Body Panel Replacement/Repair

LostInCrocs

Low Mileage
Hello!
I'm looking at a 1980 X1/9 that needs a new nose, spoiler, and either extensive rust removal on the hood or a new hood (there are no rust holes on the hood). Does anyone know of a way that I can source good body panels that would fit well with the existing panels?

Welcome! Pics would help - the 'nose' is made of several interlocking panels, and the fenders are all welded. May not be worth the trouble, however good pics would help us give advice.....

Hi,
You are at the right place. Nose cone panels are popping up sometimes. Spoilers availability vary. Midwest Bayless is presently out of stock. https://www.midwest-bayless.com/Fia...3-78-direct-fit-adaptable-on-1979-88-new.aspx

But you may find some used one from a member.

Like Hussein says, a pic would help to advise you. I would probably replace the hood, but if you can't find one locally, it may be better to do a body job because shipping could be expensive on such a large part.

x19side.jpg
x19front.jpg

Worst than I expected. You will need many new parts, maybe including the front fenders. Also need to bend in place the front. The doors are needing care and I can't really see how much rust there is. Then you will need a paint job. Even if you do all the job yourself, it maybe more economically viable to buy a good one to start with and keep this one for parts. We have recently seen bodies for sale between $500 and $1000 that were much better than this one. But they weren't complete running cars. I will let others give their advice. I maybe the extreme one... Good luck!

Worst than I expected. You will need many new parts, maybe including the front fenders. Also need to bend in place the front. The doors are needing care and I can't really see how much rust there is. Then you will need a paint job. Even if you do all the job yourself, it maybe more economically viable to buy a good one to start with and keep this one for parts. We have recently seen bodies for sale between $500 and $1000 that were much better than this one. But they weren't complete running cars. I will let others give their advice. I maybe the extreme one... Good luck!
Thank you very much for the input! I was just drawn to this car 1. because the seller actually responded to my questions and 2. it was $600 and the seller wants it gone and is willing to negotiate.

Good price. I can see you got a set of mag wheels. Is the interior clean? Engine is starting?

A member (Karl) found many cars on Facebook. None is in your price range AND in your area, but this is possible.

Also here is one of the links about the low prices car recently

Good price. I can see you got a set of mag wheels. Is the interior clean? Engine is starting?

A member (Karl) found many cars on Facebook. None is in your price range AND in your area, but this is possible.

Also here is one of the links about the low prices car recently
Thanks for the listings! The interior is pretty clean except the seats would need to be recovered and the radio needs to be put back in. Everything else is there. The owner said the engine had started a few months back so I'm willing to bet it would at least turn over which is fine by me. My major concerns are the body panels for any of these older and more uncommon cars. I estimated to fix the front and get it a little more road worthy (exterior wise), I would need to spend roughly $1500 which includes replacing the front panels that need to be replaced and tires mainly.

Looks like it took a nose hit - so much more involved than just replacing the rusted exterior panels. The chassis on these was very well constructed, the downside of which is that it will be very involved to get the nose right again.

I'd look for a cleaner body, could be a gutted one - and use this one as a parts car to fix that one....

New replacement "repair" body panels are available for many parts of the car (link below). But they really aren't a economically viable option for the most part, especially when the shipping cost from overseas is considered. As others have said, that appears to be a very major project so it may be best to look for a better body and combine the two cars into one decent X1/9.

IMO The car pictured isn't quite "turd" status, but its far from what I'd recommend for someone as a "project car". Its a good parts car.
Offer him $200, and tow it off his property.
Then store the car as a parts car, for when you buy a better example.

Reactions: jrt
Back