Best 185/60/13s currently available?

Had them for a season when I bought the car with Gran Finale rims.
They worked well on the road if not driving very hard. Good wet grip, soft and silent. However, they do not perform at all on a twisted track.
Good choice if you're looking for comfort. If you are looking for performance, not so much.

I have them on my 406 coupe, and I'm pretty happy. That said, this is in 215/55 R16 on a much bigger and heavier car which spends more time on the autobahn than twisty roads so I can't comment on performance applications, so I'd defer to @Bjorn Nilson comments for applicability to an X.

Departed UK on Monday and at my door Friday afternoon.
DHL should come back to the US for some domestic help.
Curious - were they delivered right to your door by DHL? I just got a set of rims from Germany and they were shipped DHL. They got handed off to Canada Post for delivery. The DHL tracking and delivery speed is great but I couldn't tell on the Canada Post tracking where it was or when it would arrive. A couple of days after it showed that it was in the Canada Post system, it arrived. I didn't have to pay VAT tax and I didn't get dinged for duty or taxes at my end. When it comes time to get a set of 185/60/13 tires, I'll get them from Europe or the UK.

Curious - were they delivered right to your door by DHL? I just got a set of rims from Germany and they were shipped DHL. They got handed off to Canada Post for delivery. The DHL tracking and delivery speed is great but I couldn't tell on the Canada Post tracking where it was or when it would arrive. A couple of days after it showed that it was in the Canada Post system, it arrived. I didn't have to pay VAT tax and I didn't get dinged for duty or taxes at my end. When it comes time to get a set of 185/60/13 tires, I'll get them from Europe or the UK.
Yes mine does show DHL delivery timeline throughout with 5 days in transit.
There is a DHL distribution hub close to my location but I wasn’t home for the delivery. (waived sig need)
When they drop it off the courier takes a photo of the item left at the door as proof of delivery.

But not uncommon for what you describe as I’ve had overseas packages handed off to the USPS and the secondary tracking number is usually provided.

Been throwing the X into some sweepers with vigor. Michelin Pilot Exaltos are proving good.
orange X.JPG

Ordered mine yesterday! Suppose to arrive the 10th. Now that the car is driveable it's been hard to not push the car on it's old crusty tires. Looking forward to having fresh rubber.

Ryan

I saw some people recommending A008's. Those have only been available as 10" diameter for many years now... Classic Mini and Honda 600's.. Hard to believe no one's mentioned the Toyo RA-1's. Best of all worlds. Super sticky, lasts a long time, never heat cycles, looks good, great in the rain.... wouldn't use them in the snow, but other than that... used to be available in 185 60R13, but I think it's only 205 60 R13 now.
EDIT:
I looked up those Advan Type D's.. They are indeed using the old A008 tread pattern, so I guess I was wrong, they are available again in 13,14, and 15"!

Last edited:
Just for reference! 185/60R13 next to a 225/45R13 of the same tire..((Toyo R888)

Attachments

• IMG_20171118_152408492_HDR~2.jpg
    IMG_20171118_152408492_HDR~2.jpg
    332.8 KB · Views: 99
I got my Michelin’s a few days ago. Then found some MSW basket weave wheels to put them on. The wheels came with old tires and we’re set up with 205/60 13 on the rears. Kind of like the way the 205s look. Has anyone considered these?
I like the old school tread design.
Glad to hear people are liking their Michelin’s. Just need to get my wheels cleaned up so I can get tires mounted

My X came to me with 13x6 MSW 'basket weaves'; I loved their look, but they weren't very round, and I replaced them as soon as possible.
One showed problems balancing new tires (visible wobble on balancer).
They seemed to be fragile at the flanges; I was given two matching extras that were also unround (dents or flat spots).
Unmount the tires and roll the wheels on a flat floor to see.

Jefco - mine look to be in decent condition. I’ll make sure to check roundness. I have a friend with a tire machine so we’ll work to get them balanced really well.

I got my Michelin’s a few days ago. Then found some MSW basket weave wheels to put them on. The wheels came with old tires and we’re set up with 205/60 13 on the rears. Kind of like the way the 205s look. Has anyone considered these?
I like the old school tread design.
Glad to hear people are liking their Michelin’s. Just need to get my wheels cleaned up so I can get tires mounted
These BFGoodrich tires are tempting. I was ready to go with the Federals. Would there be any clearance issues with 205/60R13s? Is it too much tire for the car?

The x I have has rotted 205/50R13 Toyos on it that you can't get any more.

This how they look on the rear on my car. I think they would work with these wheels. If your car was very low they would probably rub the inner fender.
78C0F5A3-9020-4E19-B9FF-E057D4E4E8EB.jpeg
4A7BF4AA-1196-4072-A8EF-4DAE14D3266F.jpeg

but I’m not really very informed when it comes to these cars. I’m just getting started myself. I don’t know the offset for these wheels either. And I don’t know how they would fit on the front. I do like how they look! And please ignore the missing wheel bolt.

The Michelin Pilot Exalto's are out of stock in 175/65 R13 on Lonstone's site. Looking at other options. . . .

I found a set of Khumo's in 185/70 R13. Any thought on if the sidewall will be too tall and interfere with the fenders when turning/ going over bumps? (Car is not lowered).

I cover this issue at length in my blog @ RMS Motoring Forum / Members Cars / The Ultimate X.
Image Wheels International, Billet 63, 13", 6J, and AVON ZZS 185/55, or 225/45 on 7J.

The Michelin Pilot Exalto's are out of stock in 175/65 R13 on Lonstone's site. Looking at other options. . . .

I found a set of Khumo's in 185/70 R13. Any thought on if the sidewall will be too tall and interfere with the fenders when turning/ going over bumps? (Car is not lowered).
After running 175/70/13's back in the late 80's, 185/70 will be WAY to wide in the front during full lock turning.

After running 175/70/13's back in the late 80's, 185/70 will be WAY to wide in the front during full lock turning.
I ran 185/70s before 60 series were available. I had to fold up the lip in all wheel wells. On the front, the lower front edge was folded in for turning clearance. I was using Pirelli CN36 tires. Worked great!

Last edited:

The 175/65 13s were shown out of stock on the website when I was looking so I emailed to ask when they thought they might have them. He said the site wasn’t updated and that they actually were available. I ordered them that day and they arrived in less than a week in Toronto. Might be worth your while to contact him.

I have 175/70 13’s Pirelli‘ Cinturto’s on my Triumph GT6 from Lucas Tire in Long Beach Ca.i purchased them 2 years ago.
I did try and purchase a set for my x1/9 just recently, but they are out of stock and did not know when they would have them back in stock.
Ron

Back