Be ware of reverse rotation dizzy caps

carl

True Classic
Spent a busy week trying to get my rebuilt motor to start with no luck. Turns out, the distributor cap, which had numbered plug spigots, was in reverse firing order. I don't know if some vehicles that also use this cap rotate the dizzy in the opposite direction but when you install a new cap, make sure your wires are plugged into the cap in the correct rotation order and don't blindly go by the numbers stamped on the cap....you can save yourself a week trying to figure out why your X won't run.

The only reason I discovered this is because I have another running X parked next to it and I did some comparisons on various components.

May the Force be with you

Odd, most Fiats that I can think of have a CW rotation of the distributor rotor, regardless of the engine rotation.

Odd, most Fiats that I can think of have a CW rotation of the distributor rotor, regardless of the engine rotation.
The later distributor we had in the UK for '88 on carb cars used to have the caps numbered but now don't - I think the same cap is shared by the Panda of the time and has now been harmonized by the part guys as the Panda has a cam mounted distributor so goes the other direction!

Ah, yes. Some of the USA-model Stradas had the cam-mounted distributor. Perhaps that's what Carl's odd cap was for/from.

Well, carl was real happy to get the motor finally running....then very sad to see motor oil dripping onto the floor from the bottom engine mount area. So now the motor/trans must come out yet again to find the leak.

Back