Best way to clean aluminum to look like new

bradartigue

True Classic
How does aluminum get cleaned up to look like new? I'm not talking about polishing it - I mean the factory finish, kind of clean but matte? Every time I've had a carburetor rebuilt, or a Bosch aluminum-housed part, what comes back is super clean, looks factory new. Is it media blasted or is it a chemical process or both?

My friend bought an ultrasonic cleaner and discribed the parts he has cleaned in terms you just used... Heat, cleaning solution and the ultrasonic agitation result in a super deep clean right into the smallest passages. I don't think media blast would lead to those characteristics. Ultrasonically cleaned parts should be closest to what you are looking for but it would do nothing for the dings and scratches acquired through use and wrenching. Depending on where you live the effect is short lived. Here on SC coast aluminum turns very quickly.
Regards

Attachments

• 2016-06-13 09.47.19.jpg
    2016-06-13 09.47.19.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
Soda blasting makes it look like new too. (referred to as media blasting) Just specifying the media. :)

Hey Brad , I worked in Aero business for years and the majority of alloy likes of what you are talking about were at least subjected to ( as Mike said) treated by vapour blasting which also leaves a very smooth finish as opposed to other media finishes but that's not a rule of thumb. If these cleaning systems are used obviously in likes of carbs any media can become trapped so then might need ultrasonically cleaned to remove if inaccessible. Catch 22 , Ultrasonic cleaning results are usually down to how good a quality of machine you are using, cheapies wont do it ! If you want a cheap external cleaner stronger than BCE , get some PPE on and use some old battery acid agitate with brush and rinse off ASAP obviously avoid plastics and suchlike. Ive used that method when needs must just be careful and don't wear your best jeans lol.

Vapor blasting is amazeballs! I'd love to have a cabinet to do projects. ACF50 or similar wiped on the raw alloy parts will help keep them pretty if you don't want to paint or clearcoat them.

Back