Best 185/60/13s currently available?

I'm surprised Coker doesn't offer a 185/60/13 - although, I bet these aren't very popular at all in North America any longer.

Ha......any longer ??? They never were !!! I think - as far as I know - that some later Bertone X1/9s were the ONLY vehicles delivered in USA or Canada with this size of tire. Thus...why would tire companies bring this size into this market ?

The only savior for us is that this size was supplied on some 90's Ford Fiestas in the UK and Europe. And on a couple of old JDM models of Mazda or Subaru. As the survival rate of those cars dwindle....so will the supply of that size. But this at least does mean tires of this size can be privately imported - usually at a hefty expense - from UK or Europe

The only other possibility - which I have raised before but nobody down in the southern USA seemed interested enough to pursue - is that strangely - this size tire IS still readily available in Mexico - and in some very nice tires. Must have been an OE fitment on some Mexican market VW Polo or something. ......

It would be nice to let Longstone know that these fit our Fiat X1/9s! Would be nice if they can update their site with this fitment (my logic is that if they sell enough to support these, there will be future availability for them... or so I hope!)

I'm surprised Coker doesn't offer a 185/60/13 - although, I bet these aren't very popular at all in North America any longer.
I did that yesterday, emailed Simon @ Longstone to confirm arrival, and noted fellow X members are buying. Interesting to note Michelin makes these for front drive cars in Europe.

Dont sweat it Agnelli. You should have nothing to worry about.....

Mounting those new tires on already bare wheels is very simple. Any shop with a tire machine from the last 30 years...as long as they take a little care..can easily mount them without damage. Any decent tire machine - properly adjusted for the wheel - has ZERO metal-to-metal contact with the wheel. And will cause no damage at all.

I have a tire machine...and have mounted 100's of tires. In fact....with lots of good tire lube...I'd be able to mount them with hand pressure alone.

Just find a shop...any shop.... preferably not with a first-day-on-the-job kid manning the tire machine. ...that is willing to take some care with them...and you will be fine.

I would though suggest..I always do....that BEFORE mounting the tires....that you ask them to spin up the bare wheel on their balancer. To check for sure the wheels are straight. Just watch it spin. and it should come up all zeros.
RX1900 - you'll like how this turned out. Rather than a long drive over to one of the fancier shops, I wound up at one five minutes away run by two LatinX gents who absolutely crush it. One mounts / dismounts wheels with simple floor jacks while the other installs and balances tires. I showed them the rims and said, can you mount these without bending...guy says easy no problem. $25 ea. done in less than half an hour. So far I've got the rears on, added a single hub spacers, the 13x7 Panasports that came off the car are wide, ran no spacers before. Next step I'll do the front wheels, and at the same time bleed the front brakes and check pad wear. Now I just have to remember not to go into Turn 1 to hard on greasy new rubber.

Tony.JPG
PE2.JPG
mount.JPG

Not sure if I should start another thread, but I found a few other options, besides the Federal's ( which seem harder to come by than they were last year).
One is the Atlas HP in a 185/60-13 and the other is a Accelera Alpha.
This is also interesting....

Any thoughts?

This is also interesting...

Yep - I looked into getting these. Petlas is well known as a Turkish tractor tire manufacturer. That's all I needed to know. :)

It's a sports car, which in my opinion will be horrible to drive with average to below average tires. (OK - I felt I should edit this, everyone has a budget... especially me! - so, you buy what works for you of course. But, tires is the single easiest performance upgrade that you can make! Either way, it's nice to have options!)

Last edited:
Just placed my order with Longstone. I decided to go with 175/65-13 size as my car is bone stock and this is closer in diameter to the original 165/70s. Also less expensive then the 185s. Shipping to Toronto, Canada, will post once they arrive!

Just placed my order with Longstone. I decided to go with 175/65-13 size as my car is bone stock and this is closer in diameter to the original 165/70s. Also less expensive then the 185s. Shipping to Toronto, Canada, will post once they arrive!
Echo Myron's note.

One thing to know: Pilot Exalto PE2s are asymmetric. Meaning there is an explicit inside and outside. I pointed this out to my installers and they got it right.

Interestingly, on the wheels that came off the car, the 'fancier' installer who had previously mounted the Michelin Defenders got that wrong on at least one of the wheels.

So I'd encourage all to communicate with your installer and check the outcome yourselves before departing the installation shop.

First long run today on the Pilot Exaltos. Quiet and supple right out of the box (unlike my Mich Defenders, which took time to become comfortable). Great turn in, though I have not driven a proper curvy road, intent to day was first break in mainly freeway. Happy.

More later.

Just came across these Pirelli CN36 tires, I think I had these back in the day. on my '74 X ..... 175/70-13,,,,,
Right now I have a Sunitomo 185/60-13 on my 850 that are OLD. Was planning to go with the 185/60-13, but not much out there. The Michelin seems like the best option. It looks like the Federals are not available anywhere, and can't get info on the Atlas.....

Just came across these Pirelli CN36 tires, I think I had these back in the day. on my '74 X ..... 175/70-13,,,,,
Right now I have a Sunitomo 185/60-13 on my 850 that are OLD. Was planning to go with the 185/60-13, but not much out there. The Michelin seems like the best option. It looks like the Federals are not available anywhere, and can't get info on the Atlas.....

I bought some 185/70-13 CN36 tires in 1975. They worked great and I used them until 60 series tires started hitting the market. A few years ago, Pirelli started making them again for vintage cars. They say they are now making them with modern processes and materials. If there are no great candidates to replace my tires with when they wear out, I may consider going back to them. They fill the wheel wells much better than 185/60-13s do and despite a small height increase, I'm sure they would handle better than some of the crap tires out there now.

Some Alfa Spider guys absolutely swear by the CN36s.

I mostly swore at mine when I had them, I had a Dolomite Sprint as noted on the Longstone page fitted with CN36, they where awful when it was wet.

Placed my order. Thanks to Jim for being the guinea pig!
I can't stand cheap tires and the though of replacing my worn-out-and-now-horrifically-dangerous-in-the-rain Yokohamas with an inferior tire was depressing.

Wow there is a 185/60 13 whitewall option.. 👀

View attachment 45622
I think the white wall look great on a x1/9................. well maybe not.....
Curious where the Atlas tire is made and how they "look" , also ran across these today. wonder where they are made

Never even heard of these companies..............

Back