Best of France & Italy

mbusman

Big Bird
is coming up Sunday Nov. 1st. If you plan to go and haven't registered, go to www.franceanditaly.com where you can either download a registration form or you can register online.

Tommy and I plan to host lunch again. If you received my emails to the SoCal X 1/9 Owners group asking if you plan to attend and haven't responded, please respond to the email or PM here. We need to get an idea of head count so we'll know how much food to bring.

Mike

Should I tow my 124 Special out there???

I have nothing better to do, but I think my wife would frown on the expenditure since I am currently unemployed (I prefer involuntarily retired). :)

One of these days I will make it to BFI.

I have nothing better to do, but I think my wife would frown on the expenditure since I am currently unemployed (I prefer involuntarily retired). :)

One of these days I will make it to BFI.

Put faith in your car and your mechanical abilities by driving the 124 out here. If you decide to, perhaps a crowd fund site for your trip expenses is in order?

It's not the money really

The problem isn't lack of funds, it is where I spend those funds. Something about her going to work everyday while I lounge around the house seems to be bugging her a bit. So heading to SoCal for a "vacation" without her would not be a good idea. :whistle:

There is no way I would get in the 124 and drive to SoCal. I have only had the car running for a few months. There is a lot of stuff that needs attention. I cruise around town without a lot of worry, but STL->SoCal would not be fun. I would be on edge the whole time. That's why I have a hauler.

Jim, it's always the money ...

Case & point:
Jimmy-D runs to the store to get a few items, then takes a chance on a $2 lotto ticket ... and ends up winning $100K.
Jim comes home with the money, decides to take wife out to dinner at a pricey Italian restaurant while they talk about
taking that long trip down under they've been dreaming of. And, oh, BTW, let's have the kitchen remodeled while we're away.
Wife agrees. Wife very happy. Then Jimmy D says,
"Hey, you mind if I take a couple days out in CA to go to BFI with the Fiat?

Hmmm... what's she gonna say? :grin:

If you are going to dream, dream big....

Case & point:
Jimmy-D runs to the store to get a few items, then takes a chance on a $2 lotto ticket ... and ends up winning $100K.
Jim comes home with the money, decides to take wife out to dinner at a pricey Italian restaurant while they talk about
taking that long trip down under they've been dreaming of. And, oh, BTW, let's have the kitchen remodeled while we're away.
Wife agrees. Wife very happy. Then Jimmy D says,
"Hey, you mind if I take a couple days out in CA to go to BFI with the Fiat?

Hmmm... what's she gonna say? :grin:

If you are going to dream, dream big....

At least that's always been my philosophy Bob. $100K is only "f%ck you" money, in my dream I win "f%ck EVERYBODY" money. :devil:

one_dollar_jim.jpg

Sorry for dragging the thread down this tangent. I hope everyone has a great time a BFI. :headbang:

I cruise around town without a lot of worry, but STL->SoCal would not be fun. I would be on edge the whole time. That's why I have a hauler.

Both X's I have now involved buying them 350-550 miles away and driving them back. Both made it back, and both endeared me to the car that much more. That "being on edge" feeling to me is what bonds you to the car.

One of my best road trip vacations involved buying a ratty 1940 Chevy pickup in Idaho and driving it back to So Cal. Getting across the Nevada and Calif deserts required a few antique milk jugs full of water, and we did lose 2 tires along the way, but I wouldn't trade those memories for the world.

Been there, done that

I drove a decent 79 home from Colby, KS back in February 2004. There was snow on the ground and the X had a stuck heater valve, it was stuck shut naturally. Froze my ass off for 12 hours, but otherwise it was uneventful. It was certainly a memorable trip, but it was my last without having a good tow vehicle and a hauler.

Everyone has their idea of fun. We will just have to differ on this particular type of fun. ;)

Multiple Replies

Rob, looking forward to seeing you again. That bottle of Cabernet from the Doffo Winery was excellent.

Bob, good suggestions.

Jim, Bob came out last year and he lives farther away. His wife also told him she didn't really care if he never came back.:excited:

Mike

Bob Turchan has again graciously offered to

host the pancake breakfast at his Pride Auto Body Shop in Van Nuys before BFI. I believe it's the one on Oxnard St. and not too far from Woodley Park.

Tony, Tommy, and I will be working the grill and doing the coffee runs again. Anyone planning to show up early at Bob's shop is more than willing to give us a hand.

Mike

BFI grass condition?

By chance has anyone been to the park lately? I'm curious how bad (or good) the grass (or lack of) now looks. Last year it looked as though they had played a few dozen rounds of polo on it, creating some of the largest bare spots known to mankind.

As Tony N would say ...

Just bring a case of Duplicolor green with you and paint the area around your car.

:nana::)

I think JimD hit the nail on the head when he said: "Something about her going to work everyday while I lounge around the house seems to be bugging her a bit." But its funny how that doesn't work the other way around! I'm sure most of you married guys get my point.

I might be able to make it to BFI. If I do, it will be great to finally meet some of you in person.

Dr. Jeff,

Must be nice to lounge around the house.

Anyway if you can make it, we'll be hosting lunch, be working breakfast at Bob Turchan's shop, and would love to meet you in person. It isn't that "far" from sin city.

Mike

Cesare,

Does it really matter????? A couple of years ago it rained early and it was a mud bowl. Those who brought towels wiped down their cars. Generally it's a dust bowl, and those who brought towels wiped down their cars. Either way we'll need to clean off the cars,

With the current drought conditions, I expect Woodley Park to be a big dust bowl, but who really cares?? It's the big love fest that really matters.

Mike

Grass?

Considering that there will be TWO car shows there in the same venue that weekend, each with a history there & a sizable draw, hopefully the City will have listened to the respective show coordinators' past complaints & have the grass at least in somewhat-decent condition, rather than being a grass-dotted dirt lot/mud hole like the last few years (due to soccer games). :rolleyes:

Or not? :pigsfly: :pigsfly: :pigsfly:

Saturday 10/31 is the SoCal Vintage BMW Meet & Sunday 11/1 is the Best Of France & Italy event.

http://www.socalvintagebmw.com/#!__2015-meet

http://www.franceanditaly.com/

I expect there will be less grass this year

considering the irrigation restrictions that were put in place as a result of the drought.

Mike

Back