Bob Martin's Abarth Swap

Discussion in 'Nuova 500' started by TonyK, Apr 14, 2019 at 2:43 AM.

1. TonyK

TonyK True Classic

April 13/2019 Bob arrived yesterday and we have been working in the shop most of the day preparing for the installation of the engine. My nephew Mike stopped by to help and see what was going on. Here are a few pictures of what we have been doing and where we are. End of day one.

TonyK.
    Grimsby Ontario Canada,
    With Bob Martin from Radcliff Kentucky.
    IMG_1104.JPG IMG_1107.JPG IMG_1109.JPG IMG_1111.JPG IMG_1112.JPG IMG_1115.JPG IMG_1116.JPG IMG_1118.JPG

2. kmead

kmead Old enough to know better

Nice template, made of aluminum sheet I assume?

3. TonyK

TonyK True Classic

Karl all of the templates and jigs are made of steel sheet or tube. Although I can weld aluminum, welding steel is much easier.

TonyK.
    Grimsby Ontario Canada

kmead likes this.
  4. TonyK

TonyK True Classic

Day 2 continuing on.

Completed the cuts and started to do some welding. Weather here has been 37 degrees with heavy rain and thunder storms.

See pictures.

TonyK.

Grimsby Ontario Canada

IMG_1125.JPG IMG_1126.JPG IMG_1127.JPG IMG_1128.JPG IMG_1122.JPG

Also See this Video.

https://youtu.be/vXEE9Mmx2AQ

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019 at 3:18 AM
    Mike Schofield likes this.
  5. TonyK

TonyK True Classic

Did some more welding but we focused on strut cap/mounts although the mounts seem good and appeared to be part of a lowering kit that used recessed upper rubber bushings. Since the springs were cut Bob just removed the nuts and changed the bushings. The upper bearings were smashed and I turned new ones form delerin. I think this is due to the fact that the springs do not keep a constant pressure on the upper bearing. We are hoping to be done the welding today and sand blast, but things being what they are take more time than we would like it to.

TonyK.

Grimsby Ontario Canada
    IMG_1129.JPG IMG_1131.JPG

Tas and mkmini like this.
  6. TonyK

TonyK True Classic

Day 4.

Well as we worked we found sections of the body that was rusted through. Something in my car that never happened, but takes a fair bit of time to fit and weld in panels. We are just about finished all of the welding and fitting. Hoping tomorrow to prepare to sand blast, but that too will require a fair bit of masking then on to seam sealing and painting the engine bay. See Bob modifying the fuel tank for the bit we need for the turbo charger exhaust.

TonyK.

Grimsby Ontario Canada

IMG_1132.JPG IMG_1133.JPG IMG_1135.JPG IMG_1138.JPG IMG_1142.JPG IMG_1143.JPG

gene cooley, mkmini and kmead like this.
  7. JimD

JimD Waiting for Godot... Moderator

Hi Bob! Swing that hammer! :)

Looks like you guys are making progress. Keep up the good work and the updates.

Mike Schofield likes this.