to our same mower when I was a kid.
    Thanks, Jon for the useful input.

I didn't even realize we had an NFC section here.

5. JimD

JimD Waiting for Godot... Moderator

One word: goats

kmead likes this.
  6. bpimm

bpimm Brian Pimm

My brother and my Dad both have the Ryobi 20" and love it. I on the other hand have a 56" AWD Diesel lawn mower and it still takes to long... Maybe I have to much grass.

7. Dr.Jeff

Dr.Jeff True Classic

Carl, Jim just called you and me goats!

8. carl

carl True Classic

Pretty sure he was referring to just you....I have been called worse, by my own daughters.

9. Dr.Jeff

Dr.Jeff True Classic

Baaaah.

10. carl

carl True Classic

Another thread gone to hell....oddly enough, caused by the same trouble makers that usually do that.

11. kmead

kmead Old enough to know better

I grew up using a corded electric mower. It always started and with a little presence of mind one didn’t run over the cord. My yard is a bit too large to use one now otherwise I would have one now.

I find batteries frustrating as they lose capacity over time and cost a surprising amount to replace, like just buy another mower cost.

My current mower is a relatively cheap MTD and is going on a decade of use, it replaced a similar unit that lasted 15 years. Neither needed any maintenance beyond an air filter, eventually a new blade and a blade holder (on the new one).

I care for the environment as well and now also have a Fiskars push mower which does a great job, is only a little more work to push than the gas mower. As long as I don’t let a couple of weird weeds get too tall, it does a great job and is nearly silent. I now use the gas mower mainly in the fall to gather and chop up leaves prior to mulching them in the woods.

AC9BA73B-1DA5-4977-915C-BE42A4FA84E5.jpeg

Dan Sarandrea (Phila) likes this.
  12. carl

carl True Classic

Then again, goats are environmentally friendly and will even eat poison ivy.

13. Jefco

Jefco Low Polar Moment

And can be a source of milk.

14. bbrown

bbrown Bob Brown Moderator

Then there's always your neighbor's kids... It's summer, they need the money too! :)

15. Dan Sarandrea (Phila)

Dan Sarandrea (Phila) Waitin' On Parts...

If your mowing situation does not exceed the length of a suitable extension cord, then I think they are a vastly underrated option.

In fact now that I think about it, the guy across the street still uses an ancient orange Black and Decker corded electric mower to cut his grass. If I had to guess I would say he might have 700-750 sq. feet of lawn.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
    kmead likes this.
  16. toddr124

toddr124 Hagerstown, MD

Plus they will fertilize the lawn for you.