Bertone Badges from Henk Martens

lookforjoe

True Classic
I bought a pair of the new badges from Henk. They look great at a glance, the emblem is very good. The border though is 3D printed, and not finished cleanly. I have emailed him, in case I just got a bad pair

PXL_20220912_225654862.jpg

PXL_20220912_225613956.jpg

PXL_20220912_225631963.jpg

PXL_20220912_225654862-2.jpg

PXL_20220912_225732149.jpg

PXL_20220912_225736637.jpg

I certainly don't mean to dogpile on the vendor, they are a great company. But I have to agree the finish on those bases is not up to the price point for the part.

Hello X 1/9 friends

Unfortunately Hussein received not the correct Bertone emblems as we have a very high standard on the quality of all our products/parts. I will send another set as we want all our clients to be 100% happy with our parts. This set escaped on my control but we have solved the "problem"
This picture shows our new Bertone badge and the quality it has

with kind regards,

Henk Martens

Any info on what material they are? Depending on material, acetone vapor bath can probably get the finish very close to factory. Although, if the replacement badge can also not be disassembled without damage that may be a moot point considering the acetone vapor would probably have a negative effect on the (excellent) looking Bertone emblem. There is an effect on the dimensional accuracy, but provided the center emblem fits properly, it shouldn't be impactful provided the bath is done correctly with air circulation.

For those unfamiliar, here's an example of a before-after :
w27o3a8vp7361.jpg

Last edited:
Any info on what material they are? Depending on material, acetone vapor bath can probably get the finish very close to factory. Although, if the replacement badge can also not be disassembled without damage that may be a moot point considering the acetone vapor would probably have a negative effect on the (excellent) looking Bertone emblem. There is an effect on the dimensional accuracy, but provided the center emblem fits properly, I shouldn't be impactful provided the bath is done correctly with air circulation.

For those unfamiliar, here's an example of a before-after :
That looks great - but the emblems are securely glued into the 3D printer crap

That looks great - but the emblems are securely glued into the 3D printer crap

Somewhat expected, so I guess it's up to the vendor to do that process beforehand if chasing an OEM look.

I will say though, in your original post, the part was definitely defective as Henk said - under extrusion and holes in the printed piece. Could be any number of freak factors to cause that, so glad to hear that's sorted.

In Ng Randolph's, the print quality looks absolutely fantastic- but as with any FDM printed part, angles close to horizontal will always be very obvious. The strange looking top and bottom points aren't a defect in that case, more of a shortcoming of 3D printing. Technically theres methods to help alleviate that, but there's usually going to be a blemish somewhere.

But in terms of getting a factory finish, vapor bath is definitely the way to go- it would probably bring the bezel to OEM quality to match the excellent looking emblem.

I received my set today & they look good.I have attached a pic with my old faded OEM emblem. This should wake up the nose!

Attachments

• 20221107_190040.jpg
    20221107_190040.jpg
    251.4 KB · Views: 80
I wouldn’t normally complain openly but seeing some of your pics I can see now that the badge Henk sent me are absolutely horrible and I’m deeply disappointed that I believed something was advertised as “good as or better than original” and the reality was completely opposite!
1B719919-3F95-4D04-93D0-462577413F30.jpeg
CF611E86-4515-43CA-8AC5-C8C64C4F3D94.jpeg

Not only is the frame/base covered in 3D printing layers the actual base isn’t even round with a bulge at the top!

I certainly would expect the vendor to see these and do the correct thing and either offer me a full refund or send me a new badge.

I can tell you this badge will only be going in the bin as that’s all it’s worthy of!

Last edited:
I wouldn’t normally complain openly but seeing some of your pics I can see now that the badge Henk sent me are absolutely horrible and I’m deeply disappointed that I believed something was advertised as “good as or better than original” and the reality was completely opposite!

I certainly would expect the vendor to see these and do the correct thing and either offer me a full refund or send me a new badge.

I can tell you this badge will only be going in the bin as that’s all it’s worthy of!

Email him, Stuart. I would expect he will replace it. It would have been better if they had never shipped in the first place, however he did replace both of mine, but I had to reach out to initiate it.

I do have a Bertone badge with dashes instead of circles.
And it looks like the pitch beween the 2 pins at the backside is smaller than the ones for the X1/9.

Does someone know for which car this was? (Supercabrio, Freeclimber,…)?

268850D8-387D-49A9-B241-15FC94B2C68E.jpeg
30493B92-68EA-4190-9EFB-E85AF966775E.jpeg

Back