Blue/Blue '86 Offered at RM Sotheby's in Arizona On 1/17/20

Dan Sarandrea (Phila)

Waitin' On Parts...
https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/az20/arizona/lots/r0136-1986-bertone-x19/841835

Shows well! (Wrong tires, though.)
5c7651f14cb1cc66a35e43dbd60ea9cfa298c000.jpg

(Not mine, no known relation to seller.)

Last edited:
https://www.classic.com/a/rm-sothebys-arizona-2020-knXN1pB/lots/1986-bertone-x19-p07jQ3W/

Only one pic provided by the auction house...shows well! (Wrong tires, though.)
5c7651f14cb1cc66a35e43dbd60ea9cfa298c000.jpg

(Not mine, no known relation to seller.)

Nice car, should be interesting to see what it brings.
Unfortunately, I scrolled down one car to see the Ferrari 250 2+2 Series 2 that is also in the auction.
In 1984 I bought a Series 1 2+2 (2267GT). It was essentially the same as this car with minor differences. The car came with the original engine in boxes. I paid $8500 and had to take out a 21% loan to pay for it.
Kept it for 15 years, drove it for about 5 years and then sold it. Then of course prices shot up like a rocket. That's the way it goes.....

I'll be in Scottsdale for the auctions and I'm happy to inspect this car for anyone serious about bidding. Just drop me a PM with interest.

Since it's very unusual (at least up until now) for an X1/9 to be offered by the "major" auction houses, if your schedule permits, a brief condition report on the car and a "you were there" first person account of the car going across the block would be of interest to many of us here on the forum. Maybe even a smartphone video!

You could put talcum powder in your hair, get a fake bushy mustache and stand on your knees doing your best impression of Wayne Carini shepherding a car thru the auction :D:D;)

Pretty certain the P3s were OE at the time for the Trons. The spare in my ‘85 when I got it in 1993 was a P3/70. P6s were on the next wheel style.

When I looked at the ‘new’ Xs at one of the LA dealers at the time none of the ones with Trons had P6s, all the cars with the last style wheel had the P6s.

Pretty certain the P3s were OE at the time for the Trons. The spare in my ‘85 when I got it in 1993 was a P3/70. P6s were on the next wheel style.

When I looked at the ‘new’ Xs at one of the LA dealers at the time none of the ones with Trons had P6s, all the cars with the last style wheel had the P6s.

I was referring more to the installed size (165/70-13) rather than the make/model of the tire itself. I'd kill for a modern version of the original Pirellis in the correct 185/60-13 size.

This auction was already posted before Xmas.
See Eric's post in this thread about some prior history used in Hawaii.

https://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/1986-bertone-x1-9-rm-sothebys-arizona.38003/

I was mostly off the net during the holidays so missed your previous post.

One thing about this car---the color of the seat fabric. I understand reds are the hardest color for digital photography to reproduce accurately, but the seat fabric was NEVER the color shown. These start out as a deep wine burgundy and then tend toward maroon and then pick up hints of brown as the sun and age fades them. If you believe what is depicted, as they aged they went from burgundy towards red. HA! Much more likely that the person doing the photo editing for the catalog has no idea what the color is, so figured "Blue car? Red fabric!" and went on to the next one.

Actually the size is also correct. The 185/60s were only ever on the multi hole rim of the last generation of cars. 185s never came on the Trons OE.

The copy of the shop manual I have for I think up thru '85 and the owner's manual I have for my June '85 manufactured '86 shows 165/70-13 as the tire size, corroborating the first half of Karl's post. I guess I assumed that since my car had 185/60-13s on it when I got it, that must have been the "correct" tire size.

Does anyone know what this car sold for?

I realized that there was a live stream of the auction a bit too late to see the car go across the block. Started watching at Lot 213, the purple Vector that almost tripled the catalog estimate.

Seems that RM takes their time posting results on their website so patience!

The car hammered at $16,500 plus 12% premium, so a bit over $17k. The only real issue I saw was there was a small amount of clear coat damage on the front right corner.

Thanks for the update. I was wondering what the car was going to sell for. Seems like it got a pretty good value as far as I can see. I know that there are not too many around with that low mileage and in such good original condition and that it would take much more money than that to try and make one that nice that isn't originally that nice to begin with but still seems like the car got sold for a decent amount of money. I wouldn't be able to pay that much for it lets put it that way:(

I think that was a fair price. Such low miles could be a double edge sword. These cars like to be driven at least a little bit. While I love the color combo, I suspect the price may have been higher if it was covered in resale red (sorry Dan). I’m wondering if this is the same car that was listed on Chris Oberts’ site? Happy Monday everyone.

Back