Best of France and Italy.

Coupefan

True Classic
Looks like it’s on! November 7.
CD49F478-B78F-402C-877B-B8B72ECC6DA4.jpeg

Well if I had a fourth driver I could go in my X1/9, 850 coupe, Giulia Quadrifoglio, and Stelvio TI Sport….

So far this year every major car event (at least the ones I'm familiar with) that has taken place following last year's Covid cancellation have been struggling with low attendance/participation. Seems the ongoing Covid Delta (and other) variants are about as bad (or worse) as the original. Yet the Government has not taken steps to contain it. So it appears that a lot of people are (wisely) staying away from events as a precaution. Any idea what the BFI event response has been yet? Since I'm no longer in SoCal I don't see Tina, so have no idea how things look so far.

Hey Jeff, you know, it could go either way on attendance. Right now, there's a slight air of optimism at the local daily numbers, from those I've had contact (emailed) with. But of course that could change within 7-10 days if a good percentage of people engage in stupid behavior. My cautious take is this: It's outdoors in a very large park, not assigned seating in a stadium, and it's easy to keep a distance from others around you.

Hey Jeff, you know, it could go either way on attendance. Right now, there's a slight air of optimism at the local daily numbers, from those I've had contact (emailed) with. But of course that could change within 7-10 days if a good percentage of people engage in stupid behavior. My cautious take is this: It's outdoors in a very large park, not assigned seating in a stadium, and it's easy to keep a distance from others around you.
Hopefully things will work out for it. Here in Vegas it is getting much worse by the day. Just this morning the third largest convention of the year cancelled its Oct show.

Hopefully things will work out for it. Here in Vegas it is getting much worse by the day. Just this morning the third largest convention of the year cancelled its Oct show.
I'm hoping BoFI is on. I have made that my target show for the first public outing of the current project. Gotta make a goal to get things done. BoFI is a good one. And a great excuse for a road trip.

Ron: I will be happy to travel to Ventura county and help drive the best of Italy to Woodley Park.

I can tell you guys that Monterey Car Week was the quietest I'd ever seen it. So yeah, it wouldn't surprise me it attendance was way down. On the other hand, this is a rather local event, not international like Monterey. So maybe not so much.

John, thanks for the offer. The 1/9 is getting some work done next week. Then my Lancia needs to have a few thing buttoned up. If both are ready in time, then that might work.

We have decided NOT to attend shows this year as a vendor. For us the boff&i show is a full day's drive each way, so we will miss it.
It will be the first time I have missed the show since 2002.

A full report would be appreciated.

I hope it’s not a bust. Too bad about Chris, but I completely understand. I’m supplying three cars cars if it helps get attendance numbers up.

I see Calif is really cracking down on the vaccination issue. Especially in LA county:

It includes outdoor events with 5000 or more attendees. I don't think BFI has that many people, and I'm not sure how they could verify it if there was. But the fact they have began enforcing such rules may deter some people from attending all events for now.

This has become an issue with other major events elsewhere as well. The SEMA show in early November will be heavily hampered by the current regulations in Nevada. As a result the number of registered attendees is way down this year. Some events (like AAPEX, the sister show to SEMA) are even requiring more stringent rules than the law requires as a precaution. That has further dampened their response this year.

Although there are some early signs that the Delta variant is beginning to plateau, it isn't over. Even worse, there has been yet another new mutant strain of the virus beginning to surface. I believe this is the sixth or seventh variant of it and so far it appears to be much worse than the preceding ones. People that should be immune (either from surviving a previous Covid illness or having been fully vaccinated) are not. Sadly the vaccines were developed before any of the mutant strains existed and are proving to be much less effective than hoped. Therefore that may not be the answer, we may have to go back to strict lockdowns until this thing burns itself out.

What does all of that mean for events like BFI? Hopefully people will protect themselves and practice proper protocols to prevent contamination and we can continue to enjoy them.

Back