Bob Martin's Abarth Swap

The engine that would probably be easier to adapt would be the T-jet 1.4 Turbo. I believe in Europe it was used in the 500 Abarth, Alfa Mito. and a few others. A little less hp than the Multi Air but with tuning probably more potential. It may be available in the Asian Australian Market? I thought I saw some on the Chinese Market site Alibaba. One approach I am considering trying is using the readily available 500 Abarth multi air to transplant to a Strada Shell. My thought is if you transplant everything, ECU, Engine, harness, gauges, ignition, etc... Then maybe no problems. I know, easier said than done. But I have a Spare shell, and there for now plenty of Salvage Abarths. The availability of the European T-jet 1.4 does not seem to be that plentiful based on some casual looking that I did on ebay.it and uk. What makes it probably a better swap it less complex with the variable timing, etc.

The issue at hand will be parts. Without a listing in North America shopping on the other side of the pond becomes troublesome. In the words of Bob Martin any engine can be put into any car, but down the road in time when you need parts what are you going to do and where are you going to get the parts from. We wanted to keep the Fiat X1/9 all Fiat, that was our dream, hence the path that was chosen.

TonyK.

Grimsby Ontario Canada.

The particular Alfa Mito engine I have is a 1.4-litre MultiAir turbo four-cylinder producing 125kW (at 5500rpm) and 250Nm.
I have collected ECU, Engine, Part harness, gauges, ignition, Fuel pump etc.... The bits not collected are wheel speed sensors and some gear box connections. Gear box was used to replace one in another car.

Some one other than me should ask Pietro Gorlier or Ralph Gilles for a powertrain only ecu for the 1.4 Abarth. Just like they did for the hellcat motors. Pietro Gorlier and Ralph Gilles are gear heads so they might oblige?

Back