BC coilovers extreme lows to BAGS

LowLSPho30

Low Mileage
Good morning/afternoon.

I have a set of BC COILOVERS DS SERIES EXTREME LOWS. I was wondering is it still possible for me to convert it to bags?

I figured since i already have coils I minus will just upgrade them to bags instead of swift springs.

Attachments

• 20211008_142619.jpg
    20211008_142619.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 83
Pretty much any coilover can be converted to bags (air springs) instead of traditional wire-wound springs. However they require a specific type of bags to do it; it must be sealed (air tight) on the inside as well as the outside (regular bags are not). Some coilovers may require a little more modification than others, but the significant factor isn't the coilovers...it is the vehicle they are going on. For example the strut towers on the X are quite narrow. The bags made to use on coilovers are way too wide to fit. Therefore your limitation isn't if the coilovers are extreme lows, or what brand, etc....it's finding the right bags. Unfortunately there aren't any universal bags (for coilovers) currently available that will fit inside the X's strut towers, without modifying the towers significantly.

However there are two other options. The first one won't help you any - there are coilovers specifically designed for air bags and come already assembled with the correct style bags for it. And they are available with a narrow bag, and made to fit the X application (which is shocking considering the low demand for it). The price is pretty reasonable considering everything. But that means buying another set of coilovers. The second option is to have custom bags made specifically for your particular coilovers that include sealed ends and narrow bags. They will be a one-off custom item to fit your exact needs. Needless to say this is rather expensive and takes considerable time to have done.

Sadly I think the short answer for your question is no. Unless you want to go back to my earlier comment and significantly modify the X's strut towers. That basically means making new towers for all four corners that are larger diameter.

To add a little information to my last post.

I love air suspensions and have made them for several of my vehicles. Therefore I've considered it for the X many times. A few years ago I located a company in China that would make the custom fit bags specifically for my coilovers at a reasonable price (roughly $500 for four). However former president Trump ruined that with the China tariffs, followed by the recession he spurred, COVID, and then further changes to the economy. To have the same bags made now will cost about $2000+.

My next consideration was to have my bag supplier make me a set of custom coilovers (with bags) to fit the X. At that time no one offered them for the X so going custom built was the only option. However the estimate to do it was also about $2000 (at my wholesale price). I'm sure that has also gone up since then.

Then later on I found a company that offered premade coilovers with air bags to fit the X. I was shocked. They weren't exactly top of the line units but the price for a set of four was about $1500. Better than the other options. Unfortunately a couple months later the company went under. I guess no surprise considering they were making units for cars with no real demand.

Just recently I've found another company that makes them specifically for the X. These are a little better quality items than the former ones I just described. And the price is about $1300 for a full set. Currently that is the best option to put air on the X.

But keep in mind all of these are only the coilovers/bags. You still need to buy the compressors, tanks, valves, management, hoses, fittings, etc. So it gets pretty expensive....likely more than a X is worth honestly.

Just recently I've found another company that makes them specifically for the X. These are a little better quality items than the former ones I just described. And the price is about $1300 for a full set. Currently that is the best option to put air on the X.
Who makes these?
But keep in mind all of these are only the coilovers/bags. You still need to buy the compressors, tanks, valves, management, hoses, fittings, etc. So it gets pretty expensive....likely more than a X is worth honestly.
For a stock X, probably so. Might be worthwhile on a restomod with a K-swap.

Ahhh, now I see the pic that was posted (post #3). It did not show up the first time I read the earlier posts, so I didn't see what specific strut he was talking about. Ya, that's not a X strut. And frankly it doesn't appear to be much of a "ultra low" one either...regardless of the application. Perhaps the original poster is confused?

Ahhh, that explains things. You have a car that's different from this forum's specialty....Fiat's in general and the X1/9 specifically. Unfortunately we typically discuss the X1/9 and may not be able to offer you much feedback for your specific car. However some of what I said about air bags on coilovers might still apply? Not sure because sadly I do not know anything about your car.

Let's see a picture

orry for the inconvenience I thought this was a coilover and bag site so I posted this thread hoping I can get some good information about doing a bag swap for my coils. Once again I am truly sorry for the inconvenience. If possible can you please delete this thread?

Thank you

No worries. Thanks for being kind about it. Come back if you ever find yourself with a Fiat. :p:D

Let me know if you find a good air bag / coilover site.

Back