Beer tap shifter...

Discussion in 'Discussion Forum' started by wrxdrew, Mar 8, 2010.

1. wrxdrew

wrxdrew 1300cc's of Angry Bees

Anybody actually ever use one as beer tap... photos?

2. Michael Wilkens

Michael Wilkens Low Mileage

That's awesome, never thought of doing that...and I do have one floating around...

3. Mark

Mark FIATFREAK

That would definitely be a better use for it. What were they thinking.

kmead likes this.
  4. TonyK

TonyK True Classic

I got rid of mine when the car was sitting in the dealer show room in 1979. I went over to wrecked 128 and took the shifter ball from it and installed it in the car and it has been there ever since, yes it only shows 4 speeds forward as well.

TonyK.
    Grimsby Ontario Canada.

kmead likes this.
  5. Rodger

Rodger True Classic

I know that everyone makes fun of it, but I always liked it and plan to keep using it as Nuccio intended.

6. Mark

Mark FIATFREAK

Were these on the ‘79 - ‘82 models? I had an ‘81 & ‘82, but the only pictures I have show a ball shift knob. I probably swapped them out.

7. Rodger

Rodger True Classic

'79 was the first year for the beer tap. My '81 also had it.

8. LarryC

LarryC LarryC-Albuquerque

Man, you guys are hard customers. Happily using mine to this day.
    P3111336.JPG P3111335.JPG

Rodger likes this.
  9. Mark

Mark FIATFREAK

Sorry, off topic. I’ve been playing around with different shift knobs and steering wheels. I’ve always like the simple ball knob as it fits in the palm of the hand. But this cheapie handle style really works well on my ‘85
    27208124-6DA6-4A58-BCD1-8859976828FD.jpeg
    Bought a couple of these aluminum ball shift knobs that I really like too:
    FAD749D6-AC52-4056-A279-E4671CD11F0F.jpeg
    30F98007-C0CC-419A-A429-15E02A2F5848.jpeg

10. Dr.Jeff

Dr.Jeff True Classic

Let's think about that...
    I understand the English like to drink their beer warm. And as we all know that's because their refrigerators are made by Lucas.
    Going from that example.
    I guess the reason Italians like to drink wine is because their beer tap handles are actually Fiat X1/9 shift handles, and therefore they broke off - preventing them from drinking beer.
    It all makes sense.

11. kmead

kmead True Classic

Wow that was rough.

I hate with a passion the beer tap handle. I, like Tony, have replaced them with the plain spherical ball from a 124 (some of which have the correct 5 speed pattern).

It is the right size for your thumb and index finger to wrap around to shift, two fingers only as one should to keep the transmission in good shape. Anything more than the two fingers and you are likely shifting a different kind of stick altogether or imparting too much force and speed to the shifter, likely beating your syncros or causing other damage.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2018
  12. Daniel Forest

Daniel Forest True Classic

It could have been worst...
    [​IMG]

And to follow the thread subject:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

and since halloween was last week

[​IMG]

Dr.Jeff likes this.
  13. LarryC

LarryC LarryC-Albuquerque

Wimps!

14. Greg (in Conn)

Greg (in Conn) X driver- Bertone curator

Gandini futuristic supercar period.
    revised from the 1978 Lancia Sibilo concept.
    Unique history.
    Anyone can rock the ball.:D

[​IMG]

Dr.Jeff likes this.
  15. Dr.Jeff

Dr.Jeff True Classic

I wholly admit that I love the "futuristic supercar period". There were many great design/style exercises from that era...on production as well as concept vehicles. And the X certainly reflects some of those design features.

That being said, the "tap handle" shifter on the X isn't one of my favorites. If the overall length of the shift lever was short, as it is in the example pictured above by Greg, then yes. But not sticking up so far and being so obvious - the proportion just does not work for me. For a long stick like the X has, a smaller and less obvious knob fits better (aka the classic early Ferrari style). Perhaps if you could modify the console height and shifter boot shape to make the lever seem effectively much shorter, then it might look better with the "pub beer dispensary handle".

On the other hand, if it actually poured you a fresh cold beer while you were enjoying your drive, then yes by all means - give me two of them (I may want a different variety at times)! [just joking, I certainly do not endorse driving under the influence - I've worked on way too many victims that did]

kmead likes this.